SDR1 Build: Stage I

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Well, I finished up my new shifter linkage, and partially finished my shifter (broke a drill bit) last night.

Did some measuring, and Im going to need some limit straps. Im currently drooping out with 30 degrees on the CVs, which is a bit much for the type 2s, even the race prepped ones.

Plus my sway bar is hitting the motor mounts at full compression, so I have to figure something out for that.

Running out of time, with a huge list of to dos!!! Arrrrggghhhhh!!!!! :)

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Looks great Ben. To bad I will not be able to race you with my SR1. I'll just have to run the sh@t out of the Muzzy 800 & try to keep up with the R1's:D

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Bobby - "no go" on seeing if Lucas will split the classes? I was hoping you and Dan could race with us...!

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Uhh, I dont think thats his problem as of yet... LOL
My crashed SR1 is getting fixed as I type. Dan & Celvin are working hard tonight fixing it after I decided to let a rookie UTV driver (Celvin) drive it on a MX track. 2 gear topped out is just too fast in a SR1 to hit a 40' table top. Can we say 6 big nasty rolls @ 60+MPH = one f-up UTV.
Dan & I would love to run the SR1 class unfortunately Lucas says they don’t have time in the schedule to spit us. So we all will still be racing just in two totally different handing UTV's. I would say the SR1's with a dry track are going to be the ones up front. 85MPH down the strait away will be hard to beat. It will be for sure some great UTV racing Action.
Sorry Ben, Back to your build. Now hurry up & get that thing done so we can see what you’re made of:D:D

Wild Earp

Sorry Ben, Back to your build. Now hurry up & get that thing done so we can see what you’re made of:D:D
Sorry to hear about your SR1 car Bobby! My racing partner ran a Modified paved oval car for a while, and EVERY time he lent or rented it out, they crashed it. Bad news for sure.

Im working as fast as I can, and hope to be out there soon! I wasnt at all ready for my first Lucas race in the unlimited car, and I vowed this time, to be REALLY ready. :)

Wild Earp

Well, a few setbacks, and it looks like we wont be ready for Rd 1&2, but we have finally got past those problems, and I got to drive the SR1 today for the first time (albeit just down the street and back).

The fuel injection tuning is WAY off, at least I hope thats whats causing the severe stumbling all the way up to about 8k, and then it rips pretty good. Only got to second gear, but it shifts smooth. The new electra steer power steering was very nice, and cant wait to try it out on a track.

Ive got some minor popping from one CV joint, so Ill probably have to pull it and check it. And Motogary let me know he is starting to get a little hot on the track using the same radiator as me, so I ordered up a Fluidyne from Peter D Motorsports.

I figure Ill take it out this weekend, and work on the Powercommander III tuning, and see if I cant get it running top notch, and then to the track next week for some suspension tuning.

Its always exciting, the maiden voyage, of a long project like this. And now I cant wait to get it in the dirt!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
keep going strong and get the bugs worked out.

i bet you still have a grin from that little drive down the street, huh? i know i did.

Wild Earp

what radiator wasn't quiet doing the job?

G-
Rhino Alba radiator. It was fine in the desert, but started getting hot on the track. I asked him a few weeks ago how it was doing, since I had the same, and he was nice enough to update me recently. I already had it with mounts and all, so I thought I'd try it, before selling it, and starting over.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Rhino Alba radiator. It was fine in the desert, but started getting hot on the track. I asked him a few weeks ago how it was doing, since I had the same, and he was nice enough to update me recently. I already had it with mounts and all, so I thought I'd try it, before selling it, and starting over.
I didnt figure that radiator would work....I sold mine without even trying;)

Wild Earp

yeah, I figured it wouldnt, but MotoGarys first reports were promissing. I figured since the mounts were already done, id give it a shot, and just made up temporary hoses using stuff I already had. Now we'll do it right. The radiator I ordered is the same one Stetler used, and it will be setup as a top/bottom tank, has all the fittings at the bottom, including ports for the 1/2" oil cooler return, and 3/8" ports for both sides for the thermostat bleed line, and waterpump bleed line.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
yeah, I figured it wouldnt, but MotoGarys first reports were promissing. I figured since the mounts were already done, id give it a shot, and just made up temporary hoses using stuff I already had. Now we'll do it right. The radiator I ordered is the same one Stetler used, and it will be setup as a top/bottom tank, has all the fittings at the bottom, including ports for the 1/2" oil cooler return, and 3/8" ports for both sides for the thermostat bleed line, and waterpump bleed line.
from what Ghettosled says thats the way to go in piping the bleed lines for optimum cooling.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
How much was that radiator....I'm looking that the PWR built for busa mini buggies. Its a little bigger than stetlers set up. Then i was gonna run the oil cooler seperate...probably keeping it up front.

Wild Earp

Peter D Motorsports - Parts Catalog

$299 for rad, $20 for billet neck (tig welded in your location of choice), $97 for Spal fan

Cheaper than what I payed for my tiny little Alba! And I found the same fan on ebay for 65. Ill have SDR build the mounts and a shroud.

I dont see any reason to run an external oil cooler. As long as your radiator is big enough, the stock oil to water cooler should be more than enough. Plus a air cooler may actually cool the oil too much. These motors like to be hot, from what Ive read (220* on the block temp sensor).

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
yup my fan kicks on at 217* and i got it up to 254* while running Olds hill hard 6 times nonstop. stoped and let it idle for 15 minutes and the fan pulled it down no problem.

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
i have a peter d radiator on my rhino works great i have my fan running all the time and my temps would be 180-200 some times 215 on a hot day... on my new setup the console is a wind tunnel so should be better getting air flow on that big hot motor sitting beside me...

Wild Earp

I didnt really trust the quality on the ebay radiators, and only wanted to do the fab once (more). I knew the cooling should be good, but how long will it last getting beaten on in a offroad car? Plus I like how the Peter D has all the extra ports needed to properly plumb the R1, without the need for adapters, or having someone add bungs to the radiator. And its made specifically for liter bike engines in cars.

Too big a radiator can be worse than too small, as the pump might not be able to move fluid through it efficiently enough. Ghettosled even tried adding a external secondary pump to his to fight his cooling problems. (I think it was just his bleed lines being wrong that caused the high temps though).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000