UTV Championship Updates, Pictures and Race Day Thread

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
I just got off the phone with Casey, he said he had some teams call in and needed to ask me if I went over the pit berm when I blew a belt on the straight away in front of my pit. I admitted to going into the pits over the berm and I was assessed a penalty. If Dustin Jones has no penalties he is your new 3rd place Pro Turbo finisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: acme and Simi Dude

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Sounds like there are some penalties being handed out. BITD is holding out on supplying us the official results. Everything being posted is unofficial. UTV Pro class podium may be affected.
Joey are you going to be able to get and post the full lap time report?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I just got off the phone with Casey, he said he had some teams call in and needed to ask me if I went over the pit berm when I blew a belt on the straight away in front of my pit. I admitted to going into the pits over the berm and I was assessed a penalty. If Dustin Jones has no penalties he is your new 3rd place Pro Turbo finisher.

So sorry to hear and see this Branden but commend you for your honesty. I was bummed when Diane sent this info over. Happy for Dustin, but bummed for you for sure.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
That is not true. People thought that Cody Rahders and Burnett were on the lead lap when Lambert finished and they weren't. That's where that rumor came from.
Correct. So how could burnett be 2nd place when Sims was the last car on the lead lap (before penalty)....

Mitch G

2009-2010-2012 King Of The Hammers UTV winner
Feb 14, 2010
I was standing right there when your belt blew and you pulled in over the berm, That was no way intentional for some sort of advantage, it was for safety. I would have done the same thing. There were cars going by at 70 mph, why would someone call in on this is beyond me, pretty sad

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey does that mean that Dustin got 2nd then? I was on the lead lap for sure

I meant when lambert finished Rahders and Burnett were still going on another lap and everyone thought they were being sent on an additional lap. Again, don't quote me on the results side as I am just regurgitating what BITD shows us. It was hard to tell who was where because of all the lap traffic.

With that said. New results show Dustin Jones in 3rd, you in 4th I believe. Other penalties were handed out but none other that affected any top spots.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I was standing right there when your belt blew and you pulled in over the berm, That was no way intentional for some sort of advantage, it was for safety. I would have done the same thing. There were cars going by at 70 mph, why would someone call in on this is beyond me, pretty sad
I would have to agree here. Seems pretty petty to me to complain about this.

Reactions: facteryfmf

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I would have to agree here. Seems pretty petty to me to complain about this.
Could it be that the issues was not so much that Branden did not just go over the berm to get off the course, but that he went over the berm to get to his pits to fix the car? Going over the berm, to get out of the way and then doing the repair himself, would be looked at as clearing the course for safety, but when he then proceed to the pit area for repair, BITD might have seen this as cutting the course, and benefiting from it.

I would have done the same thing as from the driver seat when you have a problem and your crew is right there, you take those chances to get service and try to win the race.

Years ago I had a similar issues with a clutch and not stopping and the start /finish line as required. I rolled threw in first gear yelling I cant stop. Once at our pit we changed the slave cylinder and drivers, I went to Score's timing and explained what happen, and if I would have stopped in those deep ruts, we would have not got the car going again and it would have been a log jam. Score cleared me of any "Not Stopping Penalties", but if I would have not explained why I rolled through, I'm sure we would have gotten either penalized or DQ'ed. Also Score Op's checked with the guy at the start finish and he confirmed hearing me yelling I cant stop and I was not driving recklessly.

Last edited:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Bummer to hear, I figured someone would have something to say about. I think we would have done the same thing given the circumstances.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Justin Lambert and Mitch Guthrie Win The 2016 Polaris RZR UTV World Championship
212 UTV Racers Take Over Laughlin, NV

Click here for motorcycle and ironman results.
Click here to see the unofficial quad and ironman results.
Click here to see the unofficial Walker Evans Racing Desert Championship Race results.
Click here to see the unofficial Holz Racing Products Production Race results.
Click here to see the unofficial Youth 170 and 250 results.

Click here for time penalties.

The 2016 Polaris RZR UTV World Championship powered by Monster Energy took over Laughlin, NV this weekend. Three championship races were held at the Laughlin Off-Road park and thousands attended to watch the biggest field of UTV’s throw down in all out battles to claim the overall wins. Final numbers amount to 76 motorcycles and quads, 212 UTVs (24 Youth) and 450+ total banded racers to amass the largest UTV race in the world.

#1918 Justin Lambert won the Walker Evans Racing Desert Championship Race with a time of just over three hours (03:05:32.056) in his Naturally Aspirated Polaris RZR XP1000. Lambert spent the majority of the race battling against the #951 RZR XP Turbo of Mitch Guthrie. Lap by lap, the two changed leading positions nearly six times and continued to battle within fifteen seconds of each other in the final laps of the 160-mile race.

Guthrie eventually succumbed to the battle with Lambert after breaking the front differential and both rear axles, forcing him to limp to an 8th place finish overall. Lambert when on to cruise to an easy victory, finishing over ten minutes ahead of second place finisher and Turbo Class Winner, #960 Ryan Laidlaw. With a victory at the Best in the Desert season opener at the Parker 250, the win mark Lambert and Cognito Motorsports’ second consecutive win in 2016.

Walker Evans Racing Desert Championship Race Overall Top 5

1. #1918 Justin Lambert – 03:05:32.056 (UTV P)
2. #960 Ryan Laidlaw – 03:16:38.822 (UTV Turbo)
3. #1954 Kristen Matlock – 03:21:56.091 (UTV P)
4. #905 Marc Burnett – 03:24:30.488 (UTV Turbo
5. #978 Dustin Jones – 03:27:54.420 (UTV Turbo)

Click here to see the unofficial Walker Evans Racing Desert Championship Race results.

Guthrie bounced back and won the Holz Racing Products Production Short Course Race in his #4503 Polaris RZR. The race was a nonstop blitz of action, with over 100 production vehicles in the race. With so many vehicles entered, BITD was forced to use the entire 16 mile loop, instead of the smaller track laid out. Lap traffic was drastic and racers battled four solid laps. Guthrie put on a clinic and finished fifteen seconds ahead of second place finisher, #144 Mickey Thomas. #4537 RJ Anderson took the last spot on the podium.

Holz Racing Products Production Short Course Race Overall Top 5

1. #4503 Mitch A. Guthrie Jr. – 01:13:23.050 (UTV Production Turbo)
2. #144 Mickey Thompson – 01:13:38.456 (UTV Production 1000)
3. #4537 RJ Anderson – 01:14:31.968 (UTV Production Turbo)
4. #116 Cody A. Rahders – 01:15:16.352 (UTV Production 1000)
5. #4505 Marc A. Burnett – 01:15:36.445 (UTV Production Turbo)

Click here to see the unofficial Holz Racing Products Production Race results.

Magnum Off-Road signed on this year to title sponsor both Youth Championship races. For the past two years, UTVUnderground.com has worked very hard to foster the growth of the RZR 170 race classes and give the younger drivers a place to begin racing RZRs, as well as a good starting point to grow into the sport of off-road.

In his first UTV race ever, Julien Beaumer won the Magnum Off-Road RZR 170 race, completing 11 laps in 00:30:34:721. Julian is a champion motocross racer and first in the world on a jet ski. Julian borrowed the RZR 170 from the Gonzales Family, whose son Dallas Gonzales raced in the unlimited 250 Class.

Casey Sims won the Magnum Off-Road Production 250 class and finished just under the thirty-minute mark. Casey competed last year and his team worked hard all year, building him a new RZR 170 to race at this years event.

Of the twenty-four youth racers, only four did not finish.

Magnum Off-Road Youth Production RZR 170 Race Top 3

1. #299 Julien Beaumer – 00:30:34.721
2. #54 Luke Knupp – 00:31:06.562
3. #32 Ryder Chapman – 00:32:24.162

Magnum Off-Road Youth Unlimited 250 Race Top 3

1. #188 Casey Sims – 00:29:41.061
2. #21 Jimmy Berry – 00:32:27.782
3. #525 Stockton Bulloch – 00:32:32.362

Click here to see the unofficial Youth 170 and 250 results.

Racers took home over $100,000 is cash & prizes and overall winner Mitch Guthrie, Justin Lambert, Casey Sims and Julien Beaumer all took home brand new Polaris RZR’s for their victories.

The Warfighter Made Perseverance Award is given to the racer who perseveres through the trials and tribulations that is off-road racing. Warfighter Made provides combat wounded veterans and active duty service members options to their physical and mental therapy and long term wellness, through recreational therapy and by the adaptation and customizing of vehicles and adaptive equipment. To earn the Warfighter Made Perseverance Award, you have to show the intestinal fortitude of America’s military and stay in the fight!

After suffering a bad crash that sent her Polaris RZR in a frantic barrel roll, #172 Katie Vernola was able to build her car back to working condition and limp to the finish line to finish the 2016 Polaris RZR UTV World Championship powered by Monster Energy in 61st place. In doing show, Katie Vernola won the 2016 Warfighter Made Perseverance Award.

2016 Warfighter Made Perseverance Award Winner, Katie Vernola

“We knew we were putting on the worlds largest UTV race event, but to see 212 UTV teams come out to compete totally exceeded our expectations. We can’t thank BITD, Polaris RZR and each and every team, racer, fan and sponsor for making this event happen!” thanked UTVUnderground CEO, Joey DiGiovanni.

On behalf of UTVUnderground, Mad Media and Best in the Desert, to Polaris RZR, Monster Energy and all our supporting sponsors, our 80+ contingency vendors, 140+ poker run participants, our 76 motorcycle and quad racers, our 212 UTV racers, our 30+ guest media, our tremendous staff and all the fans and friends who made the 2016 Polaris RZR UTV World Championship powered by Monster Energy – THANK YOU!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
So you're saying it was a 213.6 mile race? I thought it was 10 laps around a 14 mile course?
He raced the short course race (4 laps) in the same car. He did a total of 14 laps. The desert race turns out to be 152 miles. The short course race 61 miles.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000