XP1K Build with component reviews & photos - Update: Wheels and Tires

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
The beginning:

Thanks to some of my good friends, I jumped into this growing industry last year and haven't looked back! Like many of us who get into a new hobby, I immediately launched into the accessory world with very limited knowledge and outfitted my machine with a variety of bolt on crap thinking it was the greatest thing ever, little did I know there are so many options out there so my goal here is to share details of my build over the past year with hopes that others can learn from my mistakes! I live in Western Colorado so for me the most important thing was to build a well rounded machine for fast desert, Moab rocks, Utah and California sand dunes, and the high country here in Colorado. I'm still learning as I go but overall I believe I have built a very nice well rounded machine to tackle a variety of riding style. Of course, none of this would be possible without the help of Kyle Miller (Ratoutahell), Nick Stanko, and the support of MSA Wheels/EFX Tires! I hope you enjoy and please feel free to ask questions, comment, etc. I wish I had the time to post details from start to finish all in one day but who has that kind of time? Therefore I will be posting details as time permits and provide as much details as I can on accessory specifics, vendors used, and why I chose the specific accessory. I've attached a couple pictures, one of how life started as a 2014 titanium matte metallic/orange XP1K and another showing some of the major changes since that day which I will detail throughout this write-up.

IMG_5447.JPG IMG_8642.JPG

Last edited:

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Assault Industries high clearance radius rods and upgraded 7/16" bolts:

One of the first areas I focused on was to strengthen the vulnerable components underneath and since I planned on doing some crawling, high clearance was an obvious choice. For that reason I choose to go with Assault Industries high clearance radius rods. Combined with high clearance is strength with construction from 6061 billet which are over 3X stronger than stock. In addition to the strength and high clearance, these look great and you cant beat the customer service and support from the guys at Assault Industries. For additional strength, we reamed out the misalignment bushings on the radius rods and hubs for 7/16" bolts. We also changed the direction of these bolts to allow the rod ends to ride on the bolt shanks rather than where the shank meets the threads as they do from the factory.

http://assaultind.com/collections/xp-1000/products/rzr-xp-1000-high-clearance-radius-rods-bomber-series

IMG_7029.JPG
IMG_7201.jpg
IMG_2308.JPG

Last edited:

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
TMW Cage and doors:

Like most, I wanted to add some style and rollover protection to my machine so I decided to go with the TMW Offroad Venom V4 cage and Sidewinder doors. Being that I'm so tall at 5'3", I was able to get away with the V4 cage which is an 8" chop from stock. The amount of compliments I receive on this cage are endless due to its low mean look however, most people cant fit with a helmet so this time my height has the advantage! Some other added benefits of this cage are the integrated rear bumper which ties into the radius rods for added strength and protection for the exhaust. There are various add on options for these cages which I did including whip tabs and an intrusion bar. Cage is constructed from .095 DOM tubing. To compliment the cage, I went with TMW's Sidewinder doors which I had powder coated to match the titanium matte metallic. Personally I liked the clean look and lines of these doors which also use the stock latch. I currently have over 1000 miles of hard driving on my machine and zero door rattles like my first set which were Pro Armor.

Cage:
http://www.shop.tmwoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=848&categoryId=105

Doors:
http://www.shop.tmwoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=847&categoryId=105

IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_7028.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Color choices:

At first I liked the bright orange but quickly grew tired of it so I decided to pull all orange off the machine including decals and powder coated satin black to match the cage. Since I had parts to powder coat, I decided to pull some other random parts such as the brake reservoir cover and other miscellaneous hardware for powder coat as well. Attention to detail has always been a thing for me so it was important with this build. It drives me crazy when I see a build that has obvious work and upgrades but absolutely no attention to detail such as wires hanging all over the place! More to come on the attention to detail with this build...

IMG_5706.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
First performance upgrade:

Many choices out there for performance mods but since this was a new machine I wanted to keep it reliable until it was time to tap into the motor. For this reason I kept it simple and added a Full Muzzy Exhaust with a Dobeck AFR+ tuner. Performance wise I cant say this made a noticeable difference other than the ability to monitor AFR with the dash mounted gauge. Another added benefit is of course the sound of the exhaust which in my opinion adds a nice throaty touch and isn't overly obnoxious like some of the other exhaust I've been around. Some of the riding we do is between narrow canyon walls so excessively load exhaust can quickly become annoying. Overall I'm please with this system and would likely run it again although I have eyed some others such as Trinity Racing and HMF.

http://www.muzzys.com/PolarisXP1000/RZRXP1000Products.html

DSC_9356resized.png

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Performance monitoring:

Considering the nature and cost of the investment, I decided to add some simple upgrades to monitor engine performance with Alba Racing gauges for belt temp, water temp, and oil pressure. For the cost, this is cheap insurance with added peace of mind. Sure you can scroll through the factory gauge for some of these parameters but I like the ability to keep my eyes ahead with a quick glance to see what's going on inside...

http://teamalbaracing.com/c-964490-polaris-polaris-utv-rzr-1000-rzr-1000-lighting-electrical.html

IMG_8618.jpg

Reactions: Sandman365

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Magnum Offroad control arms, Summers Brothers front Axles, and Lone Start Racing rear axles:

To compliment the strength and high clearance radius rods, I decided to upgrade my front control arms. There are many great choices out there but I decided on Magnum Offroad control arms due to the full 100% 4130 chromoly boxed construction with internal gusseting. Additionally, these are high clearance and eliminate the factory ball joints with an adjustable upper 3/4" Heim and 7/8" lower Uniball. Since I was expecting to go up in tire size, I also decided to upgrade my axles. For this I went with Summers Brothers Racing 4340 forged steel axles on the front and Lone Star Racing 300M axles on the rear. I had a few axle related questions and reached out to Heath at Lone Star who was very helpful so two thumbs up to the guys at Lone Start Racing for not just quality product but customer service!

Magnum Offroad:
http://magnumoffroad.mybigcommerce.com/rzr-xp-1000-race-control-arm-kit-magnum-offroad/

Summers Brothers:
http://www.summersbrothersracing.com/2013-2014-Polaris-RZR-XP-1000-Front-Axles-4340_p_66.html

Lone Star Racing:
http://www.lsracing.com/rzr-xp1000-...eavy-duty-axle-shafts.1340.148.atv-utv-racing

IMG_8597.jpg IMG_9865.JPG

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Handling and stability: Holz Racing Products

Handling, stability, and body roll suck from the factory and you cant argue with the solid products from HRP. I decided to change out the stock sway bar and went with the HRP rear sway bar and immediately noticed a huge improvement with less body roll. The torsion bar with this kit is heat treated 4340 chromoly steel, the mount tube is 4130, and the kit used Delrin pivot bushings throughout. The sway bar arms are made from CNC machined 2024 aluminum with FK rod-ends

http://www.holzracingproducts.com/product/rear-sway-bar-kit/

HRP.jpg

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Rack & Pinion and HD Tie Rods:

Knowing that I would push my machine and things would eventually break, I focused on areas of weakness to prevent failure on the trail or in the dunes. For that reason I decided to beef up the steering components with a Wicked Bilt Rackzilla (Rack & Pinion) and Assault Industries HD tie rods. The Rackzilla came with beefed up tie rods however, I already had the Assault tie rods so after some hardware swapping, I was able to utilize my Assault tie rods on the Rackzilla. Installation was fairly easy and I have yet to encounter any issues. I will mentioned however, that a friend of mine who also had a Rackzilla experienced failure after just a few rides. Having been with him on every ride, I never observed him doing anything above and beyond what he did with the stock rack and pinion so it was surprising to see this HD unit fail. After going back and forth with Wicked Bilt and sending the unit in for examination, they would not warranty, replace, or even give him a break on a replacement. Again I haven't had any issues with mine but in my opinion based on this experience of a friend, I will not be purchasing again. My next build will have the Gear One HD rack & pinion which is 300M and 6061 Billet. Assault Industries is not only great to deal with but they build some bad ass components including HD 6061 Aluminum tie rods with 4130 hardened chromolly steel Heim joints. Overall I'm happy with my current set-up and it gives me some peace of mind know that there is less likelihood of failure while out on the trails.

Wicked Bilt Rackzilla:
http://www.wickedbilt.com/rackzilla-rack-pinion/14-15-polaris-rzr-xp-1000-rackzilla.html

Assault Industries HD Tie Rods:
http://assaultind.com/collections/xp-1000/products/xp1000-tie-rods

Gear One Rack & Pinion:
http://www.gear-one.com/Htmls/rhino1.html

IMG_9878.JPG

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Wheels and Tires:

No shortage of options here! Off the line I went with Method 401 beadlock and stock tires but later discovered MSA Wheels and EFX Performance Tires which are both owned by Colorado Components and headquartered in my hometown of Grand Junction, Colorado. Somewhere along the way of building my machine, MSA/EFX got a picture of my machine and immediately said "that's the one!". MSA/EFX were in the process of hiring a production company (Vitality Films) to develop a series of marketing videos and approached me about filming. The obvious answer was yes and we proceeded to film for 3 days in the Utah desert with a sweet end product, link to video attached. Since then MSA/EFX has continued to support me with product and this company continues to deliver solid product. I originally started with a set of 15X7 MSA M21 Beadlock wheels and 30" EFX Motohammers. Weight was a little concerning at first with an advertised combined weight around 59lbs but after some various hard pack and rock crawling I was a believer that these performed very well for me. I also ran a set of MSA M23 Battle Wheels with 29" Sand Slinger tires. At first I didn't like these tires since they floated much more than the Sand Strippers however, 30 minutes into riding I was converted. With all the changes in tire sizes, I was interested in running some 32" tires so MSA/EFX answered with a set of 16X7 M26 Vibe (Milled) wheels and 32" EFX Motohammers which combined advertise around 55lbs but I have not weighed to verify. I've only ran the 32's in the high country but my overall impression is great with additional ground clearance. Obviously this would not be appealing to those racing however, MSA just recently released their latest new wheel which is geared towards the racing community and with the new tire size changes in BITD they will have much more to offer racers in the months to come. The R-Forged F2 wheel is currently available in a 14X7 only and the official weight has not been released but it is in the 12.5lbs range. What about a race beadlock? It's coming along with other new product so stay tuned!

I've had some comments about being sponsored for this build so let me be clear that MSA/EFX has been awesome with sponsoring some wheels and tires but everything else on this build has been purchased straight from my pocketbook and wrenched on by me. I wish this could be a fulltime job but as of now its just my hobby and I look forward to building another!

Trail Tested: Hard Pack and Sand

Colorado Components (MSA/EFX):
http://cocomponents.com/dealer/

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_9865.JPG
IMG_8642.JPG
3.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzy

Aug 17, 2015
Western Colorado
Verified previous post wheel and tire weights:
15X7 MSA M21 Beadlock with 30" EFX Motohammer is 56lbs
16X7 MSA M26 Vibe with 32" EFX Motohammer is 56lbs

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I really like the new R-Forged wheel but they only offer it in a 4+3 offset. After reading Shock Therapy's thread on scrub ratio and them saying the 1000 needs a 5+2 I am hesitant to try them. Obviously you are familiar with running a 4+3....what's your opinion on the matter?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000