Yamaha YXZ1000R on Olds Hill, Glamis (DUNE FREQ)

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Nope not affiliated nor a family member, not a rep not paid in any way shape or form. Sorry to disappoint you and the assumption you have come to based on the fact that I have tried damn near every tire over the years and even custom built for me skat Trak paddles that sucked. 25 plus years of Duning and I think I have a pretty good grasp on what really works the best and it starts getting narrowed down to weight and a few other things that make a tire work and I felt like skat Trak didn't get a voice out there as they don't really pay any attention to the net and a few other companies have pushed there tire of choice based on profitability, IMHO. So I try and share what I have learned the hard way which usually involves hard earned money and I want to help guide the unknowing paddle buyer towards what I truly believe is the best all around performance tire for these underpowered cars. And this new generation of purpose built carcass from Extreme Tire for Skat-Trak is gonna be the Top Dog performance Paddle for these new cars. Maybe they will give me another free hat and shirt. Lol.
Molded tires sucked on quads and they suck on SXS. Nothing really changed up Skat-Trak is still the best choice period.

Sent from my Magic Wand!
We are going to have to meet in Glamis at some point this season so I can try Tim's creation. I will give you an unbiased opinion on how they perform compared to my STU set up. To make it a more apples to apples test they need to be mounted on the same rims I run know ( Douglas Ultimate Beadlocks).

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Warlock can you tell me truthfully your connection to Skat? Because most of your post seem to talk about how great the Skat tire is and everything else is crap. Even threads like this which was not a paddle tire tread at all, you seem to bring up Skats and talk down what some else is using.

Are you related to the owners of Skat?
Are you a rep or dealer for them?
Do they sponsor you or give you free tires?
Are you payed per post when you mention Skat?
What is your post percentage where you mention Skats vs not mentioning Skats?
Do the owners know you have chosen to make yourself the Mayor of hyping Skats?

Please be honest as I have never seen or read so much about a product from one person before.

In reality, the molded paddles were work just fine for 90% of the users. They are wide and provide good flotation. Some throw more sand and are not fun to follow. For the 10% that want a little more speed the lighter tire set up is what they may look for.

For me I think the 30" paddle tire is overkill. I would want to stick with a size that is closest to the OEM tire on your ride. The manufacture set up the clutching for that tire size so why mess with it. On the Yamaha it would not be a big deal if you had a way to change the gear ratio for the bigger tires. I am sure that will be coming through the aftermarket.

Reactions: Simi Dude

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
In reality, the molded paddles were work just fine for 90% of the users. They are wide and provide good flotation. Some throw more sand and are not fun to follow. For the 10% that want a little more speed the lighter tire set up is what they may look for.

For me I think the 30" paddle tire is overkill. I would want to stick with a size that is closest to the OEM tire on your ride. The manufacture set up the clutching for that tire size so why mess with it. On the Yamaha it would not be a big deal if you had a way to change the gear ratio for the bigger tires. I am sure that will be coming through the aftermarket.
Knobbies would work good or better than good for 90% of the people maybe cause they don't know anything better nor different because there wife would shit twinkies if he went out and spent another 2k buying tires again. Lmao. Nobody can argue the simple fact that less Rotating mass is not a huge benefit and not just for 10% of the cars. All cars and belts. 100+ HP Car needs all the help it can get its not a 500 or 700 HP Buggy that's turning them.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Whatever size the paddle set up it is to tall, if you want to get some speed climbing the hills. They look like they will float well and be a

I will start that next week. LOL!
The problem is not with the height of the tire its the fact that is Heavy and overweight and over paddled. Everyone likes to over paddle. If a SXS needs a clutch kit after Paddles are installed you have a heavy Tire Problem and possibly a over paddle condition as well. But generally its weight.
I saw one yamaha video and the guy was shooting a steep hill like Brawley slide hill or something and as he was losing power and trying to turn back down and Down Shifting damn near stalled it out sideways as his momentum was killed by the shift also. Tire choice will be a big deal for this car.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Yep - tire choice for your dune set up on the YXZ is going to be more important and maybe even more so because once you push in the clutch to down shift you are going to lose all forward momentum going up a steep hill. A tire that allows it to float and not sink will be key.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
why would you use the clutch for shifting that terd, ...just powershift old school style....;)

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
why would you use the clutch for shifting that terd, ...just powershift old school style....;)
Even power shifting will have a small shift delay in the soft sand on that slip face he was on.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

Reactions: ROTAX

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
We could talk about the Hottie I n the Red dress I just saw.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Not sure how well that would fly

Sent from my Magic Wand!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member