STOCK Polaris Xp Class @ The Lucas Oil Regional Series??? Need your input

Dirty

DIRTY iPhone Photog / Lucas Oil - UTVUnderground A
Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Hey UTVUnderground members,

With the popularity of the new Polaris RZR XP a question came up. If we were to have a (Stock XP class) for this with some safety requirements like a Cage, fire suits/ extinguisher, window nets doors, and other safety items would this be like the new SuperStock Rhino Class was back in the day?? Elsinore/Perris / Racetown ect?

-I believe that there are enough XP's to have a 20 car field at all the regionals. What are your thoughts?

- Are there enough Can Ams to race?

-WildCats are just getting released. This Vehicle is a good fit but none are available to race.

-Could you incorporate the RZR 800, S models without modifying the motors? and how many would race?

Let us know your thoughts?

Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series Releases 2012 Schedule

Corona, CA (December 6, 2011) The Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series released the 2012 regional schedule today for both Arizona and Southern California with Utah dates TBA. The Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series Arizona will be hosting a 7 race series on 3 different tracks across Arizona while the Southern California series schedule will see the addition of the new and improved Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park to join Glen Helen Raceway on its 6 race schedule. Both series will finish out the points season at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the first ever Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Shootout bringing together racers from all over the west to battle it out.

"We are excited by the growth that all of our Lucas Oil Regional Series have seen this year," said Southern California series director Lee Perfect. "We have seen that with sponsor, racer and spectator support it is definitely possible to put on affordable, fun grassroots events that provide a place for racers to do some good racing, get some practice for the professional series and come out and just have a good time with a limited budget and time commitment. We are excited to offer a new venue in Southern California and are certain that the end of the year shootout is going to be a great addition to the schedule for everyone. The overall focus of all of the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series has been to keep everything affordable, fun and family friendly and we look forward to working together to continue to do that in 2012."

2012 Lucas Oil Regional Series Schedule:

Southern California

February 18 - Glen Helen Raceway, San Bernardino, CA
March 10 - Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park, Lake Elsinore, CA
June 9 - Glen Helen Raceway, San Bernardino, CA
July 21 – Glen Helen Raceway, San Bernardino, CA
September 29 – Lake Elsinore Raceway, Lake Elsinore, CA
November 10 – Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, NV

Arizona
February 18 – Speedworld Off Road Park, Surprise, AZ
March 18 – Firebird International Raceway, Chandler, AZ
May 5 – Speedworld Off Road Park, Surprise, AZ
June 9 – Kingman Fairgrounds, Kingman, AZ
September 15 – Speedworld Off Road Park, Surprise, AZ
October 14 – Firebird International Raceway, Chandler, AZ

Utah
TBD

For more information on the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series Arizona please see www.arizonashortcourse.com. For more information on the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series Southern California please see www.lucasoilregional.com.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Are you saying have a class just for RZR XPs? As the UTV classes stand now, the XPs are already able to race - at least at the AZ regionals.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I think the idea of a Stock Spec Class is awesome! This is a Win Win situation if ya think about it. This would allow alot of people with limited resources (Money, Time, Race Team, Knowledge ect) the ability to race. Second, in my opinion this creates better viewing for the spectators due to the fact that all the cars are equal in power and weight, it comes down to the best driver:D

Just my 3.5 cents:rolleyes:

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I really like the idea of a box stock class with safety equipment such as 5 pt harnesses, cage with GOOD doors, window nets, roof etc. But I think it shouldn't be for one model of one brand. Make it 1000cc stock motor limit. Polaris XP 900's can easily compete against the CA and AC 1000's. I could see this class getting HUGE. The aftermarket companies would thrive with the cages, belts, etc and if dealers got behind some drivers or teams it would be just like motocross in the 70's and 80's. Hundreds racing!

I would think that the safety items could be installed for less than $3k. Yes/no?

People could get a taste of racing and if they liked it they could move up to WORCS, Lucas or Best in the Desert.

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
I think this REGIONAL may have some potential in being successful. First off the new locations will help bring more SoCal racers to Lake Elsinore. Like Bajaxp said there should be a 1000cc class and keep the competition at a even level.There needs to be a place to race our slow RHINOS too.

WHATS THE COST BREAK DOWN TO RACE?

ENTRY TO RACE?
ENTRY TO PARK?

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
I really like the idea of a box stock class with safety equipment such as 5 pt harnesses, cage with GOOD doors, window nets, roof etc. But I think it shouldn't be for one model of one brand. Make it 1000cc stock motor limit. Polaris XP 900's can easily compete against the CA and AC 1000's. I could see this class getting HUGE. The aftermarket companies would thrive with the cages, belts, etc and if dealers got behind some drivers or teams it would be just like motocross in the 70's and 80's. Hundreds racing!

I would think that the safety items could be installed for less than $3k. Yes/no?

People could get a taste of racing and if they liked it they could move up to WORCS, Lucas or Best in the Desert.
You pretty much summed it up! By this time next year, there will be several different choices besides the Polaris. Start the class this year and keep it open to other brands and sit back and watch! It might be an XP class this year, but that will only last the first part of the year until AC releases enough Wildcats and some other sport models come out from other companies (you know who I am talking about, eh).

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
YES! I believe there are plenty of XP n can am owners that would be in . Im thrilled that you guys are even bringing this up. Would love to participate in a production based XP class.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I'm sorry but I just can't resist.

Wouldn't the ISA rule book work here?

It wasnt until today that there was a final statement made in regards to Unlimiteds having to have a reverse gear.

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
All great suggestions by the UtvUnderground members.

So the question is how would you keep this a Stock class?

Would the Xp walk on a completely stock Wildcat?

Would a Commander walk on both the Xp and Wildcat?

Would you allow Long travel on the commander because the Wildcat and Xp come stock with Long Travel?

What is considered long travel in 2011/2012?

If all the mfgs had to keep stock motors what would happen? No exhaust , no cams no ignitions no no no? would one car be way faster then the other?

how would you police the motors?

This was all easy when there was the 660 rhino!

Let's hear your solutions and thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Are you saying have a class just for RZR XPs? As the UTV classes stand now, the XPs are already able to race - at least at the AZ regionals.
Hey 450 Girl. That was a thought. Currently you have guys like Robby Woods, Kyle Leduc, Cassie Curry , Rj Anderson? and other that have stock Xps. I believe this is the most capable and available car on the market ready to race. So I would think a Stock Xp Only class would grow pretty fast? let me know your thoughts ?

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
How about if there is a RZR4 XP 900, Where would this fall.

Before I say I wont be there! What classes do they offer at the LUCAS OIL REGIONAL's.

I raced 2 years ago @ Glen Helen and there was a class for the YAMAHA RHINO's. What classes are available??????

How many different classes and what's the cost to race?

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Currently, in the AZ Regionals, there are three classes. SR1, UTV Unlimited and UTV stock. With these current rules, you would obviously have the XPs in the stock class, if they were stock. Mods, and they move to Unlimited. What the rules are exactly, I can't remember, but for discussion's sake, lets keep it simple.

XP would go into stock class if it was stock. Get a bunch that want to come out and race, and you have that class to yourself along with some good competition. (There aren't any stock Rhinos in that class, that I know of. No Commanders either. I am not sure if there are currently any racers in that class right now)Most of the UTVs I see are considered Unlimited. Some Teryxs, a Rhino or two, a few RZRs, some pilots, and a TomCar thingee.

I see where you are going with the XP only class, Ken. I sort of see the XP being the current day "Rhino", in that they are everywhere, and a ton of people have them (guilty!). I think you could be onto something....an it's an interesting idea.

Let's just say we get an XP only class going.....then you will have Commander and Arctic Cat and other brand owners wanting "in", too - because they will feel left out. All of those questions you asked in the post above will come into play - and good luck to anyone who wants to sort through that mess to try to make everyone happy.

I'd say trying an XP only class has definite possibilities. If it's left at that, and it's left simple. See who shows up. See how many show up for more than one race. Sometimes it's the loudest ones who never show up at all, so you never know till you try - lol!

OR.....put them in the current Stock class, but make some kind of XP only incentive/payout/shootout.....which would encourage XP's to come out - they would be racing each other for the XP only incentive, and no new classes are introduced to dilute an already smallish field of UTVs.

The way the classes are now, XP's have been welcomed - but none are coming out. Do you feel that creating a class just for them would change this? Why aren't they racing right now in the stock class?

The way I see it......most people who have them, have them in stock form because they work just fine stock and there is no need to put any more money into them. That is why so many are around.......they aren't racing, because to do so you have to put a race cage, doors and other safety items on them - and that costs money. It also changes the machine....what was once a light, easy to get in and out of, totally stock machine is now not so light, and not so easy to get in and out of - it's also not so cheap.

If we lived in a world without litigation, where people took responsibility for their own actions, then having a truly stock XP class would probably be wildly popular (WORCS touched on this this season, but will also be tightening up the ship in the future). But the fact is.....in order to race, and in order for a series NOT to be sued, a truly stock class cannot happen. And I think that is the biggest problem with turnout. If our neighbor could take his stock XP and bomb it around a racetrack and not have to do a thing to it, he'd probably go for it just for chits and giggles. But tell him he has to have a cage, harnesses, doors, etc.....and he loses interest almost immediately.

This is JUST my .02, and I might have it all wrong.......it's just what I've noticed happening in this industry since the good ol' TRULY stock Rhino racing days. ;)

Reactions: 1 person

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
<TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In 2011 I found 2 classes that Lucas Oil Regional's offer.
Its just like the real lucas race series,
CLASSES
1 unlimited mod class
1 SR1 class

This is the problem, You guys need to open your eyes and expand a little bit. You guys are eliminating race cars by limiting your race classes.I understand that you dont want a bunch of classes but if your going to be putting on races it needs to be for every manufacture out there and a place for everbody to race and what about just to have a good time. USE the words "GRASS ROOTS" dont make a new defenition for it.
I helped put together the PALA GP and it went from 10 racers to 30 racers with no XP,WILDCAT nor a cammando.
This was the RZ S dominating.

This is just my opinion.

<TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Sr1 UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR><TR><TD width="90%">Black Rhino Unlimited UTV</TD><TD width="10%">$125</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
That might be CA, we have three classes in AZ - Stock, Modified, and SR1......

blueline

Dec 5, 2011
A stock class that includes all UTV models. Why eliminate one brand? Cars need some light mods, guys that want to race and have to install the cage, harness, doors and safety equipment don't want to have a bone stock car. At least let them do bolt on items exhaust, air cleaner etc. Keep the motors untouched so it does not becomes who has the biggest check book over who can drive.

Keep the expense down for the guy racing a couple times a year and they guys getting more serious should realize they need a SR1 and change vehicles or get out their check books for for the unlimited class.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
AZ Regionals has a stock UTV class.....come on out! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000