The Mad Viking Project

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
The Wolverine will certainly be a nice platform for this swap, perhaps you can take it to the next level, going much further than I intend to.

The nice thing with the Yami snow engines (as I'm sure you know) is the extremely large variety of clutch and clutch tuning options. Just about any engagement rpm and shift out/back shift combo can easily be created. The 8dn MitsubOshi Belt is probably one of the most durable units in the entire powersports CVT industry.... and at $50ish a piece!

For those interested in the ratios, the CVT runs a reduction from 3.8 - 1 (and a .8 overdrive is obtainable). The RS Viking/VK Professional snow transmission has a high ratio of 2:1 and a low ratio of 2.6:1. Again, being a snowmobile transmission, the upper and lower chain gears have many options. So the high range ratio can be run from about 1.5:1 to 2.3:1, with low range being roughly 30% lower. Differentials are 3.66. For comparison, the YXZ1000R has a stock total reduction of 23:1, the setup I currently have will give about 28:1, and low range will be About 37:1. Hopefully it will prove to work well.... if not, there's another optional transmission to take us much lower. It might possibly be the go to unit, as it can be purchased complete as a new unit. The VK trans I have has a plentiful replacement parts supply, but complete units are not that easy to find, nor available new for purchase.

67StingrayJ

Apr 2, 2019
Is this engine swap still happening? I heard that the Viking was due for a refresh and when that happened, supposedly in 2021, it would get a 850cc. Rumors. Either way, i wish this dude would update us. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000