What are your UTV pet-peeves?

Ctown208

Feb 25, 2013
We know Frankie hates people calling build threads "build threads" when they should really be called "bolt on threads", and that thread he started made me think. Lets purge the crap that annoys us in our sport.. So here are a few of mine.. this is for fun, so lets not get all butt hurt.. lol

1. I hate when fans of one brand constantly find reasons to talk crap about another one. I mean, I am guilty of it, I hate Chevy, total Ford guy here, but even I can admit they have some decent stuff going on (very little) lol So if you are a Can-Am guy or a RZR guy and you see a thread pop up that says the other brand, you probably know you don't give a crap already before you even read it. If thats the case, read it with a grain a salt and if you don't have anything decent to say then save it for another time..

2. Please bead roll the edges of your aluminum! Whether your a shop or a dude in the garage, if you have the time and skill to do your own aluminum, at least make the edges fit to the dang tubing and make it look right!

3. Builders, please don't complain that someone else "stole" your design. It happens, but others also have the same creative ideas from time to time. There are only so many ways to skin a cat and reality is if you put the effort in to your own work, then the biters will constantly have to play catch up anyway. I am SUPER guilty of this as it pertained to UTVUG in the early years. Even when guys did totally copy our stuff, sometimes word for word, or steal our content I got PISSED and went at them with a vengeance. These days I am like whatever. Copy me and I know I am dominating!

4. Quit it with the whole social media #thatsayssomethingthatwillnevertrendforthesakeofnotjusttypingyourcreativeordescriptivecommentout. Again, I am guilty of this, but I am wayy better about it because its annoying to so many people and the whole point of a "#" is to generate a trend that other people follow!

5. Racers, quit making excuses! Just because you were "leading" on time in the first 30 miles of a 1000 mile race doesn't mean you were going to win if you didn't run out of gas, then get held up by a slower vehicle who wouldn't move and your impact battery was dead and then your co-rider got sick. Or that you were killing it in your short course race and were in the top 3 then you lost steering and rolled but then when you got back on all 4s with a lap down you were charging hard and got spun out by a guy WHO WAS ON THE LEAD LAP! You weren't WINNING anything, your excuse is not to explain why you didn't win, you lost.. its racing, you win, place or lose. Its simple. So just take your licking, prop out your team and sponsors, drop a line about the day and tell us how you are coming back next time to kick ass. Save the long drawn out story of excuses and make the story about the day and the experience. (I am not talking about anyone person so before you send me a hate message note I totally just made all of this up hypothetically)

6. STOP USING DUBSTEP IN YOUR DAMN VIDEOS!!! I have had this talk with my guys and there is a right time for the right song and DUBSTEP is not the right song for anything anymore. Not going to say one of my team may not edit to one, but I have made it a strong request not too. Its played out and lame. If I see one more video with some guy screaming SAIL into my ears I may just quit and disappear forever.. lol

7. If you are going to use a photo, that you did not pay for, from a professional photographer, or from a media site like this one, in your social post, or on your race pr, or on your website, then TAG us or them!! Some people shoot photos for fun, those guys usually don't care, but companies like us and photographers are spending good money to get those shots. At least show us some love by giving credit and or a tag.

8. Do you really need every accessory on your vehicle known to man?? Please have a sense of purpose when putting a product on your car! Of course to each his own and I get that what I like you may not, but it annoys me when I see some of the crap people use to booger up their machines.

9. Wear a damn helmet already! I am not trying to be Obama over here and tell you what to do with your life, and of course I get that you are all big boys and girls and can make your own decisions. But just like when I see a dude doing 80 on the fwy on a motorcycle in AZ with no helmet on, I cringe when I see dudes hauling butt in their UTVs without one. You hitting your head and going all tard on us or worse, like dying, does affect the rest of us and our freedoms. If you are cruising, doing some light trail riding, I get it, we don't need them and I don't always wear one when just rolling around, but if you are going to put a seat belt on, why not put a brain bucket on!!???

10. You are not Robby Gordon and the area around my camp is not your race course. You might think you are just owning the rest of the riding area with your insane driving skills. That we are all sitting at the camp watching you fly by saying "wow look at the dude with the tribal tattoo in the stock RZR doing like 65mph through flat ground by us!" But we aren't! What we are really saying is, if that guy gets any closer I am going to kick his ass.. We are also saying, hey babe, make sure the kids are over here so this jack ass with the gay tattoo isn't going to run them over! Oh and if you ride a Banshee and arrive in Glamis at 2am.. STFU and save the riding for the next day. When I say next day, I don't mean 7am either moron! I mean like 10am, then you can sit there and rev and warm up and then run through 3rd gear all you want over and over within a 1/4mile area.. dumb ass..

Anyway, there is my top 10... Sorry if I hurt any feelings, not my intent, just trying to make our UTV sport a better place...

#thanksobama
Lol. Classic

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
That the Mint 400 has a two hour tv showing put on by POLARIS and the utv's get maybe 3 minutes. Epic fail on the marketing department there. Should at least had it in the contract with NBC or Red bull or whoever to cover some of the race besides a few highlight shots we have already been watching here on UTVUG for months. For crying out loud, if they want to grow the offroad market in general it will be with UTVs not TT. No one is going to watch the race and decide to go out and buy/build a TT. And RZR commercials make it look like a toy, not a race capable machine when all the TV coverage is of the trucks.

Now the XP1K commercial was awsome. It did fail on the fact that it didn't tell everyone that hasn't been looking at the UTV market to go down to the dealership and check one out for themselves. I mean I am not even sure what it was trying to sell. If it was my first time seeing it I would have been left wanting to know more but no direction to look other than to Google it. I hope this comes off as constructive criticism. JoeyD and mad media nailed it on the cool scale but as far as the capitalistic side, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
That the Mint 400 has a two hour tv showing put on by POLARIS and the utv's get maybe 3 minutes. Epic fail on the marketing department there. Should at least had it in the contract with NBC or Red bull or whoever to cover some of the race besides a few highlight shots we have already been watching here on UTVUG for months. For crying out loud, if they want to grow the offroad market in general it will be with UTVs not TT. No one is going to watch the race and decide to go out and buy/build a TT. And RZR commercials make it look like a toy, not a race capable machine when all the TV coverage is of the trucks.

Now the XP1K commercial was awsome. It did fail on the fact that it didn't tell everyone that hasn't been looking at the UTV market to go down to the dealership and check one out for themselves. I mean I am not even sure what it was trying to sell. If it was my first time seeing it I would have been left wanting to know more but no direction to look other than to Google it. I hope this comes off as constructive criticism. JoeyD and mad media nailed it on the cool scale but as far as the capitalistic side, I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish.

Who's marketing department failed? Polaris just got more eyeballs in front of an endemic audience then they will from any other TV show or commercial they sponsor all year! This show just reached more eyeballs in one day on NBC and on the RedBull website then destination Polaris or our race videos will get all year maybe?

If you think we can sell RedBull on giving up one of their covered Signature Series time slots on a national network during prime time weekend time-slot for a 2hr UTV race you're crazy. RedBull wanted to showcase Trophy Trucks and 2 of their biggest athletes in the process. UTVs got to go along for the ride!

Trophy Trucks sell eyeballs, not UTVs unfortunately. No one wants to see more UTV coverage then me but this show was the mint 400 and the TTs are the elite division of off road racing. Polaris is a sponsor just like General Tire. We should all be pretty stoked we got the level of coverage we did get. How do you think the other class guys feel who got nothing? Polaris is smart in sponsoring this show, and not just this one, Polaris is sponsoring the entire RedBull signature series this year because of the eyeballs their quality event related shows attract. Not to mention the cool factor that surrounds RedBull.

As for our XP1K commercial, we aren't trying to sell machines directly. We want people to search it and watch it then decide whether they want to go to a dealership. It was a commercial for the project, not a Rzr perse. I haven't looked at our view count to see if it worked at all.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
You maybe correct. Polaris might have had to pay through the nose for what they got. I am more frustrated with the whole show than just the utv thing. I love watching TT but with all the effort they put in to just fill time they missed a lot of good racing in the other classes. It was clear they wanted to show pastrana and the red bull truck as much as they could even though he wasn't leading otherwise they would have show more of the 3rd and 4th place guys too. I shouldn't be mad at red bull at all. At least they brought us something. It's like when people cry about the polaris sponsored videos that you put out!

At the end of the XP1K commercial you could have at least had something that said to youtube it. Just my 2 wooden nickles. Hope it accomplishes what you set out to do.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Who's marketing department failed? Polaris just got more eyeballs in front of an endemic audience then they will from any other TV show or commercial they sponsor all year! This show just reached more eyeballs in one day on NBC and on the RedBull website then destination Polaris or our race videos will get all year maybe?

If you think we can sell RedBull on giving up one of their covered Signature Series time slots on a national network during prime time weekend time-slot for a 2hr UTV race you're crazy. RedBull wanted to showcase Trophy Trucks and 2 of their biggest athletes in the process. UTVs got to go along for the ride!

Trophy Trucks sell eyeballs, not UTVs unfortunately. No one wants to see more UTV coverage then me but this show was the mint 400 and the TTs are the elite division of off road racing. Polaris is a sponsor just like General Tire. We should all be pretty stoked we got the level of coverage we did get. How do you think the other class guys feel who got nothing? Polaris is smart in sponsoring this show, and not just this one, Polaris is sponsoring the entire RedBull signature series this year because of the eyeballs their quality event related shows attract. Not to mention the cool factor that surrounds RedBull.

As for our XP1K commercial, we aren't trying to sell machines directly. We want people to search it and watch it then decide whether they want to go to a dealership. It was a commercial for the project, not a Rzr perse. I haven't looked at our view count to see if it worked at all.
I am pretty sure Polaris got what they wanted. they reached every off-road guy out there, but iam pretty sure nascar and ufc have way more viewers every week. "with all due respect" I didn't see a whole segment on the dodge dart just saying. and I seen nothing on best in the desert. does this show how cheap they are or they just riding the coat tails. All UTV guys should start now for all mileage for next year. If Polaris was smart have 50 1000xp out there to rent and put 1800 numbers on them and let all TT do lap in morning. Better yet I ment mad media/bitd so Polaris isn't liable. I bet UTV would be in the big show.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I am pretty sure Polaris got what they wanted. they reached every off-road guy out there, but iam pretty sure nascar and ufc have way more viewers every week. "with all due respect" I didn't see a whole segment on the dodge dart just saying. and I seen nothing on best in the desert. does this show how cheap they are or they just riding the coat tails. All UTV guys should start now for all mileage for next year. If Polaris was smart have 50 1000xp out there to rent and put 1800 numbers on them and let all TT do lap in morning. Better yet I ment mad media/bitd so Polaris isn't liable. I bet UTV would be in the big show.
Reality is this.. General Tire is the title sponsor of the RACE, how much General Tire content did you see?

The reason Polaris got love is #1 they are a sponsor of the RACE but the main reason is they are a sponsor of the RedBull Signature Series.

I personally hope that the show can go back to the way it was the last 4 years and do away with RedBull. Problem with that is then we probably don't get the reach the show just got. Its a catch 22.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Also, Tavo who is a Red Bull driver got very little time and that dude is probably one of the most talented and intense drivers in a truck these days.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
Also, Tavo who is a Red Bull driver got very little time and that dude is probably one of the most talented and intense drivers in a truck these days.
if you wait for it to come to you, you'll never get it. A lot of people expect media to flock to them for some reason ..

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I kept cracking up every time the announcer would reference Tavo as the "Mexican" driver. How about the very talented driver from Mexico or just a damn good driver. LOL.

That guy can drive.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I kept cracking up every time the announcer would reference Tavo as the "Mexican" driver. How about the very talented driver from Mexico or just a damn good driver. LOL.

That guy can drive.
That's because his accent made it impossible for him to properly pronounce people's names. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
JD's 'trash in the dez' has to be my #1.

JD's 'Banshee with Toomey pipes doing doughnuts around my toy hauler at 2 am has to be my #2).

Aftermarket 'pipe' manufacturers that claim '10% more power' with a simple slip on. Sorry, most aftermarket pipes make less power than stock. Muzzy is the one that we know that actually makes power.

Then there is those that want a 'race report' and then don't want to hear why we did so well or why we sucked. One is perceived as bragging and the other as excuses. It is just the truth! If you don't want a race report then don't ask.

Dealers wanting to sell more UTV but who don't want to 'support the sport.' I give Kudos to Bert's Mega Mall for supporting UTV racers and also to Ride Now. What about Chaparral, Moto World, Valley Cycle or every other dealer that wants to profit from UTV racing. Step up.

Hypocrite racers who want respect and acknowledgement, but don't return the favor when another team wins.

People who bag on the OEMs. They say they don't do enough to 'keeping trails open,' 'not sponsoring more racers,' etc. Actually they have no clue how much effort, money and time the OEM's spend on the aforementioned subject, yet they claim it is not enough. If you knew how many inquires that the OEM's get in a day your head would spin. The people that work at the UTV OEMs are very, very smart people and work to put their assets in the right places. Are they perfect....'pffffffft' fug no, but then again nor are you and nor am I. And no I don't work for an OEM.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az

That guy can drive.
Yeah same here we watched 1/2 of it in the morning and went for a Cinder Mountain cruise at Sunset Crater came back to the cabin and watched the recording of it and Kept laughing everytime he said the Mexican. LMAO. Good spot for a scene from Blazing Saddles now if I don't say so myself.:D

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
If you go to a "Church of the Nazarene" brunch, odds are, you can expect to hear a lot of religious jabbering. If you attend the "Budweiser Cup" (mmm, beer!) Hydroplane races, chances are you're not going to find Coors on tap. Yay! When "Polaris Presents" an event, well, we already know that the other brands of UTV's will, for the most part, be overlooked.

Why can't we all learn that the organization which provides funding for any given event, is most likely the brand you will be watching when the event publicly airs. I was bummed that besides TT's and class 1's, only a few UTE's were shown, and of course the UTV coverage reflected only the source of the funding. (Although General didn't spend "extra effort" to edit out the BFG content. Hmmm?) Bummed, yes. Surprised, no!

I prepared myself for the content of the broadcast, and therefore, enjoyed it immensely. Best coverage of a desert race one can expect nowadays. I still think it pales in comparison to the days when off road racing was covered equally, and with out bias.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGKi3bfb7E
That my friends, is how to really share a sporting event with the public. From the well funded teams, all of the way down to the grass roots of the sport, NO-ONE was too insignificant to be worthy of valuable air time.

I expect that a true fan of the sport, such as myself, would rather have seen an equal amount of time given to the lower "classes" as was allowed for the big guys. It is what it is guys. Times are changing rapidly, so enjoy what diversity you are alotted before it is gone. What do you think the choices in life that are available to you will be like when power house companies are through conglomerating the market? When giants like NBC form subsidiaries with the likes of Genereal Electric, Comcast, Telemundo, Universal Resorts, well you get the idea.

The bottom line is, as time goes by, we all must get used to things being crammed down our throats the way that the "guys with the ties" want it to be. At least we still have enough liberties allotted to us so we can speak our minds without being incriminated for doing so. That is, until the oil companies that we allow to control our lifestyles gobble up piss ant companies, comparatively speaking, like NBC Universal and gain even more control over our choices and freedoms. Wow! That badassmav is one paranoid twisted dude! Maybe, but I sure miss yesterday...

Man, another rant! I really am old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000