Kawasaki Wife wants 4 seats I wanted 2, so T4?

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
So I have been dead set on a maverick for a long time, but the wife wants a 4 seater. I have been reading a lot about the t4's and am very intrigued. I like the shorter wheelbase of the t4 compared to an xp4 or mav4. How well of a performer is this thing all around? The only utv I has spent time in is a rhino and rzr 800. So how would it compare in the dunes and desert power wise and stuff.I would def do long travel. Most of my riding would be local desert whoops and rock crawling with the occasional dumont run. Any info would be cool, because I don't know if I wanna go the t4 route. I'd love the maverick but the wife wants 4 seats, I don't like the long wheelbase 4 seat machines for rock crawling. Am I over reacting to the length? I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'd be happy with a long travel t4 or stick with the plan for a maverick or consider other 4 seat options. Thanks guys I keep catching crap from the wife cuz this is all I talk about lol.

Last edited:

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
I have only rode in a 4 seater rzr 800 and xp 4 but believe it or not the extra length made it easier to rock crawl. I dont jnow how a teryx4 handles or feels power wise but i know its not as fast or handles as well as a xp4

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield

A little extra length will benefit you as much as it'll hurt you in the rocks. Weight distribution is really nice in the longer rides so you can do the scary steep stuff without the scary and even when there's a lip at the top you don't to worry too much about rolling over backward. I wouldn't sweat it if it makes Mamma happy and gets you into a new wheeler. I did Elvis at JV last weekend in the Short Bus and they don't come much longer than that!

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I have a T-4, for rocks and open desert, non sand, its a great ride "with long travel" stock it will beat you up in the whoops.
If you are gonna rock crawl you will also want skids, they make sliding over rocks much easier.
With a RzR4 you just add skids and such and its really ready to go, they do pretty damn good.
I thinks its sort of a Toyota vs Jeep debate.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
So the length isn't as bad as I thought it would be? How about break over point on rocks and stuff? I don't feel real comfortable in rzr's so that why I'm lookin at other options.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
You can't go wring with a T4. I fricken love my T4. I love all my UTV's but thats besides the point. The T4 for my family and being an all around UTV is the best. It crawls like no other UTV I have ever had and its extremly comfortable to ride in. Grant it, my T4 isn't stock but who keeps their's stock anyway? lol The Funco +6 suspension rides like a dream with Fox shocks. I LOVE my T4!

bluedevil

Feb 9, 2013
kentucky
I have had a T4 for a little over a year now. I wouldn't consider any other 4 seater, but I do ride in wooded areas and a lot of rocky trails. so the size is just right for me. the redesigned motor for the T4 has a lot of torque and every thing on it is made stronger.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
How does it do in the dunes Joey? Has it ever failed to climb or take you anywhere from lack of power? I have seen your t4 when you were here In Barstow a while back and crowdogs too. If I get one those are what I'm modeling mine off of.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I took it to the dunes stock with paddles and it was bad ass! I went everywhere I wanted to go in 2wd for the most part. I do think that with LT you lose a little bit of power or for sure atleast when you add the big wheels and tires I have. I am not going to win any drag races in my T4 but I will climb any dirt or rock hill I point it at, traction permitting.

In the dunes, it did great and was a real surprise but the T4 shines in the dirt and rocks especially when you add some LT to it!

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
So I have been dead set on a maverick for a long time, but the wife wants a 4 seater. I have been reading a lot about the t4's and am very intrigued. I like the shorter wheelbase of the t4 compared to an xp4 or mav4. How well of a performer is this thing all around? The only utv I has spent time in is a rhino and rzr 800. So how would it compare in the dunes and desert power wise and stuff.I would def do long travel. Most of my riding would be local desert whoops and rock crawling with the occasional dumont run. Any info would be cool, because I don't know if I wanna go the t4 route. I'd love the maverick but the wife wants 4 seats, I don't like the long wheelbase 4 seat machines for rock crawling. Am I over reacting to the length? I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'd be happy with a long travel t4 or stick with the plan for a maverick or consider other 4 seat options. Thanks guys I keep catching crap from the wife cuz this is all I talk about lol.
im in the same boat as you and have gone back and fourth with the mav and the new wild cat X. but after taking to a few friends with the t4 both stock and long travel im gonna get a t4. it has plenty of power for desert and crawling and the occasional dune run. i had trouble in my T2 keeping up with my buddies LT t4 at glamis and he had a full car of full size guys and i was by myself in mine.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I think the T4 is a perfect fit for desert trails and the occasional dune trip. The true locking front differential is unlike any other 4 seater out there. I just point my T4 and it climbs.

The backseat room is excellent and the bed is just perfect for a small cooler and a box for tools.

i can get 180 miles out of a tank of gas in the T4 also.

the one bad thing about the T4 is aftermarket support, it seems like the numbers of Polaris sxs's have pushed the aftermarket to build for Polaris products only. The t4 is left behind due to numbers of units sold.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Like I said I keep getting intrigued everyone has great things to say about it. I just don't want to wish I had more power you know?

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I think the T4 is a perfect fit for desert trails and the occasional dune trip. The true locking front differential is unlike any other 4 seater out there. I just point my T4 and it climbs.

The backseat room is excellent and the bed is just perfect for a small cooler and a box for tools.

i can get 180 miles out of a tank of gas in the T4 also.

the one bad thing about the T4 is aftermarket support, it seems like the numbers of Polaris sxs's have pushed the aftermarket to build for Polaris products only. The t4 is left behind due to numbers of units sold.
I'm sure you can't really compare it to your maverick but what made you get it too?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I'm sure you can't really compare it to your maverick but what made you get it too?
I bought it before my maverick for a family ride only. Camping in the AZ summer north country is great.

I bought it because it was shorter than the xp4, had a locking front diff, great low end torque and it was thousands cheaper than the polaris.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
we test drove one in vegas/henderson at ride now. my whole family fits in it. im 6'7", wife is 6'2", daughters 6 and 6'1". fit in any seat. long travel and muzzys are great. bed is perfect size for gas can, cooler, tool bag, spare. anybody have trouble fitting a long travel t4 into a toy hauler?

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
If i bought a new one i think the t4 would be the way i would go at this current point in time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000