Yamaha Sv1000 build

Mfdoffroad

Jan 4, 2010
Well thought I'd start a thread for my new build. Rhino was almost complete and them I decided to rip it all apart and do a sv1000 weller racing motor swap kit. I'm keeping my cage that I already build. It's a 2 seat tig welded cage. I also already have triple x seats. 5 point harnesses. A lowrance gps. Rugged race radios. I had a pro one lt kit but I'm building my own that's a +6.5, 1" forward and 2" back. I still have my pro one +4 billet kit if anyone wants it. Comes with gorilla axles, about 400 miles on it. $1500. Thanks Jason.

Here is what it looked liked before I started

So far I've cut the chassis all apart. I have cut every unnecessary bar and tab off and built new front arms. I will build the rears tomorrow. I am also using the front stubs from weller.

Front upper minus shock plate and shock mount

Here are the front lowers

Here's the frame all cut apart. Forgot to cut off the sway bar mounts so I still need to do that

Reactions: 3 people

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
Nice! I have always been curious about the SV1000. I feel that motor has great potensial. And it will be great to keep 4x4 and not have to add a clutch pedal. Perfect dunner setup! Subcribed! :D

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Great post keep us informed. I love the power of the SV I drove the Wellers a few years ago & man did we hit 100+mph down sand high way. Rep points on this build!!

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
I watched a guy from Vegas driving his SV1000 through the Nevada deserts @ the silver state 300 BITD 2010.

1st place overall and way out in front !!! Very reliable it looked like and ran smooth..

KeepItKlean

Jan 27, 2010
Anybody know how much Weller charges to do this swap?
I saw on youtube that they have done it before.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
That guy was driving our old Super Rhino!!! That is the first Rhino we put the SV1000 in - Joe Leeper has been racing it in BITD races for a while now - I even got to run the drags with him last season in my SR1 - it was awesome! :)

The SV1000 has a lot more power than the Rotax.....a LOT. But you lose four wheel drive and it's a manual transmission. For some people, keeping 4-wheel drive is a MUST....Rotax is a good option for them. For others (duners, desert racers, etc), two wheel drive is no problem and they like to shift......

We do these SV1000 swaps inhouse for around $8k - however, you offset that cost by selling your Rhino motor for a couple grand, your diffs, your drive shafts, and the rest of the drivetrain parts you don't need.

Another option that some do is to buy the drive kit and engine mounts / parts from us and either do the install themselves or have someone else do it for them. Lots of people know fabricators, etc.....

It was meant to be an affordable way to get a lot more power out of your Rhino, and since the SV is a narrow motor, you don't have to widen your seats/cage at all in your Rhino to do this swap (unlike the R1).

We are seeing a LOT of people doing this for the upcoming dune season....with an SV swap, no Commander or RZR or other UTV will be beating you on any rides - lol! :)

JLeeper

J-Leep - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 9, 2009
If I had a choice of motors at this point, I would stick to the SV1000. Verry reliable - change the oil, filter, and lube the chain- your ready to race or dune! Only drawback is no auto or 4-wheel drive if you like to crawl.
Thinkin about putting a counter on my clutch pedal. Took about a week for my left leg cramp to work out after the SS300.
Hey Corry, Could you send me some info on the rear axel bearing setup your using?
Thanks,
Joe

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Joe - we were just talking about you!! Jason says to be sure to call him or drop him an e-mail - we'd like to help you get that rear drive updated! ;) (480-507-4771) or [email protected]) The new setup is way quieter and much tighter feeling! NO chain tensioner! :)

Last edited:

KeepItKlean

Jan 27, 2010
Ok so 8 grand includes everything but the motor,harness, gauges etc? So basically bring u that stuff and my rhino and it will come back ready to run?

VIAIR

Viair Corporation - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 12, 2010
Irvine, CA
WWW.VIAIRCORP.COM
We do these SV1000 swaps inhouse for around $8k - however, you offset that cost by selling your Rhino motor for a couple grand, your diffs, your drive shafts, and the rest of the drivetrain parts you don't need.
:)

Man...
Cory.. to bad we couldn't have you guys on our SEMA build...

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Ok so 8 grand includes everything but the motor,harness, gauges etc? So basically bring u that stuff and my rhino and it will come back ready to run?
No no....$8k includes the motor, harness, cluster, drive kit, labor for the install and everything.....obviously, depending on some options, this price could go up or down a little, but that's a good ballpark figure. :) So basically you could bring us your Rhino as it is now, and we would get it back to you with a lot more HP and some nice spare parts to sell....

ZTFab

Zero Tolerance Fabrication - Official UTVUndergrou
Mar 25, 2009
Upland, ca
No no....$8k includes the motor, harness, cluster, drive kit, labor for the install and everything.....obviously, depending on some options, this price could go up or down a little, but that's a good ballpark figure. :) So basically you could bring us your Rhino as it is now, and we would get it back to you with a lot more HP and some nice spare parts to sell....

When can I drop mine off? :D

VIAIR

Viair Corporation - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 12, 2010
Irvine, CA
WWW.VIAIRCORP.COM
this is for the SV1000 or the SR1??? is there a price difference?

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
It's all the same price for the mounting kit, drive kit, etc....SR1/SV1, since they use the same parts. Might be some labor differences for an SR1, if the Rhino frame isn't already widened. It takes some work to widen a frame and make it all look decent when it's done.....and I think the R1 motors are a little more pricey, but not much......

If you are starting off with a frame that is already a race frame with wider seats, then yeah - it's pretty much the same price :)

Mfdoffroad

Jan 4, 2010
Well I didn't get the rear arms done like I wanted to but the fronts are all done. I will be working on the rears this weekend and I'm also planning on building the new fuel cell. Have about 15.5" of travel up front. Limited because my shocks are pretty short but I already have them so figured I'd work with them as they are 46mm Ella elite's.

I talked to Jason Weller this afternoon and he said he was going to try and have everything put together next Monday so if everything works out I will be putting the motor in next weekend. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000