The 30" vs. 32"- Thoughts on Both

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
Over the last 2 years, I've run 30" Mongrels (33lb) and Moto Crawler (36lb) tires on a XP 4 1000. Now with the XP Turbo, I'm running 32" Mongrels (38lb). A couple observations:

-The ground clearance on the 32's is awesome, very big selling point
-Loud hum once you get over 50mph
-Feels like the suspension is a little less active, due to the increased unsprung weight. It's hard to tell if it's just the larger diameter, but at over 53lbs per corner (wheel & tire), the suspension doesn't feel as hyper sensitive as when I am running a 30" tire, just a different feel all together. Maybe some heavy 40lb+ light truck 30" would give the same sensation? It's just different from swapping the stock Big Horns to a Mongrel.

I think the best part of the new UTV's is the option of running bigger tires (I think it validates the UTV in a major way), and I'm sure we will see at least half of the BITD race teams "try" them for the ground clearance advantages in 2016.

I would like to hear from people that have some real seat time with both, in another 6-9 months I'm sure we will see a lot more SxS's with 31-33" tires than we already do.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Makes sense what you wrote, I would think you might feel some tire shake ( feed back through the steering wheel ) at higher speeds on graded roads. That's a lot of un-sprung weight.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I am very interested in in running either a 32" Mongrel or Ultracross on my XP 4 1000 but I concerned about power loss and and extra strain on the belt. Mainly interested in having the extra clearance but not sure I am willing to risk the performance loss to get it.

Nolson, if you are running a deep sand wash are you still able to pull the 32's or did you lose a bunch on the top end? Also, what is your clutch setup? I know clutching will help a little but I don't think it can make up for the overall gear ratio change.

jimbeaver15

The Down & Dirty Off-Road Show
Apr 12, 2012
Parker, Arizona
I can say I have the new Light Truck 31x10.5x15 General MT's on my XP4 Pre-Runner. Yes it's a heavy tire, BUT I have absolutely had no problem with it and they are bulletproof for flats. I think the UTV industry has had a hang up on tire weight for so long. Personally I would rather have a heavier tire I know isn't going to get flats and try and cut weight by running billet hubs, lighter wheels, ect. Just my thoughts... and to add to it, 32's will be the norm in Production N/A and Turbo in less than 12 months.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I am very interested in in running either a 32" Mongrel or Ultracross on my XP 4 1000 but I concerned about power loss and and extra strain on the belt. Mainly interested in having the extra clearance but not sure I am willing to risk the performance loss to get it.

Nolson, if you are running a deep sand wash are you still able to pull the 32's or did you lose a bunch on the top end? Also, what is your clutch setup? I know clutching will help a little but I don't think it can make up for the overall gear ratio change.
We pre ran Baja 1000 with 32" ultra crosses and the only thing performance wise done to our pre runner was a sparks pipe, PC5 W/Sparks tuning and sparks clutch kit. We didnt have any belt issues.

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
RynoMX, the Turbo pulls the 32's very very well, stock clutch too. The beefier driveline and brakes make me worry a lot less too.

"I think the UTV industry has had a hang up on tire weight for so long."

I disagree, the Baja 1000 winner was running one of the lightest 30" tires made, and most of us don't want our steering racks and drive line components worn out after 3000-4000 miles, just my fear. I'd bet a dollar many racers will try 32's and it will cause a lot of initial reliability issues. We will have a lot more info in the next 6-12 months once everyone is running them...

Reactions: JoeyD23

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
We pre ran Baja 1000 with 32" ultra crosses and the only thing performance wise done to our pre runner was a sparks pipe, PC5 W/Sparks tuning and sparks clutch kit. We didnt have any belt issues.
What's the power feel like? Still decent?

Does the Sparks clutch kit have a new helix?

Tzenev

Jul 9, 2013
Bummer. They look like there going to be good tires. Was looking for weights but had mixed results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
What's the power feel like? Still decent?

Does the Sparks clutch kit have a new helix?
Power feels good. I believe we are only running a weighted arm kit on that car. But yes he has helix's and all the other parts in some of his kits.

Don.Zing

Jul 27, 2015
I'm running 32" mongrels on a stock xp1000 2-seater. I've logged about 200 miles on them so far, mostly on tighter desert trails and open sand washes. The ground clearance is awesome, and you dont lose much on power. It's noticeable the first day you go out, but you quickly forget the small losses and instead drive faster with greater confidence. Top speed in sand wash was 65-70, 75 on pavement with minimal steering wheel shake. On full compression, they do hit the tops of the fenders, but not bad and you don't notice when it happens. Other than that, there isn't any rubbing. For one adult, not racing, and just doing fun and challenging desert riding, they're a great addition. On the trail, the 2-seater with 32's becomes the most capable machine in the group.

The biggest downside is that with the extra tire size, you don't have any room for weight/suspension sag (shock settings are right in the middle...i believe 8 clicks from either side). With two full-sized adults (I'm 185, and I brought a 220 lb. passenger), you have to run slower over any rough stuff. Under hard braking, the tires nearly touch the fenders. I have no idea how UTVGuide ran 32's on the XPTurbo4 with four full-sized adults and not one mention of the issue.

Adding a long travel kit, wheel spacers, or a 4/3 wheel offset, to push the tires out beyond the fenders a bit and mitigate the aforementioned issue, would be a pretty ideal setup.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I'm running 32" mongrels on a stock xp1000 2-seater. I've logged about 200 miles on them so far, mostly on tighter desert trails and open sand washes. The ground clearance is awesome, and you dont lose much on power. It's noticeable the first day you go out, but you quickly forget the small losses and instead drive faster with greater confidence. Top speed in sand wash was 65-70, 75 on pavement with minimal steering wheel shake. On full compression, they do hit the tops of the fenders, but not bad and you don't notice when it happens. Other than that, there isn't any rubbing. For one adult, not racing, and just doing fun and challenging desert riding, they're a great addition. On the trail, the 2-seater with 32's becomes the most capable machine in the group.

The biggest downside is that with the extra tire size, you don't have any room for weight/suspension sag (shock settings are right in the middle...i believe 8 clicks from either side). With two full-sized adults (I'm 185, and I brought a 220 lb. passenger), you have to run slower over any rough stuff. Under hard braking, the tires nearly touch the fenders. I have no idea how UTVGuide ran 32's on the XPTurbo4 with four full-sized adults and not one mention of the issue.

Adding a long travel kit, wheel spacers, or a 4/3 wheel offset, to push the tires out beyond the fenders a bit and mitigate the aforementioned issue, would be a pretty ideal setup.
Before you invest in a long travel or different wheels, have your shocks re-valved and get the proper spring rates with real cross over adj. Wrong shock valving and spring rates is your issue, you don't needing a long travel kit to adjust for the bigger tires and heavier weight passengers, IMO that will only magnify your issues until you tuned your shocks.

Reactions: Glamisfan and tatum

Don.Zing

Jul 27, 2015
Before you invest in a long travel or different wheels, have your shocks re-valved and get the proper spring rates with real cross over adj. Wrong shock valving and spring rates is your issue, you don't needing a long travel kit to adjust for the bigger tires and heavier weight passengers, IMO that will only magnify your issues until you tuned your shocks.
Thanks for the insight, Nikal. I'll hit up Shock Therapy.

Last edited:

jimbeaver15

The Down & Dirty Off-Road Show
Apr 12, 2012
Parker, Arizona
I will 100% agree with this. I'm running stock suspension with some heavy 31's and have had ZERO of the problems mentioned above, but did send my stock shocks back to WE for a revalve, new Eibach springs, and crossovers. Night and day difference. Stock suspension with the taller tires and my XP 4 can hit most anything in the desert (Within Reason) without running out of suspension.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Bummer. They look like there going to be good tires. Was looking for weights but had mixed results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are supposed to be just over 30 lbs from what Matlock said. No official weight yet but even if they weigh 33 or 34 lbs they will be the lightest square profile tire on the market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000