RZR XPT. Fox Interbypass Rebuild

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
Well I got back to it today. I got the tools made and was able to get the second shock apart. For some reason I can't upload a photo so I will have to post a picture later.

The compression adjuster does not need a spanner wrench...just push it in, remove the clip and it will pull straight out.

Now I am having trouble getting the seal head, wiper seal installed and onto the shaft. Does anyone know any tricks?

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Fox has what I'd consider the proper way to make an IBP. Which makes them hard to custom set up properly. Walker and King make theirs differently. And look like they would be easier to tune?

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
So here are the "special" tools it takes. If I had more time I would have machined them. Anyways...not so special but you'll probably need them to rebuild/revolve the shocks.

Attachments

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
The T handle is for the reservoir piston. Are the other two for the unscrewing the seal head out of the shock body? Got anymore pictures of the internals?

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
The t-handle as you mentioned is for the resivor piston. It is a #10/24(?) course thread.

The other tools are for the seal head pictured below. One came out pretty easy, but the other I couldn't get without making the tools.

IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2405.JPG

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I still can't quite figure out what is going on here. I don't see what taking the black part off the gold part does? Do I need the tools to get the shock apart for a revalve? Does the gold part hold the inner sleeve in place and the black part is a double locking ring?

Your the first person on the internet to take these shocks apart and share any information, so all the details and pictures you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
OK, I got it figured out. I went out to the garage and knocked the dust cap off of my front shock and saw that it's what I thought, the gold part holds the inner sleeve in and the black part is a locking ring for it. And I'm assuming since the front is 2 1/2's and the rears are three inch, that it will take four of these tools to take the two different sizes apart.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
So now I'm confused again. I'm sitting here thinking about it as I watch the Baja 500, and I decided to go pop the dust cap off again and look up there with a mirror and a flashlight. The shock does in fact have the wire clip holding the bearing/seal head in place. So it looks like any other shock, release the nitrogen pressure, push in on the head a little bit and remove the wire ring and then pull the shaft out. So I still don't understand what this black and gold not assembly is about.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
But with that inner sleeve needing to be held in place, I would think that you would not be able to push in on the head to get the wire ring out? Because that would mean that that sleeve has enough room to slide up and down a little bit which can't be true. I'm so confused.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I think I finally figured it out. To remove the seal head, you hold the gold piece in place and then you screw the black piece in which will then give you slack and allow you to remove the wire clip. The whole purpose of the black and gold part is once you're putting it back together the black part you screw out which will push against the wire clip pushing the gold piece in locking the inner sleeve in place. Correct?

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
Sorry...I didn't realize I had missed all these post. I've been real busy and this project is low on the list right now.

I think I finally figured it out. To remove the seal head, you hold the gold piece in place and then you screw the black piece in which will then give you slack and allow you to remove the wire clip. The whole purpose of the black and gold part is once you're putting it back together the black part you screw out which will push against the wire clip pushing the gold piece in locking the inner sleeve in place. Correct?
Yes, you are correct in your assessment. Did you purchase the service manual or is it on line?

What are the pin diameters on the spanner wrenches you made?
The inner is 1/4" and the outer is 3/16".

OK, I got it figured out. I went out to the garage and knocked the dust cap off of my front shock and saw that it's what I thought, the gold part holds the inner sleeve in and the black part is a locking ring for it. And I'm assuming since the front is 2 1/2's and the rears are three inch, that it will take four of these tools to take the two different sizes apart.
[/QUOTE}

There is a chance they are the same. I am going to finish the fronts before I take the rears apart.

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
Just finished reassembling the front shocks. Between my work, the heat and other projects, this just doesn't seem to get enough of my time. Not to mention...I've been waiting on replacement axles for my Lone Star long travel kit that just showed up last week. I'll be starting a whole other thread on that issue which I'm not to happy about.

Last edited:

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
I have a valving thread on here. Not much info in it, but I'd sure like hear what you do to the valving. I'll bump the thread for you.

I also have a thread on installing Schrader valves.
It's taken a long time to get my RZR back on wheels. I have been working with Lone Star since March to get the correct axle length on the Lone Star kit that I installed in February. Since I had the springs off to cycle the suspension and check the axle length the RZR has been sitting on jack stands for way to long. Anyways, I finally received the axles last Saturday and got it back together last weekend.

Before the Lone Star kit, I was running the Eibach stage II spring kit. It worked well but the shocks would fade out on any long run and needed some work.

After installing the long travel kit, the stage II springs were not adequate so I ordered a stage III kit. I installed the heavier springs on the front only. IMO the stage III springs are too heavy for stock suspension.

I always felt that the RZR had to much compression and not enough rebound so I wanted to lighten up the compression to where the adjusters weren't almost all the way open. When I rebuilt the shocks, I added Schrader valves, new Fox oil, removed one of the two 1.425 X .15 compression shims and set the pressure to 100PSI.

Today was the first day out and WOW!...what a difference. I still need to rebuild the rear shocks and do some more fine tuning but this was another big step in the right direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000