Go Back   UTVUnderground.Com - The #1 Resource for SXS Enthusiasts > UTV Racing > UTV Desert Racing

UTV Desert Racing SCORE, BITD, Ave Racing and any other UTV Desert Racing

Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved

Name: Bobby Raber
rupert14 has much to be proud of
Default Will we need lights at the silverstate? Pics of FOX internal bypass shocks

I am trying to finish up the last couple things on my car before we go do some more testing for the silverstate. I have a question about the time of the race. I think we will leave the start line at about 6:30 am. When does the finish line close and is there a chance we will need headlights?

I am also re-valving my fox 2.5 internal bypass shocks and I was not able to find any information about them online before I started. It appears that there are no photos of the bypass system so I decided to post some pics and explain how they work.

There is a 2" shock body inside a 2.5" shock body. The piston is actually a standard 2" and valving on the piston is just like any other fox shock.

The picture is of the inner 2" shock body that has the bypass ports. The left side of the tube goes in the top of the shock. There are two bleeder holes in the shock body that are always open. Just above each bleeder hole is a bypass shim. The bypass shim has two screws in it and a bypass port on outside of each screw under the shim. Basically, there are a total of four bypass ports and two bleed ports. Obviously, as the piston progresses up (toward the left) it passes the first bleed port, then two bypass ports under the first shim, then another bleed port, and two more bypass ports under the second shim. At that point, only the piston valving is affecting the shock rate.

I realize this is a bypass shock but it is not at all like the traditional bypass shock that has "zones" affected by a bypass tube and valve. This is more like a "progressive" shock because no matter how you valve it, the shock will get progressively stiffer. Most of us valve our traditional bypass shocks in this manner so in theory, if we get the valving right we can get the characteristics to resemble a traditional bypass shock.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Full Throttle

Name: Chris
s2k1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Will we need lights at the silverstate? Pics of FOX internal bypass shocks

Nice post. Rep Points!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved

Name: Derek Murray
dmurray has a reputation beyond reputedmurray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we need lights at the silverstate? Pics of FOX internal bypass shocks

Last year the first MC/quads left at 6:15am and the utvs left at about 645am. I believe most of the finishers came in with enough day light (3pm to 7pm range). The cut off for MC/Quads was 700pm and trucks 11:15pm. I do not remember which cut off was ours. Lights may be needed, but unlikely. Maybe bring to install if needed. We are not going to run them.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
old buggy dork - UTVUnderground Approved

Name: Lucas Hand
HDRA1 has a brilliant future

you should always have 2 functioning lights on the utv at all races just in case
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRA1 View Post
you should always have 2 functioning lights on the utv at all races just in case

I agree. I think it is in the rules that there must be 2 functioning lights at all times. I have two 4" hid's behind my bumper. We have a race strategy meeting tonight and we want to be sure to plan to install the light bar if it looks like we may be running at night.

Based on the information given, it looks like we will plan to be at the finish line before dark. The course mus be pretty fast if everyone is able to finish during the day. This is going to be a great race.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVUnderground Approved

Name: Hans
tatum has much to be proud of

Nice post. I need to get some rebuild kits and new oil and rebuild mine.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatum View Post
Nice post. I need to get some rebuild kits and new oil and rebuild mine.

They are easy to rebuild but there are a couple tricks to it. I had to call Fox tech support to make sure things were going together right. If you decide to do it, let me know and I will warn you of the potential challenges. Kartek has the rebuild kits in stock as I always keep a couple on hand. If you want to rebuild them I would help if you need it. I am curious to see where your valving ended up compared to mine.

How do you like your new motor? Did you change the internal gearing and what size did you go with? I heard you were flying at some recent desert race. What race did you do?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

I havent raced since Soboba were I had overheating issues.Also my shocks were beating me to death.You might be thinking about Nessy 2 at the San Felipe 250.They had a 2 hour issue at the beginning and came back and took the lead only to blow a belt 15 miles from the finish.

Right now I have what I call a stock 840 which is just a bigbore with cams.I do have the brute force gears.I am working on a bigger motor and am probably going back to short course since the desert guys dont want me in there.

I just rebuilt the King shocks on my sand car and I would think they would be similar but I am up for any info you can give me.I dont have any fox shims so I need to take them apart and see what I am working with.
Let me know when you get yours done and how it is working.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatum View Post
I havent raced since Soboba were I had overheating issues.Also my shocks were beating me to death.You might be thinking about Nessy 2 at the San Felipe 250.They had a 2 hour issue at the beginning and came back and took the lead only to blow a belt 15 miles from the finish.

Right now I have what I call a stock 840 which is just a bigbore with cams.I do have the brute force gears.I am working on a bigger motor and am probably going back to short course since the desert guys dont want me in there.

I just rebuilt the King shocks on my sand car and I would think they would be similar but I am up for any info you can give me.I dont have any fox shims so I need to take them apart and see what I am working with.
Let me know when you get yours done and how it is working.
Why can't you race BITD? If we are allowed to cut the whole front/rear of the frame off and rebuild it, why are you not allowed to race? If you need a "stock frame" weld two stock pieces of square tubing under there and you have as much frame as many of the folks racing. The suspension pick up points are in the stock location right?

I have a very extensive shim kit so let me know what you have and what you need. I went from a single stack .015 six shim on compression to triple stacking the larger three with .012 and keeping the smaller 3 as .015. I will let you know how stiff it is after more testing.

How do you like the taller gears? Any clutch mods and what is your top speed? I am also running a 10:1 840 kit but I do have ported heads and +4 valves all the way around. I just made some clutch mods that should give me a top of around 80mph. We will see.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I have completely stock frame rails on my car but since it was originaly built for short course there is no room for a passenger seat.Since CORR went belly up before the car was done we just went to BAJA and raced there.

The car was killing everybody in the 2008 1000 until a bad airfilter caused the motor to suck to much dirt.We won the 500 and 1000 the next year.That is probably why they dont want us.Todd was trying to race BITD then and they wouldnt allow the car then or now.

I really havent been able to get the car out and do any top speed runs.I was doing about 68 in snowflake at altitude and with the clutch setup that was still for the stock gears I was only pulling about 7300 rpm.

Tags
bypass, fox, internal, lights, pics, shocks, silverstate