The New Can-Am Maverick.....

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
No it's different. It only takes the limiters off from what I've been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Well there are those mods too.

How come the desert race Maverick's are not seeing those type of speeds? Doesn't Can Am's race box do the same thing as your reflash?
Most Desert cars are overweight Pigs. So they struggle to pull good top speeds. I heard that the Frankie with the Tyrex passed Johnny on some fast road sections of the Baja 500, so that just shows you that all of the Extra weight and oversize tires can and Will Kill the Performance of these underpowered turds.;)

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
That is really not much of a RPM increase to can that kinda of speed. I guess taking off the speed limiter and allowing full throttle up really helps.

My XP hits 8750 and I have only been able to get it to 78. I guess the speed limiter must cut back the throttle on the XP, like on the Maverick.
RPM is RPM regardless of throttle position so 500 RPM shouldn't make that big of a difference assuming the clutches are shifted all the way out. I didn't think a Maverick had the gearing to reach these speeds but I'm no expert on them.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
I would say with 30" tires and an 8500 rev limiter I would say 83-85 doable all day. Once you start changing clutches the variables change.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
These Mavericks can run faster then you think when unlimited. Even the heavy desert ones. It's more about dirt conditions, wind resistance, altitude etc. These items play a huge part in speed. I will leave the rest to imagination! :D

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Most Desert cars are overweight Pigs. So they struggle to pull good top speeds. I heard that the Frankie with the Tyrex passed Johnny on some fast road sections of the Baja 500, so that just shows you that all of the Extra weight and oversize tires can and Will Kill the Performance of these underpowered turds.;)
You shouldn't always believe what ya hear ...

http://trackleaders.com/baja500-14

only time I was passed was when I was parked changing a flat, went to town for cigarettes and gas, or when I was leading the race by Mark I blew a corner

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
RPM is RPM regardless of throttle position so 500 RPM shouldn't make that big of a difference assuming the clutches are shifted all the way out. I didn't think a Maverick had the gearing to reach these speeds but I'm no expert on them.
That is kinda of what I was thinking. 90+ mph with just a 500 rpm increase should not yield a 15mph difference. On asphalt going down hill slightly with a tailwind, maybe. But stranger things have happen.

I know the motors have the hp to move them past 90, but road conditions, wind and so many other variables make a difference.

Warlock - in the hard pack the extra weight will slow you down some, but it really just effects how long it will take to get to top speed. Once you get those heavy 30" tires rolling you do not have to slow down for all the ruts, rocks, etc as the bigger tires just roll over that stuff. Extra weight on the hard pack dirt does not effect rolling speed as dramatically as sand, really soft dirt or silt. I would think clutching could really help out.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I'm taking it out in the desert next weekend so I'll let you his know how it goes . As some of you know I am running aftermarket clutching and I haven't changed any if the weights since the reflash. We shall see

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I'm taking it out in the desert next weekend so I'll let you his know how it goes . As some of you know I am running aftermarket clutching and I haven't changed any if the weights since the reflash. We shall see

Do you know if those clutches give you more gear in the top end?

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
It's not the gearing that allows higher speeds, it's full lockup because of the added clamping force

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Once full lockup is achieved them the lack of the speed, torque and rpm limiters will allow you to go as fast the amount of hp and balls will let you

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
You can double your HP but trans gearing,clutch gearing, and tire size will limit your top speed, the additional HP will only make it get there faster. Now if you double your RPM then you could double your speed if it makes enough power to shift the clutches all the way.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I highly recommend it.
Didn't Reid have the aluminum spider in though? And how does the STM not come apart at the speeds that the snowmobiles run?

Had the aluminum spider and it worked fine. Then, because they had problems with the aluminum spider breaking in 1 or more of the Polaris cars, they decided that we needed the steel spider as well. Due to inadequate wear protection at the interface between the spider and the sheave, the steel spider gouged big time into the adjacent aluminum mating surface.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Did you happen to have any pictures so I can know what to look for and where?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
i believe Reid had the steel spider. But the issue was with the bolts that hold the weights on.

do the sleds reach 8500 rpm?
Correct. I still can't understand how they could have taken their product to the level that they did, only to fall short on basic fundamental principles of proper hardware applications. After engineering all of the awesome billet designed components, with their dynamic interfaces and required clearances, they mud it up by allowing a shear load to be applied to a threaded portion of a cap screw. I'm referring to the pivot bolts for the weighted arms on the primary clutch. If the bolt didn't break right where the threaded portion of the bolt meets the shank (in between two shear tabs none the less!), then either the arms themselves bent, or the nut on the pivot bolt came loose.

After changing over to the steel spider, we also had problems bending the weighted arms. I think that was a product of friction where the steel spider gouged into the aluminum interface. Once the aluminum gouged out, the spider was most likely binding in the rough instead of sliding smoothly across a flat and true wear strip of some sort.

Marc and STM had a big falling out near the end of last year. I think after the guy read my V2R race report where I said that we had a clutch failure, the relationship spiraled down from there. I miss the performance of the STM clutches. Oh well!

I'll attach an image of what happens when all hell breaks loose inside of an STM clutch. Notice the rusted area in the cross section of the broken arm. An indicator that the arm was cracked for some time prior to the race. Most likely, it was installed with the crack already there, based on the amount of corrosion that it had.

Attachments

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Do I have any pictures? Does Raggedy Ann have cotton tits?

Shazaaamm!!

I document EVERYTHING! (except I don't take those stupid f-ing selfie things. What's that all about anyway?)

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
The selfies are a generational thing. My kids are really good at them, today at Disneyland there were at least 5 selfies apiece on each ride or event we went to

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
The selfies are a generational thing. My kids are really good at them, today at Disneyland there were at least 5 selfies apiece on each ride or event we went to

You got kids! AND, you took them to Disneyland! WOW! What an awesome dad. So, I guess that means the a arm project gets shuffled to the back burner for now, huh? Lol! I know you dropped 600 bones + at Mickey's pad!:D

Remember when you'd go as a kid, how excited you were? I'm sure you're re-living that now by sharing the experience with your kids. I remember my first visit there back in 1970 or so. It was a flat rate to walk through the gate, and then you'd have the option of buying various levels of ticket books for the rides. A $32.00 ticket book had 2 "E" tickets, 3 "D" tickets, and way too many A, B, and C tickets! (Although the rocket ship, submarine, and Journey through the human body rides were a cool bargain for a "C" ticket) Always went home with a buttload of "A" and "B" tickets! Who wants to ride that stupid Mad-Hatter tea cup thing anyway?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000