Polaris RZR XP4 1000 Complete Fabrication

donkavash

Jul 24, 2014
Hello my friends. I am new here and I must admit I'm not an ATV enthusiast, but I wanted to be. I just saw the picture of Polaris RZR XP4 1000 (4 seater) on the internet and I was in love, my wife & kids too. But, honestly, the problem is it's beyond my budget.

Is it possible to fabricate it from the ground and up, especially the chassis, main frame, suspension link,arm mounting points & motor mount? In that way I can build it gradually, depending on my budget capacity.

Is there a way that I can acquire a complete blueprint and schematics with measurements of the said ATV? I tried downloading the handbook, but there are no measurements.

I just realized that if I wanted to be an ATV enthusiast, building one is the best way to familiarized myself with it. I have a friend with a shop just a couple of blocks away that will help me.

I'm from the Philippines by the way. The Land of the Orient Seas; and we have lovely, educated girls down here.:eek::confused::rolleyes:;):D

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Your not going to find a blue print to build your own. Also I'd bet you would spend double building it one piece at a time.

donkavash

Jul 24, 2014
Any advise for a newbie like me on how to start? Ordering one from the U.S. is way too expensive considering the exchange rate. (1 dollar = 45 pesos):eek::confused:
I really wanted to build something for a start, if possible a 4 seater so my wife and kids can ride too.:eek:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Kumusta Donie. Gusto mo bakit UTV hindi VW dune buggy?
Ha ha. Was I close? I once spoke a little bit of Tagalog/Zambales dialect. No, not a military guy. Pen pal actually. I went to the PI right after Pinatubo's eruption in 1991. Go Candeleria Zambales!

So you guys know what I asked, I wondered why not get a dune buggy frame set up for a VW engine instead. Since he is going to build custom anyway, and the end result most likely will not resemble the XP 1000 all that much, the buggy is a good alternative due to the availability of lots of used components at fair prices. He could shorten the wheelbase, and throw on some utv tires if the look is all that important.

So, have you built tricycles or Jeepney's there before? How far are you from Manila? I dont know where else you will be able to find parts without expensive overseas shipping. If you would like, I can send you pictures of a stock 2014 Can-am Maverick Max 4 seater frame, and details on how the suspension is designed. I am always happy to offer people whatever help I can. I just want you to be sure of what you are getting yourself into before you set sail!

donkavash

Jul 24, 2014
Good day Reid. Thank you for your reply. You got that right! Your Tagalog is excellent! I knew telling where come from will pay of someday. :D
Building a buggy is an excellent advice for a newbie like me; easier to build at lesser cost compared to polaris build. ;)

I'm from Davao Region, way down south in the island of mindanao.

The problem is it is hard to find VW engine and chassis in the Philippines now. What little there is, is expensive because it is considered a collector's item. What we have plenty down here is suzuki 12 valve, the engine being used in multicab. :eek:

I look at the picture of the can-am maverick max 4 seater and I was surprised it almost look like polaris rzr xp 4 1000 and a 4 seater too.:)

If your offer still stands I will love to have all the details you can give concerning the can-am maverick max 4 seater. I may not an expert in building things like this because I have no experience, but I have supportive friends and family. Plus I'm a good student, willing to learn. I know I will have to be patient on this because I will start from scratch, but I'm committed.
My family and I consider this our next big adventure together. That's why 4 seater is important because my wife and kids will join the adventure.:cool:

By the way, is it possible to customize the frame of can-am maverick that I will use suzuki 12 valve and place it on the front like most cars, instead of using the stock engine?
:confused:

email: [email protected]

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Good day Reid. Thank you for your reply. You got that right! Your Tagalog is excellent! I knew telling where come from will pay of someday. :D
Building a buggy is an excellent advice for a newbie like me; easier to build at lesser cost compared to polaris build. ;)

I'm from Davao Region, way down south in the island of mindanao.

The problem is it is hard to find VW engine and chassis in the Philippines now. What little there is, is expensive because it is considered a collector's item. What we have plenty down here is suzuki 12 valve, the engine being used in multicab. :eek:

I look at the picture of the can-am maverick max 4 seater and I was surprised it almost look like polaris rzr xp 4 1000 and a 4 seater too.:)

If your offer still stands I will love to have all the details you can give concerning the can-am maverick max 4 seater. I may not an expert in building things like this because I have no experience, but I have supportive friends and family. Plus I'm a good student, willing to learn. I know I will have to be patient on this because I will start from scratch, but I'm committed.
My family and I consider this our next big adventure together. That's why 4 seater is important because my wife and kids will join the adventure.:cool:

By the way, is it possible to customize the frame of can-am maverick that I will use suzuki 12 valve and place it on the front like most cars, instead of using the stock engine?
:confused:

email: [email protected]
I'll be happy to help you out Donie. We'll begin later on tonight, as I have to get to work for now. You are 15 or 16 hours different time there, correct? I'll start a new thread (subject) for our communications. It will be where I offer my help to you, and others can view and add their comments as well.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Some thoughts ...
Do you have any Ki trucks / cars to use as donors? Subarus, Suzukis, Diahatus are an other good source. Things like independant front and rear ends (diffs, axles, a-arms, even complete subframes) make design and fabrication a bit easier. Inline 4cyls, trans, xfer cases are good candidates. Starting with known suspension design is always a plus, A-arms can be extended (thats all Long Travel kits really are), axle shafts fabbed or extended. And BAM is a master at that. Please do share your project, as non-US fabricator often come up with some amazing designs

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hi Donie. Sorry I dropped the ball, I've just been back logged with so much work. I am still willing to help you with your project. After absorbing what advice you received in this thread, have you made any adjustments as to how you will approach building your own UTV? Let me know what your game plan is, and I will be more than happy to help you along.

The advice given here about buying an existing 4wd chassis of some sort and building from that is sound advice. Especially if you want to include your family on weekend rides. I know you have some basic fabricating skills, and possibly some reverse engineering experience as well. But the fact that you are asking for direction on the design and components of your build indicated that you may not be ready to tackle a ground up design and building of a motorized vehicle. Remember, your children will be riding with you, so safety is #1 for this project!

Let me know when you have a solid game plan, and I will help. In the meantime, do some reading on line about automotive suspension and drive train design and concepts. It's all google-iscious! But, Jim is correct when he says that you will not find anyone willing to give you hard numbers and blue prints on a specific chassis that they designed. The only prints you will find will be for spec cars of some sorts. By that, I mean competition cars that are all identically built to match specific design and safety guidelines where everyone racing in that class has basically the same kind of chassis. These classes are popular mostly in street and dirt oval racing.

Also, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you have adequate metallurgical know how, and descent fab tools and skills, you can "borrow" ideas from many vehicles to make the car that fits your needs. If you are mechanically inclined, copying what works is not a bad approach to successfully building your toy, and enjoying driving it rather than constantly changing things until it works!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Donie are Suzuki Samurai's avalable where you live? I know they were in the Philippines before. A Samurai has the wheel base of a UTV and has 4 wheel drive. I have read where many people have used the Samurai as their starting platform. They cut them up and make tubed frames like a buggy on the stock frame rails. I don't know if you know what a King of the Hammers (KOTH) vehicle looks like? Basically they made minature versions of this with the Samurai.

If this is a possible starting place for making your own trail buggy, maybe check websites like AVRider.com or Pirate4x4.com. Both sites have forums. AVRider is more bikes but I have read & seen stories which show these hand made vehicles from other country's. Pirate has a specific Suzuki Samurai forum, plus rock buggy crawling. If you search you will find many custom conversions using basic vehicles found in those regions.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here are a few links to Suzuki Samurai buggy home builds. Like I mentioned this might be a good option as you would be starting with a basic vehicle that had all the drivetrain and you can build off of it. Plus you can start basic and modify as you go. You could even keep the leaf spring suspension at first until you have the money to make it coil over shocked, then later add the coils as you get the money.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/1563434-samurai-buggy-less-more.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/841093-coops-zuki-buggy-build-adventure.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000