Yamaha Trubo R1 Rhino

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
the closer to the exhaust ports the better, for sure.. The ones that mount inplace of the muffler at the back of the car are only designed that way for ease of install, and have to have the piping and turbo perfectly sized to the application to avoid lag.

The more velocity the exhaust gases have, the faster it can start spinning the turbo, and the less lag. If it were me, I would do it right infront of the motor too, but Im sure it will rip nicely where you have it too! Cant wait to see this thing run!

STETLER

R1-Custom - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 24, 2009
Orange, CA
I believe you, Doesn't sound like that would be a good idea but it must work. I was just going by what somebody told me. Damn it, I hate when I'm wrong !!

controled force

1004CC Turbo Tax - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 8, 2009
Sac.Ca
the closer to the exhaust ports the better, for sure.. The ones that mount inplace of the muffler at the back of the car are only designed that way for ease of install, and have to have the piping and turbo perfectly sized to the application to avoid lag.

The more velocity the exhaust gases have, the faster it can start spinning the turbo, and the less lag. If it were me, I would do it right infront of the motor too, but Im sure it will rip nicely where you have it too! Cant wait to see this thing run!
Turbo lag only comes into play if ur runnin too large of a turbo for the CC of the the motor,let's say I pull the the turbo off my Dodge and install it on my R1,,,,,,I'll grow old by the time it spools up,so as long as you have the correct size turbo for the engine application,it won't matter the least bit where you install it,if it did we would be installing it in front of the motor as I'm always lookin for all I can get out of it :D

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Turbo lag only comes into play if ur runnin too large of a turbo for the CC of the the motor,let's say I pull the the turbo off my Dodge and install it on my R1,,,,,,I'll grow old by the time it spools up,so as long as you have the correct size turbo for the engine application,it won't matter the least bit where you install it,if it did we would be installing it in front of the motor as I'm always lookin for all I can get out of it :D
Im sure you've done your homework, and I know it will haul butt! Just stating what I learned from turbo projects in the past. I definitely am a turbo amateur though. Im going to be following your build with a lot of interest. I love turbos!!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Im sure you've done your homework, and I know it will haul butt! Just stating what I learned from turbo projects in the past. I definitely am a turbo amateur though. Im going to be following your build with a lot of interest. I love turbos!!
Your not the only one:D I am probably going to put a turbo on mine just because

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
LOL it was pretty cold when I rolled out to franks to take the pics,Chubbs didn't want to move from in front of the fireplace,,should be done in 2 or3 weeks,Franks haulin azz on this build!!

Well good luck on the build man sounds like you know what your doing and cant wait to see this thing run ! :D:D

fullerfab

Dec 30, 2009
The header looks sweet. How much Frank?

Question, Is there any reason not to put the turbo right off the motor like this? This is kinda what I had in mind if I decided to do a turbo.

the only thing you have to worrie about is oil drain back with the turbo this low it hard to have enough return oil flow back to the pan.

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
sick build for sure! what is the center to center on your sprockets? what ratio did you go with on the rpm box?

jeffm661

Feb 15, 2010
Here's some pics of my next project in the works,the power plant is a 06 R1,we just installed the motor & rear diff,next in line is making the header installing the turbo,mounting the intercooler ,radiator an last but not least a electric paddle shifter setup that will allow me to up shift an down shift threw the gears on the steering wheel.More pics to come

just joined today.where do you get the rear diff from. thanks jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000