Stay away from Fred Cumming Honda

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Some of you may have/have not read our thread on the build up of our shop Cognito Kawasaki teryx. Anyways we converted our 2008 Teryx over to fuel Injection. In doing so we had to source 2010 kawasaki teryx parts. Most of out parts came from Fred Cuming Honda of Bakersfield thru Madhouse Motorsports. Madhouse is set up to buy dirrect from them. Fred Cummings is the local Honda, Kawasaki, Can am dealership. Well once we had all of the necessary parts gathered we borrowed a friends 2010 Teryx so that we could route the wiring in the proper location and also track down the differences between the 2008 and 2010.

So once our entire car was plugged in, hooked up, gassed up, and ready to fire off for the first time. Nothing...we cranked and cranked and it wouldn’t fire. So we broke out the multimeter and started testing. In a few minutes we found that the ECU was not sending the proper voltage (Ours was sending 2 volts)to the starter relay for the car to fire. So we pulled the ECU off of our friend’s 2010 teryx and boom! The car fired right up on the first shot. No big deal right? Wrong!

So the following week we took the ECU back to Fred Cumming Honda and dropped it off at the parts counter letting them know the ECU was bad and we need to get a new one on order. At that time we were informed that they would need to test it to find out if what we were telling them was correct. So we told them sure thats fine.

Well a day Later...The owner Gareth Call Chad From Madhouse motorsports and ripped his a$$!! first for letting us pick up our parts there, and second Gareth claimed that we were trying to pull a fast one and give them back a different ECU than what they sold us. Come to find out the ECU that they sold us, and we dropped back off was for a 2009 and our receipt is for a 2010. How they can determine that by looking at a black ECU I have no Idea but that’s what they claimed. So Chad assured Gareth that was not the case and if he didn’t believe us that he should send the part back to Kawasaki for them to test it. At that time we were pressed for time and asked that he order us a new ECU and we would pay for the second one and once Kawasaki was able too look at the first ECU and test weather or not we were given faulty parts they could refund us on the first ECU at that time. Gareth, owner of Fred Cummings refused, and said his dealership would be at stake. So needless to say we got hosed. I don’t doubt there was a mistake somewhere down the road. But it was not on our end. We were basically accused of being Crooks.:mad::mad::mad:

So this is Just a FYI for anyone that may be considering using this dealership in the future. Based on our experience I would NEVER buy anything from Fred Cumming Honda of Bakersfield again.

FBT

That kind of customer service can put a company out of business these days, if enough people hear about it it can wreak havoc on a company, and it sounds like they have got it coming.
I know this, when Jim puts together the parts list and general directions for converting an 08 and gets it out here for us to follow, I won't be buying my parts from that joint.

(hint, hint, LOL)

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
That kind of customer service can put a company out of business these days, if enough people hear about it it can wreak havoc on a company, and it sounds like they have got it coming.
I know this, when Jim puts together the parts list and general directions for converting an 08 and gets it out here for us to follow, I won't be buying my parts from that joint.

(hint, hint, LOL)
Jeff Ill see what I can put together. The throttle bodies are off a different vehicle, then most of the other parts are OEM. I think the muzzy conversion is probably a cheaper way to go.

FBT

Well if the Muzzy kit is cheaper then I am probably out of luck.
At some point I want to do the engine, and the Muzzy FI kit lists for 2400 bucks so it will probably be the old deal where I have to choose one or the other.
I guess I'll stay with the idea of doing an 840, and take it somelace to have it tuned on the dyno, or buy a AF gauge and tune it myself.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I think we are somewhere near 3500 into our conversion. If Im not mistaken the harness,ecu,and tip over sensor was close to 1K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000