SR1 Comments and Concerns

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
ya it sux racing is expensive, but yet again its what we choose to do haha. Sorta self inflicted.. It cant be any worse than built utv motors you know ... at least with these they are wicked fast stock and have rules limiting what you can do to the motors to keep it cheap unlike unlimited utv.. The good thing is if it brings big names to these cars by running these motors, it would help get more sponsors looking that way which i know all the utv world wants.
Big names and sponsors will bring more people that want to do motor swaps in there kawis,razrs,nessies, and run other motors and spec class will change and get very expensive in my opinion.I would love to race this class but I feel the rules will change constantly and make it very expensive.

side x side tv

Banned Por Vida
Aug 5, 2009
Big names and sponsors will bring more people that want to do motor swaps in there kawis,razrs,nessies, and run other motors and spec class will change and get very expensive in my opinion.I would love to race this class but I feel the rules will change constantly and make it very expensive.
i think Big names and more sponsors will come and more people will want to see 1000cc rhino,kawis,razrs,nessies and so on. i dont think it will get very expensive in my opinion if you limit it to just 1000cc motors (02-08) with just the bolt on stuff. just my opinion

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
i think Big names and more sponsors will come and more people will want to see 1000cc rhino,kawis,razrs,nessies and so on. i dont think it will get very expensive in my opinion if you limit it to just 1000cc motors (02-08) with just the bolt on stuff. just my opinion
If your chassis is outdated its going to be very expensive to update.In the desert races or local races you can easily get buy on your older stuff but if you want to run with the big boys in short course its gonna cost you.

rbr

Ryan Beat Monster Energy/Kawasaki & Osborn Racing
Mar 8, 2010
Southern California
I agree just limit the class to 1000cc motors and run it weather its polaris, rhino or teryx. It may be just my opinion but the only thing i think big names and sponsors are gunna bring to a spec utv class is competiton. Many ppl on here have given personal examples of what they have had to spend on motor for the utv class before the r1. Not one of them said it was cheaper. Ya the change over or conversion part might be expensive but think about what you will save in the long run ....and as for chasis gettin old and out dated, that happens in every form of racing. Something everyone has to deal with. No one holds a gun to anyones head and says you need to buy the new technology, but Once again that is the nature of the beast with racing, somethin we all choose to take part in. If you want to be competitve you have to stay current with technology no matter how much you dislike it bc if you dont you can bet the next guy will. At the end of the day it all comes down to Racing Is Expensive. No matter what there is always going to be ppl who push the envelope. As long is there are rules that are inforced it will help keep the costs down......But remember There is nothin wrong with doing the best with what you got..

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
We don't intend on changing the rules of this class - at least not any time soon. I feel that changing the rules (beyond perhaps a safety tweak here or there if warranted) would be a dis-service to everyone who has already committed to this class and has spent money to be a part of it. To everyone who has bought a Rhino chassis over a Teryx they have sitting in their garage, and to everyone who spent money on an R1 motor when they had a GSXR motor on their bench. Everyone racing and building these cars right now is joining the class for the rules that are currently in place - because they think it sounds like fun and there is something in it's strict rulebase that they are attracted to. They are not joining it in the hopes that it will change - they are racing it for what it is right now. For LOORRS, this is their class now and they are in charge of it in their series, but I believe they respect the rules and will protect the whole basis for this class as well.

This class was born because the current competitive field was too open.....too many motor styles, etc. were grouped up together and it just wasn't close competition. To open this class up to a similar scenario would ruin the whole reason it was created in the first place.

This class is here - it's been accepted in it's entirety for the rules that it currently has and for the spirit for which it was intended, and it's going to be a fun season for anyone who feels that this class is a good fit for them. Getting too far ahead of this class and spending a lot of time speculating on what could potentially happen is kind of a waste of time at this point - at the very beginning of it's first season. I'm not saying there won't be any flexibility or serious discussion among SR1 racers and promoters somewhere down the line, but I am saying that it's got a solid foundation right now that needs to be allowed to play out for a season before considering any real changes. :)

Reactions: 1 person

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
We don't intend on changing the rules of this class - at least not any time soon. I feel that changing the rules (beyond perhaps a safety tweak here or there if warranted) would be a dis-service to everyone who has already committed to this class and has spent money to be a part of it. To everyone who has bought a Rhino chassis over a Teryx they have sitting in their garage, and to everyone who spent money on an R1 motor when they had a GSXR motor on their bench. Everyone racing and building these cars right now is joining the class for the rules that are currently in place - because they think it sounds like fun and there is something in it's strict rulebase that they are attracted to. They are not joining it in the hopes that it will change - they are racing it for what it is right now. For LOORRS, this is their class now and they are in charge of it in their series, but I believe they respect the rules and will protect the whole basis for this class as well.

This class was born because the current competitive field was too open.....too many motor styles, etc. were grouped up together and it just wasn't close competition. To open this class up to a similar scenario would ruin the whole reason it was created in the first place.

This class is here - it's been accepted in it's entirety for the rules that it currently has and for the spirit for which it was intended, and it's going to be a fun season for anyone who feels that this class is a good fit for them. Getting too far ahead of this class and spending a lot of time speculating on what could potentially happen is kind of a waste of time at this point - at the very beginning of it's first season. I'm not saying there won't be any flexibility or serious discussion among SR1 racers and promoters somewhere down the line, but I am saying that it's got a solid foundation right now that needs to be allowed to play out for a season before considering any real changes. :)
Corry,I dont think the rules should or will change this year but I do think they will get changed in the future.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Buy the way,I am a fan of this class and am looking forward to Speedworld.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
If you are required to have a second seat, it should be a fully operational racing seat, that matches the drivers seat. I think its funny to require a second seat, just for it to be a superlight unusable seat, and or covered up with aluminum.

I ran my passenger seat at the Elsinore round last year, and was surprised not to see many other passenger seats. Im fine either way, as long as its enforced. I personally would like to run it without, as my car is pig heavy, and my seat with mounts weights like 30 lbs! :)

Its not like they would ever let us race with a passenger. They were going to do that with the superlites, and someone got hurt the first race, so no passengers...
yes you can have a passenger, but why would you when you just added mroe weight, hell there used to be a "double class" and you had to have a passenger.

trucks not having passenger seat is a poor argument, these are called SxS's

having the pass seat also plays into having to engineer around it.

the rules used to state that you could have a "racing" seat and a matching one or a "stock seat" in the pass location, this went away last year when new SxS showed up without them.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Actually everyone calls them UTV's...its the Unlimited UTV class not the unlimited SXS class......Passenger seat and passenger should just be options in my opinion....And Ben had a valid argument, how many trucks do you go buy off the lot with only 1 seat?

SR1's are here and are here to stay. So if your building a street bike powered UTV and you want to race LOORRS you better be building an SR1 otherwise your not running in the big show. There will be lots of other series for those to run in but I dont htink we will see it LOORRS anytime soon. Not unless someone with money comes in and changes it around with payouts and what not. Until then VIVA LA SR1! And Unlimited UTV of course!! Still my favorite, sorry Weller! hahahah You know I got love for you!!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
From the LOORRS UTV Rule Book

Quote:
UTVR-4 EQUIPMENT
A. No passenger is allowed on/in the race vehicle any time the vehicle is in motion.

Quote:
UTVR-8 SEATS
A. Only manufactured race seats are permitted. Custom manufactured aluminum seats must be approved by LOORRS.
B. All seats, rib protectors, leg extensions, and head rests must be padded.
C. Headrests are required and must be a minimum of 36 square inches in area.
D. Passenger seats are not required.
E. All seats must be securely mounted to frame of vehicle and properly reinforced in such a manner as to keep seat from moving in relationship to the frame.

RZRS EDGE RACING

Sharp As A RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
Well, they are still cool. But I think a GSXR in my RZRS would spank it. Couldnt see myself in a Rhino :eek: did I just say that, HAHAHAHA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000