All UTV's Wrecked it...now time to fix it

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
I had a little accident over the holiday weekend in my RZR. Went end over end and finished with a barrel roll. The initial damage was I sheared off the front lower ball joint on the drivers side and popped the upper off the ball. It caused the wheel to separate and pull the axle from the front diff. The brake line then twisted around the steering rod and the caliper and rotor are toast. On the rear the lower passenger control arm bolt sheared off that goes through the hub. The wheel then pulled away from the lower arm and bent the upper. I was able to get it somewhat together to load it back onto the trailer. I called insurance today and opened a claim. They suggested cleaning it up before the appraiser looks at it on Friday and if possible to take it all back apart to show them the damaged areas. Im fighting a flu and really don't have it in me. I will pressure wash it all off tomorrow but I am not sure who to take it to. A dealer or a local SXS fab shop. There are some small cosmetic issues too like a cracked rocker panel. Seems a dealer can get through it the quickest but I need a good cage put back on and not a stocker. How have others handled this with insurance?

Last edited:

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Were you at glamis? I thought I saw you drive by me a couple times at olds one evening?

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
If you want it fixed take it to a good fab shop. The dealer wont know what to do with it. Oh and welcome to the club rolled my old rex last year in glamis.

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
We have done jobs for insurance through our shop, IMG Motorsports in Lake Elsinore. If you want to put together a quote give me a call or message..
-James Hill 951 471 1615

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I had a little accident over the holiday weekend in my RZR. Went end over end and finished with a barrel roll. The initial damage was I sheared off the front lower ball joint on the drivers side and popped the upper off the ball. It caused the wheel to separate and pull the axle from the front diff. The brake line then twisted around the steering rod and the caliper and rotor are toast. On the rear the lower passenger control arm bolt sheared off that goes through the hub. The wheel then pulled away from the lower arm and bent the upper. I was able to get it somewhat together to load it back onto the trailer. I called insurance today and opened a claim. They suggested cleaning it up before the appraiser looks at it on Friday and if possible to take it all back apart to show them the damaged areas. Im fighting a flu and really don't have it in me. I will pressure wash it all off tomorrow but I am not sure who to take it to. A dealer or a local SXS fab shop. There are some small cosmetic issues too like a crack rocker panel. Seems a dealer can get through it the quickest but I need a good cage put back on and not a stocker. How have others handled this with insurance?
They might total it out. then you can buy it back and fix it to your style. Sometimes the Dealerships are good for estimates cause they want full retail for parts and Labor. and they will find all of the little cosmetic stuff to.:D

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Well I should know soon. Appraiser is coming out Friday and then I am dropping it off at a SXS builder somewhat local to be assessed and go from there with the adjuster. To make it ready to drive is pretty quick but all the little things like removing plastics and the cage and light wiring is time consuming if I tackle the cosmetic stuff. Only things needed to make it drivable is 3 control arms, 2 ball joints and clips and a long bolt with bushing for the rear arm to hub and a rotor and caliper assembly.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well I should know soon. Appraiser is coming out Friday and then I am dropping it off at a SXS builder somewhat local to be assessed and go from there with the adjuster. To make it ready to drive is pretty quick but all the little things like removing plastics and the cage and light wiring is time consuming if I tackle the cosmetic stuff. Only things needed to make it drivable is 3 control arms, 2 ball joints and clips and a long bolt with bushing for the rear arm to hub and a rotor and caliper assembly.
I would be looking for frame damage to. it could be shifted and hard to tell. the Polaris frames are weak. It could be diamond shaped and shifted but it needs a pro to look at it. You would be surprised at what could be moved around. Our friend hit a kid track berm in his 4 seat xp and bent the frame.:eek:
the insurance co totaled it.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Did ya break a ball joint then crash or crash first and break shit.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
I would be looking for frame damage to. it could be shifted and hard to tell. the Polaris frames are weak. It could be diamond shaped and shifted but it needs a pro to look at it. You would be surprised at what could be moved around. Our friend hit a kid track berm in his 4 seat xp and bent the frame.:eek:
the insurance co totaled it.
I will be having it inspected. I did the frame chassis brace tubes and shock tower braces before it ever hit dirt for the first time. Just by inspecting all the usual spots bends occur, and body lines, seams and broken paint from stress, it all looks good so far. The ball joints sheared in the roll.

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
Glad you made it out ok Moss, but bummer to hear about your ride. We've fixed many a rolled RZR, and done a few insurance jobs on them as well. We usually just swap everything over to a fresh frame. Insurance will usually cover that due to damaged suspension pivots alone. Its always good to try and get your car back to as close as new as possible (for your own piece of mind if nothing else). Good luck, and let us know if you need any advice or help.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Glad you made it out ok Moss, but bummer to hear about your ride. We've fixed many a rolled RZR, and done a few insurance jobs on them as well. We usually just swap everything over to a fresh frame. Insurance will usually cover that due to damaged suspension pivots alone. Its always good to try and get your car back to as close as new as possible (for your own piece of mind if nothing else). Good luck, and let us know if you need any advice or help.

Thanks Dan and Rich... I hope it all goes smooth. Insurance so far has been great about it, I just want to make sure the inspection catches anything and I don't find something down the road.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Jason, hurry up and paint it yellow, put a maverick Xrs steeker on it, and ask insurance to total it and get u a new Mav. Worth a shot ;)

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Jason, hurry up and paint it yellow, put a maverick Xrs steeker on it, and ask insurance to total it and get u a new Mav. Worth a shot ;)

As tempting as a new Mav is, it won't fit in my toy hauler... I have a 23' front sleeper and it was more less designed for 2 quads and a bike. My old Rhino would rub the door when not strapped correctly, so I think an XP is even pushing it length wise. We'll see. I will either get mine back looking better than before or they will total it and I will take a hefty hit as add-ons are not covered by Liberty Mutual. I think if I have to go back to another "S" and build it back the way I have mine now all out of pocket again I may leave the sport. That would be a tuff pill to swallow.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
Glad your ok... We we're looking for you on Friday when we ran to the Blu inn... Sorting this stuff out can be a hassle! I hope it all works out for you!!! Can you post pics of the damage? Or would that hurt your claim???

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Glad your ok... We we're looking for you on Friday when we ran to the Blu inn... Sorting this stuff out can be a hassle! I hope it all works out for you!!! Can you post pics of the damage? Or would that hurt your claim???
Josh.. My buddy got two flats on his XP on Thursday...we called Shannon to get the juice on new tires early Friday but couldn't make it happen in time. I told Shannon for you all not to wait. After cleaning the RZR good for the appraiser, I noticed more and more signs of something not legit and am sure the best route is to do a frame swap. Dropping it off tomorrow and was told it will be about another week to two to assess the full damage and then find out if it is going to get repaired or totaled. I have about 22k in receipts so the agent is pretty sure they will repair it.

On another note...if they total it I will have a chance to remove some items and put on the stock parts if anyone wants a deal. I dont keep the stock crap so I would need theirs. Items like the Fox RC2 shocks on rear which are new, front Fox Podiums with MT springs, the UHMW skid, beadlocks with Duro Powergrips 26x9x12s, Rigid lights, Odyssey battery, Pure Polaris ram air style hood, UTV Inc wide removable doors which actually are still in great shape after pressure washing it off.

scmo777

Jan 20, 2009
Brawley, CA
Damn Moss when I talked to you it was just 2 tires, now I know another reason we didnt see you. Glas to see and hear you are OK, If there is anything I can do let me know.:D

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Damn Moss when I talked to you it was just 2 tires, now I know another reason we didnt see you. Glas to see and hear you are OK, If there is anything I can do let me know.:D

Ya we had those fixed by about 1pm and were rolling again. Then everything went south.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000