Yamaha Steering Quickener

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Is anyone using a steering quickener on an R1 Rhino? If so, how do you like/dislike it? Do you use it on sand, dirt, rocks or all of the above?

lmcarraher

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 19, 2011
apple valley ca. 92307
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT POWER STEERING ?
OR,,
I HAVE THE BILLIT KING RACING RACK AND LOVE IT,, NO MORE TURNING THE WHEEL ALL AROUND TO MAKE FULL TURNS NOW WHEN I TURN THE WHEEL ITS FAST AND WAY LESS WORK...
HOPE THIS HELPS

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
Is anyone using a steering quickener on an R1 Rhino? If so, how do you like/dislike it? Do you use it on sand, dirt, rocks or all of the above?
i was looking into this also.I thought less turns would be nice.After I talked to kenny at black rhino and looking at the race rhino I decided against it.He said that quicker steering would make the wheel want to jerk out of your hands break your thumbs even more then just stock.less turns sounds good but it might oversteer.??A rack unit is 7-800 bucks ,so I went with the unisteer power assist unit .unit was $700 and i've read great things about it.hope this helps.(me and you)Greg

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
i was looking into this also.I thought less turns would be nice.After I talked to kenny at black rhino and looking at the race rhino I decided against it.He said that quicker steering would make the wheel want to jerk out of your hands break your thumbs even more then just stock.less turns sounds good but it might oversteer.??A rack unit is 7-800 bucks ,so I went with the unisteer power assist unit .unit was $700 and i've read great things about it.hope this helps.(me and you)Greg
That is exactly what I was worried about. I'm in the process of relocating the steering wheel and I figured if there was a time to add a quickener it would be now. I've already upgraded to a Gear One rack so I think I'll just relocate the wheel and call it a day. Thanks.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
The best setup is a combination of power steering (Unisteer) AND a quickener - either 1.5:1 or 2:1. If you can't get both, then yes, I'd go with just the power steering. A quickener without power steering really sucks.......

I raced without either forever......after I finally got the combo, it made racing and the dunes so much nicer!! When you go as fast as the R1's go, I think that combination is almost necessary.

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
I have a modifed Kawasaki Mule PS on my car with a 1.5 to 1 quickner and I love it. The quicker takes away a little of the steering ease at slow speeds but the new ratio is awesome for the kind of driving I do. I bounced the idea of putting the quickner after the PS unit but for simple installation I went with the quickner bettween the steering wheel and the PS unit.

I suppose you could go with a quick ratio rack but I wanted to stay with perfectly good stock stuff and not spend the money on a new rack.

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for power steering and a quickener. Can anyone post a couple of pics of their set up? Thanks again.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Good idea going with both.You will love it.I had just the quickener and it was a work out.I just added the p/s and the Teryx is way more fun to drive.

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
It seems we are both in the same stages of our builds.thinking maybe i should get the quickiner too.pics of anyones simular set up would be awesome!greg

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
What quickener is everyone using? Does it go steering wheel, quickener, power steering, rack? Or wheel, P.S., quickener, rack?

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
WTF???? Ben, I checked the price for the power steering unit through summitracing.com yesterday and you were right. It WAS selling for $675.00. I checked it again this morning and it was $995. What the hell is going on here? Did someone call to B!t(# about that or what? :mad:

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
WTF???? Ben, I checked the price for the power steering unit through summitracing.com yesterday and you were right. It WAS selling for $675.00. I checked it again this morning and it was $995. What the hell is going on here? Did someone call to B!t(# about that or what? :mad:
ordered mine last week from summit, so I should get mine tomorrow.$675.00.They HAVE been on back order so..?good luck.!

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Wow, that sucks. Yeah, I double checked it last night prior to ordering and it was still 685 or something like that. I guess it could have been a error, and they have been selling them for the wrong price, but I bought mine from them like 6 months ago!

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
:mad::mad::mad:(*&#(*&)#(^))(@_)(*#&)(*&^#*&^)(#*)Q@#(*_#:mad::mad::mad:

Just my luck...:(

Well, Jason at Weller is working on putting together a package for me. If the price is good, I'll put it on my

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
I went with Weller Racing's quickener and ordered the power steering from them too. Jason put a package together that included the shafts, ujoints, mounts, and brackets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000