The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
HELP US SLOW DOWN THE WASHINGTON COUNTY WILDERNESS BILL
February 9th, 2009

Dear BRC Supporters in Utah,

This is a HIGH PRORITY update.

HELP US SLOW DOWN THE WASHINGTON COUNTY WILDERNESS BILL

BRC is asking all OHV users in Utah to contact their elected representatives regarding the new Washington County Wilderness bill pending in Congress.

Instructions below. Please take action NOW.

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SITUATION:
The U.S. House of Representatives is set to "grease through" an omnibus package of over 160 public lands bills this week. Included in the package is the Washington County (Utah) Growth and Conservation Act.

Key recreational access tenets in the bill have been intentionally altered in closed-door proceedings sometime before its insertion into the omnibus package. In addition, a new section was added regarding closure of roads and trails.

For background, our previous action alert is here and the media release is here.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
Please call your Utah Representatives today. BE POLITE, Tell whoever answers the phone this:

I am calling about the Washington County Growth and Conservation Act. I have been informed that key terms regarding roads and trails lack any regulatory definition. I am concerned that this will result in wasteful and unnecessary litigation over OHV use.

I am also concerned about a new closure section that was added AFTER senate committee hearing, apparently behind closed doors.

I ask that you look in to this issue immediately. The language used in this bill will make OHV management all but impossible. The issue is serious enough to warrant hearings on these and other changes made to this bill.

Congressman Matheson: Salt Lake City Office - (801) 486-1236
Washington DC Office - (202) 225-3011

Congressman Bishop: Ogden Office - (801) 625-0107
Washington DC Office - (202) 225-0453

Congressman Chaffetz: Provo Office (801) - 851-2500
Washington DC Office - (202) 225-7751

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000