Yamaha Ron Woods vs. Muzzy

ron woods or muzzy, and dont say muzzy just becuase they sponsor the website

• Total voters

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Muzzy has offered up a pipe for test. But as is with all professional technical shootouts they want to view the format or atleast be explained the testing format and then want to inspect the results before release. Sounds fair to me but I dont want to hurt my relationship with Muzzy if we get the pipe do the testing and before they get a chance to look the results are blasted on another site. They do not fear losing the shootout whatsoever they just want to verify that they dont get black balled. So if we get confirmation and an agreement we can get it on!!

max powers

Head Ninja In Charge - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Muzzy has offered up a pipe for test. But as is with all professional technical shootouts they want to view the format or atleast be explained the testing format and then want to inspect the results before release. Sounds fair to me but I dont want to hurt my relationship with Muzzy if we get the pipe do the testing and before they get a chance to look the results are blasted on another site. They do not fear losing the shootout whatsoever they just want to verify that they dont get black balled. So if we get confirmation and an agreement we can get it on!!

we are gonna use the same rhino on the same dyno, only change will be the pipe, we can have an invite only to the testing and they are more than welcome to have a rep there. we just want the same as them, the true results.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
perfect...they will hook us up....Not sure they can have a rep there but we can photo document and video as well.....Not sure I can make it if its during the week but if we could do it on a saturday i would love to attend otherwise I will trust you Mark to be the rep for us and get us the results to return to Muzzy and then post up! What do you think?

max powers

Jan 15, 2009
perfect...they will hook us up....Not sure they can have a rep there but we can photo document and video as well.....Not sure I can make it if its during the week but if we could do it on a saturday i would love to attend otherwise I will trust you Mark to be the rep for us and get us the results to return to Muzzy and then post up! What do you think?

I'll talk to john today and see if we can do it on a saturday, invite only, your the picture guys, so you and/or rusty need to be there.

max powers

Jan 15, 2009
awesome!! Just let me know! this is for a 700 right? I am going to see if Muzzys will then let us raffle or give the exhaust away!!

let's get the person who donates there 700 rhino for the, testing gets to keep the winning pipe, I'll see if ron will go for that.

LBR

LBR
Apr 9, 2009
Oregon
I would like to fling out .02 worth here - after the 700 is optimized (fueling) with the stock pipe, toss on the first pipe and do a dyno pull with no adjustments (abort and note if too lean of mixture), then optimize A/F for last pull. Do the same for the other pipe with same A/F mixture. This will leave much less room for controversy afterwards. If this was your intentions, sorry for the post.......LBR

TURBO

I Fly Rhino's For a Living - UTVUnderground Approv
Jan 16, 2009
Solvang CA...30MIN FROM PISMO
well they are going to donate a 700 we could run one of our 660 Muzzy pipes to compare their if we wanted....just not mine cause i got the polished ones and i dont want to risk scratching them! LOL they are purty!
lol ...it wont mater if they get scratched if the 10 to 15 hp short of the woods :D

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Disclaimer, my opinion only applies to everyday all around driving only, not racing.

There are two dynos in this world, the one you strap your machine to the other is seat of the pants, if you’re going to do a pipe shoot you need to include driving, the dyno alone should not decide the winner.

This carries over from my MX racing days, in 1999 I was lucky enough to stumble into a pipe shoot out with the guys from Dirt Rider Mag, it was awesome, they did all the work, all I had to do was ride & tell them what I thought.

An entire day at Elsinore, two identical YZ400's, 200 laps (yes 200, I was in shape then) & 10 pipes later I learned this;
Peak HP numbers DO NOT necessarily make anyone a winner, it’s not the highest peak number but how long those peak numbers can be held & spread out over the power curve..

You may have a bolt on pipe that makes 50HP;) but when driving its flat everywhere else in the power curve and won’t get out of its own way till it hits its peak, is it the winner cause it makes the most hp?

At the end of my one & only time of being a test rider there were two winners, one won on the dyno, the other won on the track. The dyno winner made 1.5 peak hp more than the track winner but was lazy & flat till it got close to its peak number then it would explode with power. It rated 2nd to last in the real world of being on the track but won on the dyno.

I understand Muzzy’s apprehension to releasing the results, an experienced dyno operator can manipulate the numbers easily, an inexperianced operator can unintentionally skew the results. No insult to Pro Shop, just sayin.

Good news travels fast, bad news hits the internet and goes viral.

I know that making power through the rubber band transmission is different than making it through gears & a chain but if your going to do a shoot out, you have to include driving.

max powers

Jan 15, 2009
we would also like to invite any other pipe manufactures to participate.
dynoing someones rhino and test driving it are 2 different things, I wouldn't want my rhino abused like that. that's just me.
the proshop/john is willing to give up a saturday, his dyno and his results
and possibly a woods pipe. anything after that is gonna be tough.

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Doug has some good points, as do others in this thread.

CVT tuning is the first thing that came to my mind. If one is designed to make peak power at a higher rpm than the other, either one could be a winner or loser on a chassis dyno just from clutch setup. You need to use an engine dyno to get unbiased results for gains from a pipe, IMO.

AZ Court has an engine dyno that works on Rhinos, maybe he would be willing to get involved?

TURBO

I Fly Rhino's For a Living - UTVUnderground Approv
Jan 16, 2009
Solvang CA...30MIN FROM PISMO
dino first don't make it so dam complicated lets see some thing happen on this the more you talk about different ways time goes buy and something new will come out and then its to late

max powers

Jan 15, 2009
Doug has some good points, as do others in this thread.

CVT tuning is the first thing that came to my mind. If one is designed to make peak power at a higher rpm than the other, either one could be a winner or loser on a chassis dyno just from clutch setup. You need to use an engine dyno to get unbiased results for gains from a pipe, IMO.

AZ Court has an engine dyno that works on Rhinos, maybe he would be willing to get involved?
ask him chris, We just want to know what pipe is gonna do what with just a simple bolt-on, we want the most accurate results, however that needs to be done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000