Still want to debate the HELMET LAW????

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
Here we go again.......I never said I support the law, I said it doesn't affect me because i already wear a helmet by choice. My statements are based upon safety, not law as Joey asked and originally posted the thread to be. Quite frankly I don't give a eff if you guys chose to wear one or not, law or no law. Life is about choices, chose follow the rules or don't, chose to be safer or don't. Anyway you look at it you have a choice. That is your right!
Did you miss the two time I stated I was just bustin balls? Third times a charm I guess.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
So in one sentence you say you respect me for my decision to wear a helmet then you essentially call me a spineless pushover? lol If thats respect then go ahead and keep it, I don't want it or need it.

it's all good either way, I'm a big boy. What I don't get is its a helmet? it protects you! Im not gonna call the waaambulance over it, I'm gonna ride with one on instead. Believe it or not, I actually sent cook an email in regards to the helmet issue as well last year when it was a hot topic. I was always down for the cause.

I'm not sure how old your parents are but there are helmets that weigh almost as much as a baseball cap? I have been trailering my machines to AZ to ride with my parents since 2006. I don't mind it, nice change of pace. My dad comes to Glamis once in a blue moon to ride with me an while he may not like it he would rather wear a helmet and ride with me then not.

Anyway, there is more important stuff to work on then bickering about what's done. I guess I would just rather be a spineless pushover enjoying my sport an hobby with no head trauma then be sitting around a fire crying in my beer about a piece of plastic.
I didn't call YOU one, thats aimed at the manufacturers that are cowering to CPSC. If I thought you were, trust me, I would call you and tell you. I've had a sxs since 04, ive put some shitty miles on with no scary close calls where I thought I needed a helmet. Ive worn them hit and miss, don't like them. BUT I STILL WANT IT TO BE MY CHOICE...........................

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
This is such a ridiculous statement! The property belongs to us. Government "for the people, BY THE PEOPLE"!! Public land does not belong to the government, it belongs to the public...which is you and I.
Try that same arguement in court and see how far you get!

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
I guess one picture showing a cracked skull "proves" Arctic Cat make chitty SxS? How about we debate that! :D

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I hate to say it, but this proves we do need to wear helmets!

Until these manufactures can build a proper safe roll cage and real off-road seat belts. Then I think we will need to wear helmets! You are more likely to get hurt due to the crappy designed and built cage then your head actually hitting a rock. We need to protect ourselves from the manufactures cheap short cuts.

I was one of the most vocal against Paul Cook's AB1595 which made helmets the law and was attempting to eliminate short or young children from riding and outlawing aftermarket rear seats.

I still believe it should be your choice to wear a helmet or add rear seats. But I also believe these UTV manufactures build cheap, thin walled tube, poor quality, unsafe roll cages. Most stock cages have zero triangulation. A die-angle tube behind the drivers head is what helps keep the cage from shifting in a roll over. Look at the "A" pillar angle of the Artic Cat. The angle is so steep it is bound to fail.

And the factory seat belts are even worse! The video was removed but does anyone remember the Russian's Can Am Maverick video that was on here several months ago. You saw when the one guy rolled in a field he was almost ejected and the stock seat belt did nothing to hold him in place. I believe his hands on the steering wheel kept him in the car more then the seat belt did. A matter of fact I believe the seat latch also failed causing the seat to come loose from the chassis.

Polaris's latest & greatest creation is the JaggedX HO UTV. This is a joke and the only plus is the extra HP. The cage is no better and they actually eliminated the die-angle tubes which the standard XP4 came with. Also they hype up the fact that it comes factory with race seats. Big deal! Yes the PRP seats are much better then stock, but they are still mounted on a single release pin latch and still use retractable three point automotive buckle seat belts.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
I guess one picture showing a cracked skull "proves" Arctic Cat make chitty SxS? How about we debate that! :D
That's the reality here... It's been said before. If the manufacturers who pushed for the helmet laws were really concerned with safety, they would equip these with good cages and belts. Once again these laws were designed to protect the manufacturers and apparently "save our sport". I wear a helmet now and I'm glad I do. The only difference now is that I catch way more air! Lol! No fear!

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
Holy moly, this thing dragged on, opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. These vehicles are made for the general public, and built to keep the price reasonable during production. I don't trust the OEM cages, and i dont trust the general public, the least I can do is wear a helmet, and that's my choice. I carry insurance, others don't. I can be accountable for my actions, others can't. Not everyone has access to fab tools, and or the experience to make these vehicles safer. I enjoy this sport, it brings family and friends together, and that's why I'll keep wearing a helmet, and switch out cage, seats, and add harness 's first thing. And remember Murphy's law is always around, so expect by the unexpected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000