UTV World Championship LIVE Coverage!

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
I thought the start was awesome. I started in the middle of row 4 and had planned on taking it easy and letting everybody get out front. The flag dropped and I hit the button and popped the clutch and started shifting gears. Got to turn one and I was in 3rd place out of my row. I guess I should have tried to go fast. The dust was bad once we got out of the watered sections but so what? It would have been nice to have it watered just a little farther or do a complete short course lap before heading out in to the desert but I would race it again either way. It didn't take long before it cleared out and wasn't any different than every time you catch a car.

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I thought the start was awesome. I started in the middle of row 4 and had planned on taking it easy and letting everybody get out front. The flag dropped and I hit the button and popped the clutch and started shifting gears. Got to turn one and I was in 3rd place out of my row. I guess I should have tried to go fast. The dust was bad once we got out of the watered sections but so what? It would have been nice to have it watered just a little farther or do a complete short course lap before heading out in to the desert but I would race it again either way. It didn't take long before it cleared out and wasn't any different than every time you catch a car.
Right on Pierre!! Cool seeing you and Shannon at Tech!!

pgarfinkle

Jan 30, 2015
Not many had the GPS file and so drivers were driving off tail lights through the dust. Unfortunately, there were a ton of people who ended up upside down, in ditches, way off the track, and in some seriously vulnerable situations. .
You don't drive off GPS in the dust...doing so will end up with you either crashed or someone else run over.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
You don't drive off GPS in the dust...doing so will end up with you either crashed or someone else run over.
Hence what happened this weekend. Pick your poison. Diving with no GPS and ending up In a ditch, or driving with GPS and possibly hitting someone. I'd like to know how many people stopped and waited for the dust to settle this weekend

pgarfinkle

Jan 30, 2015
Hence what happened this weekend. Pick your poison. Diving with no GPS and ending up In a ditch, or driving with GPS and possibly hitting someone. I'd like to know how many people stopped and waited for the dust to settle this weekend
If you are racing smart, neither should be much of a concern. If you can't control your vehicle at the speeds you are driving then maybe you should slow down. If you have GPS, it is not a license to drive where you can't physically see.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
If you are racing smart, neither should be much of a concern. If you can't control your vehicle at the speeds you are driving then maybe you should slow down. If you have GPS, it is not a license to drive where you can't physically see.
Pgarfinkle I will have to assume you have never raced a desert race? The fact is if you want to be competitive you need to sometimes race via GPS in the dust. We have all done it, another way we race blindly in the dust is to watch the other guys amber light. If it looks like its not bouncing around you keep your for in it and aim for the light. If you do as you say and slow or stop to let the dust clear you will most likely get slammed and ran over from behind. To me that is just as scary as racing through the dust.

I have raced in Class 1 a few times as a navigator and know racing by GPS happens way more then you would think. Racing wide open in the blinding dust is why I turned down navigation in class 1 and a TT. My balls were not big enough to run as hard as long as those guys do through the dust.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
lol.

pgarfinkle

Jan 30, 2015
Pgarfinkle I will have to assume you have never raced a desert race? The fact is if you want to be competitive you need to sometimes race via GPS in the dust. We have all done it, another way we race blindly in the dust is to watch the other guys amber light. If it looks like its not bouncing around you keep your for in it and aim for the light. If you do as you say and slow or stop to let the dust clear you will most likely get slammed and ran over from behind. To me that is just as scary as racing through the dust.

I have raced in Class 1 a few times as a navigator and know racing by GPS happens way more then you would think. Racing wide open in the blinding dust is why I turned down navigation in class 1 and a TT. My balls were not big enough to run as hard as long as those guys do through the dust.
Yep, I'm just a keyboard racer......

But lets assume for a minute that I am not and that I have raced for a decent amount of time with well over two dozen podiums in several classes including some wins and championships and have been a team owner for the majority of that time. Would that change your opinion of my point?

In case, I wasn't clear on my point before.

GPS doesn't giving you some sort of super skill to drive better in the dust. It is a tool to help you know what is coming up in terms of turns and dangers that were there when you either preran the course or when the GPS file is made. The course changes constantly. If you race you already know this.

And if you are going so fast with or without GPS that you can't properly stop of turn then you are in over your head.

You say I stated to stop to let the dust clear, which I did not. Read before you respond.

People raced hard for years before GPS came to the sport. In Dakar they still do.

Accidents will happen, its racing after all. But doing stupid things, is just well, stupid.

Thread derail over.

Back to the point of the thread, I don't know how the feed was for those viewing but I thought the announcer was doing a pretty good job.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyD23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000