Kawasaki Teryx 840 Forward Motion No Longer

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Well the ol 840 laid down on me. Had to drive to the house in reverse. Not sure what happen. High went out and second just grinds when I try to put it in gear.
Went out and played real hard a couple of weeks ago on the dunes here in Oklahoma. We abused it a little but nothing terrible I didnt' think. Everything seemed to be working fine. Went to check fence last weekend and was messing around on the river. Not really riding hard but all the sudden a loud pop and no forward motion. So I guess I am tearing into the transmission.
My question is are there better or different parts that I should install while I am there? I generally check cows, ride the dunes, and play around the house. I have thought about racing XC a couple of times but it never worked out.
Thanks for you guys help. I will be doing the work and once I get inside I will post up some pictures.
List of motor mods
FST 840, DASA injectors, 38mm throttle bodies, UNI filter, Dalton clutch and over drive plate, Weller water pump, Muzzy pipes.

Reactions: 1 person

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
I will give them a shout. Figured I would see if anyone on here or other boards have had this happen. Didn't know if I could use Vforce or Brute gearing to make it stronger. Worth asking since I have to get into it.

FiveFlat

May 6, 2009
Teryxs are notorious for coming out of adjustment, particularly when land hard after a jump.

Pop off the plastics over the air cleaner and shift knob, the linkage is on a turnbuckle, just feel the gears on the tranny and adjust accordingly. Takes all of 5 min. max.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 person

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
FiveFlat I hope you are right. Thanks for the reply here and over on the other boards. I will for sure check that first. I will let everyone know what I find.

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Last night I took the plastic off and started looking around. There was a lot of oil on the back side of the motor behind the rear cylinder. While running the machine and trying to adjust the shifting linkage I noticed a stead stream of oil running down the case. And the adjustment was like High wasn't even there. I could get it in Low and Reverse but no High. Looks like the engine is coming out. I got everything lose and now just have to hoist it out to see what the problem is. I could see a crack in the case behind the rear cylinder beside where the shift linkage goes into the case. Once I get it out I will try and get some pictures. Looks like I might as well buy a crank and rods while I am there and go with the 916.

FiveFlat

May 6, 2009
ugh, sorry to hear that! At least you saw the linkage and saw how it's too simple to not look at!

Good luck with the 916! I say do it!

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
Sounds like you broke out the side of the gear case, actually common on the teryx's. Like most people said when the shift rod gets out of adjustment they will pop out of gear and smack the side of the case. Look near your dipstick tube, you may see a large crack. Get the shift-rod off of there and replace with a cable that makes at least one loop around the top of the engine, make sure the holder for one end is attached to the engine case somewhere and the holddown on the other end is attached to the shift tower. The problem is the shift tower and the engine flex too much and causes the gears to pop out.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Sounds like you broke out the side of the gear case, actually common on the teryx's. Like most people said when the shift rod gets out of adjustment they will pop out of gear and smack the side of the case. Look near your dipstick tube, you may see a large crack. Get the shift-rod off of there and replace with a cable that makes at least one loop around the top of the engine, make sure the holder for one end is attached to the engine case somewhere and the holddown on the other end is attached to the shift tower. The problem is the shift tower and the engine flex too much and causes the gears to pop out.
it sure does, poor design from kawi.

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
I forgot to pick up the fly wheel puller sothat I coudl get the cases split. Are there any other speacial tools needed to split the cases?

Here is a photo of the damage you can see from the outside. Hopefully there isnt' much more on the inside. If I can get a puller I will try to get it pulled on down over the weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000