UTVUG LOORRS Glen Helen Pics & Results

Hounslow

El Jefe Numero Uno - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 1, 2009
Your not just paying for parts. When there is only a select few able to squeeze this kinda power out of those motors. Your paying for what they know and the R&D it took to get there.

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona
Could we break down that $10,000 and where it is in these engines. I have been racing and around race cars all my life and I know what it takes to build an engine. And $10,000 in a block and internals is impossible in a Teryx engine.
Oh its possible. There is always a spare motor in the trailer ready to go, plus spare parts to rebuild most of the car. So pretty much one of everything. Someone took utv racing way too far. I don't know if it was funco, xmf, weller, or hrt but you always have to be faster then the other guy. If I remember right RJ Anderson's motor was up to 30,000(I could be wrong) back in CORR days. That's RzR hauls ass though!

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona
There are 4 top kawi builders
George and Winbury .... C & G performance Fontana Ca.
Kimbrell ..................... Weller Arizona
Van Beekum ................ Muzzy Oregon
Dempsey .....................Kroyer Las Vegas

Obviously I am partial to Gary at C & G
You also can't count out Benchmark. Chris doesn't have anyone out there on the track but can still build a mean motor. The flying banana teryx was a fast car.

rmuzzy

Mr. Muzzy - UTVUnderground Approved
Sep 2, 2009
Bend Oregon
Not sure where you got your numbers. I come up with about 4000.00 in engine parts at retail. That includes Heads complete, Cams, Pistons and Cylinders, and Rods. I will try to explain why motorcycle, ATV, and UTV race parts are so much more than automotive parts. The main reason is that the development costs have to be recovered somehow. The number of auto racing customers to UTV racing customers is easily 2000 to 1. That means the development costs can be spread over thousands of parts as oposed to maybe 100. Lets take a piston, most pistons are forged and that requires forging dies that are very expensive. A common bore size for a car might be 4 inches the potential sales for that piston might be 100,000. The common size for a UTV is just over 3 inches and potential sales might be 1,000. Remember there are only two pistons in the UTV and a small number of racers. The forging dies cost the same for both pistons. The same thing applies to all parts. When you here the big numbers like 10,000 for a UTV engine I think that is a case where the customer has hired an engine builder to develope an engine for him only, in a particular type of racing and is paying the developement costs also.

rmuzzy

Sep 2, 2009
Bend Oregon
Fabman-The engines used in the LOORS UTV series are the same level of performance as the top Pro trucks. I think if you check you will find that the cost for one of those truck engines is considerably more than you spent on yours.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Thanks for your replies guy's. I alway's wondered why people said racing UTV's was going to be expensive HOLY COW! I seen 1 builder that wanted $6,700 for a 2 cyl. Teryx engine, WHAAAAAT?

Last summer I built a 525hp all forged aluminum headed 383 small block chevy for the truck pictured in my posts with the best of everything and I have $5,800 in it with me doing everything but machine work that was $280.00. Here is the engine. YouTube - PaPaDragger's Channel

Think about it, forged crank, 8 forged H beam rods, 8 forged pistons, camshaft, timing gear, bearings, rings, aluminum heads, valve train, gaskets, carb, intake and on and on and on. $6,700 for a tuned 75 hp 2 cyl. engine? Something isn't right! Sorry, but no one will ever be able to justify to me that price for that engine kit, no way!

Its all relative. Do you think your 383 could keep up with the P-2's at LOORRS or TORC and live?

What do you think it would cost to get your 383 up to race speed?

Ill answer, A-Fn-lot!! Im not disrespectiong your build, just saying to build competitive racing HP its going to take more $$.

I have friends that are racing a pro-2 this year, their learning curve is brutal & twice as expensive, dont know the exact price but Im pretty sure they paid over 4 times the cost a built Teryx motor for a used small block LOORRS spec race 700+hp engine from the same guy that builds LeDucs & others race engines, and I bet Im low on the price.

Also, how many small block Chevy engines are out there being rodded & raced? Now how many Teryx engines are there? And of all the Teryx engines how many are being raced at this level? I counted 5 last race.

Also, small block has been around for over 50 years, has a bottomless pit of off the shelf bolt on parts, and that much public knowledge as well. The Teryx has been here since 2008, has a limited amount of parts & the racers are paying the R&D expense so the can eventually get small block Chevy prices but until then...

Could we break down that $10,000 and where it is in these engines. I have been racing and around race cars all my life and I know what it takes to build an engine. And $10,000 in a block and internals is impossible in a Teryx engine.
If its that easy start building race Teryx engines then.

Two things that are forgetting in all this is one, the 70 is RWHP, at the crank I would bet theres around 130hp.
Two, the clutch, these builders are getting that kind of power through a rubberband and the clutch has to be tune'd correctly to connect the pieces.

Last, a Majors built Limited Buggy engine is around 6-7K, thats 6-7k for a spec 1600cc VW bug engine that has been in existance since 1938.

Tough $$$$.$$ to swallow but I hope that helps.

Edit, Rob beat me to it.

Last edited:

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
There are 4 top kawi builders
George and Winbury .... C & G performance Fontana Ca.
Kimbrell ..................... Weller Arizona
Van Beekum ................ Muzzy Oregon
Dempsey .....................Kroyer Las Vegas

Obviously I am partial to Gary at C & G
You also can't count out Benchmark. Chris doesn't have anyone out there on the track but can still build a mean motor. The flying banana teryx was a fast car.

exactly, birdy says one of the competitors is gonna get Benchmark ported heads and TB's for the next round!!!! :cool:

I never had a backup motor, and held it's own in reality compared the the twin cyl machines.

BTW 70 to the wheels is around 100-110 Crank HP on these machines.

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Rob, thanks for your explanation. It is alway's nice if you question pricing of a product that someone that actually is involved in the industry explains why the pricing is as such, thanks. I had no Idea the units of these engines that are sold, but I do now and it makes sense.

With the engine for my truck comparison, I was trying to compare apples to apples. A $6,000 engine to a $6,000 engine. I didn't know I was supposed to build an engine for a half million dollar full race off road truck when I built this one for my street truck.

rmuzzy

Sep 2, 2009
Bend Oregon
Funny how we all see things different, apples to apples to us is Pro Truck to Pro UTV. Play truck to to play UTV. Play parts for UTV's are still more expensive than play parts for trucks. I am pretty sure a race UTV is less than a race truck and a play UTV is less than a play truck over all cost.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I dont think anyone else mentioned it.....but Production runs 350 Chevy vs Teryx

Chevy 350 rod they probably run 300+ at a time

Kawi Teryx rods they probably make 30 at a time If that....

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
Well Rob I'll tell ya what, anytime you are gonna be passin' through Missouri, load that "full Race" Teryx toy up & bring it by and we wil run it against this lame ass 638hp to the wheels street truck and we will see which was the better spent hp, " dollar for dollar". Oh, and don't forget your video camera so you can post up the results. :D End of story!

rmuzzy

Sep 2, 2009
Bend Oregon
Fabman- apparently I have offended you somehow. I tried to give you a reasonable explanation as to why UTV parts cost more than automotive parts. Seems like you are just looking for a fight. I am sure your 500hp truck/now 638 hp truck was a great deal and I certainly hope it will beat my or anybody elses Teryx on the streat. So congratulations you win.
Rob

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
The 500hp in the video was an estimate on motor without the 250hp NOS shot and dyno tune. The engine was on a start stand and as it sat, was actually 523hp at the crank. I wasn't looking for a fight, just proving a point. Lets end it here.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
The 500hp in the video was an estimate on motor without the 250hp NOS shot and dyno tune. The engine was on a start stand and as it sat, was actually 523hp at the crank. I wasn't looking for a fight, just proving a point. Lets end it here.
don't like the price, don't race. or run a stock motor and hang in the back.

qtys are what drive prices, all mfr's when making limited qtys or custom parts, cost more. period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000