All UTV's What's the best WORKING UTV?

Jackalope

Oct 13, 2011
I have experience with two work UTVs:

2011 John Deere Gator XUV 825i Long Term Review
2009 Polaris RZR HD Long Term Review

Both have good sized beds with the ability to actually carry the weight in the specs. The Gator has a longer bed.

The Ranger HD has self-leveling shocks that kick in and lift the rear as necessary while you drive (takes a little bit of driving). The power steering on the HD is awesome. Did some recreational riding with the Ranger as well.

The Gator is more towards the work side than the Ranger, but I did take it to Sand Mountain and romped around the dunes with it one weekend - John Deere Gator 825i XUV Dune Review

Either are great machines that are built for work, but also suitable for trail rides.
How much bigger is that bed on the Gator Crowdog? That would be a big plus.

Nevermind! I just used the links you provided. Looks like the Gator is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Only bad thing is the price! Wow! Decked out the way I want it, it's over $15K. I need to gear back my wants I guess. But the base unit is very good. Thanks!

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
No problem, but I view the new RUV 850 much like the Polaris Razr, a fine design if that's what you're looking for. For me, not nearly enough bed, no tilt on the bed and a lot spent on performance I don't need.

I think the "mainstream" Rhinos, Rangers, etc. are what I'm looking for. I just want one that will take WORKING punishment as opposed to RACING punishment.
What you are looking for is the XUV 825i. That's what Joey was just talking about. The 850 (RSX 850) is a sport machine and not what you want.

John Deere invented the SXS. John Deere pioneered the work utility machine. John Deere has the largest dealer and parts network in the world. John Deere is a true workhorse and will take punishment long after the others have given up and died. Look at the frame on the John Deere versus the others. John Deere has a hydraformed steel frame measuring around 7 inches versus the Yamaha's and Polaris' small diameter tube frames.

Do yourself a favor, go take a look at the John Deere XUV 825i before you buy anything. Test drive them, watch videos on them. Try the four wheel drive out (the John Deere and Polaris have 4WD that eclipses the Rhino and Mule). I have customers that come in the shop,thinking they want the Prowlers or Rangers, and they leave with John Deeres... that's after driving them on our test track out back and showing them the real work features...

And John Deere, you can't get more Mainstream American than that...

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
This was on another board and it's a RZR with a ranger bed , it was dealer built (just the bed add on ) for around $1.500 . I think it looks kinda cool .

Hermio

Feb 8, 2015
I see all sorts of arguments here about the best, fastest, mud-buggy and rock climber, but hardly a single word about the one's bought for hunting or working.

I'm looking for a SxS with a large bed, 4WD and preferably some sort of "turf-mode" that can unlock the differential rather than tear up the grass.

I'll be using the bed to haul lumber, concrete and building supplies. I'll be hauling topsoil, fertilizer and manure.

I'll be going into to woods where speed isn't all that important, but the ability to climb slick and muddy hills will be. I need to be able to ford streams and maneuver in thick woods.

But most of all, I need something that won't break down and leave me stranded.

I won't be jumping it. I won't be going 50 mph over rocks. I won't be racing it. I'll be using it to work. But occasionally, I might drive it "briskly" on a trail. I want something with a bit more spirit than a Gator or a Mule.

I like the Yamaha Rhino, but the bed is small and you can't unlock the differential.

I like the Polaris Ranger, but I keep hearing about terrible heating problems in the new ones.

I like the Artic Cat Prowler, but I keep hearing that they break down.

Who can tell me about how good these (or others) are for work?
I ended up buying an Intimidator Crew. It is not built for speed (25 Hp, 33 mph tops) , but can carry more and tow more than anything else on the market. It is built like a tank. I have pulled down a 4" diameter tree with it. And it has an 11" suspension travel, so it handles the bumps very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000