NEW 2014 Yamaha Viking
For years the industry has patiently waited for Yamaha to introduce a NEW UTV, that day has finally arrived! The Yamaha Viking is Yamaha’s latest entry into the SXS market and was created to give the hard working UTV enthusiast a well built, reliable and functional machine that can truly do-it-all! What you will not see is a new Rhino, unfortunately for many of us, the machine that started it all will now be discontinued. Yamaha has vowed to continue to service and make parts but no longer will we see a Yamaha Rhino be manufactured. RIP Rhino, you were always good to us……
Right away we know that many of you have skipped ahead and scanned through our 100+ images and have already all but shunned this new machine. It doesn’t have the 1000cc Apex Turbo motor, it doesn’t have 20″ of wheel travel, and its not available in carbon fiber, BUT this is Yamaha’s first entry BACK into the UTV market. So before you sport minded guys here on UTVUnderground.com begin to type up your rants on why you are so disappointed with Yamaha hear us out and give the Viking a chance.
Yamaha just shouldered the load of what has surely been the darkest period in powersports since the ATC debacle back in the 80′s. The lawsuits that stemmed from ambulance chasing, irresponsible and down right nasty people and their lawyers over the Rhino not only have changed our sport, it almost ruined it! While Polaris, Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and Can-Am enjoyed the freedom of development it was all being done at the expense of Yamaha dealing with hundreds, maybe thousands of frivolous claims agains the Rhino. Now, I am not trying to knock the other OEM’s for moving forward and pushing the envelope, I am just trying to shape some reasoning behind what has taken Yamaha so long to get back in the UTV game. These lawsuits all but stopped development of new UTV’s at Yamaha. I can promise you, had these lawsuits not taken place, I am sure Yamaha would still be sitting near the top of the food chain as it pertains to UTV’s in sport, recreation and utility. But as they say, it is what it is. While the industry continued to ride the wave of success surrounding this new sport that Yamaha helped kick start, Yamaha was left to defend itself and thus all but stop even thinking about anything new.
With that said, Yamaha isn’t looking for any sympathy. Meeting with their team, they couldn’t be any more excited about the brand, their new Viking, and this industry in general. While 2007 seems like eons ago, reality is, its only a few years and so for Yamaha they feel primed and ready for a comeback into the UTV market. The Viking is Yamaha’s FIRST new entry in what we hope will be many more. Its target market is the hard working utility enthusiast who enjoys a good trail ride and hunt all while getting work done with his/her machine. What the Yamaha lacks in power and suspension, they made up for in design, strength and ergonomics. They know this isn’t a XP900 or Maverick killer, nope, their saving that for later!
What the Viking is however, is a creatively designed utility machine that was created to go after the 66% of SXS utility enthusiasts. Sure, the sport market is huge for us, but as a company looking to get back into the game Yamaha made the smart choice to do so by first offering the largest segment of UTV users a machine to be excited about. At a glance its easy to see that while the Viking still retains some of the Rhino’s look and feel this machine is really completely different. Its the industry’s first true 3 seat vehicle designed to hold large adults comfortably. The seat’s have been designed for a lower CG making the Viking feel stable at speed and comfortable to drive over longer distances. The center seat is set back as to keep shoulders from bumping when having all 3 seats occupied. Wheel base rivals that of a Kawasaki T4 which in our opinion is just perfect for all sorts of riding. The dumping bed is large enough to put a full size pallet in and with a 600 lb. capacity you are able to get the big jobs done quicker.
Its with great excitement that we here at UTVUnderground.com re-introduce Yamaha back into the UTV game with the new Yamaha Viking! Embrace it, enjoy it, respect it, and prepare for the new line of Yamaha UTV’s that we can only hope begin to flow off of Yamaha’s American assembly lines! Thats right, we said American. Yamaha has relocated their UTV assembly to the United States giving them even more control over design and development! Yamaha has made it clear, their master plan is to introduce a new UTV every year for the next 5 years! So while we sit back and wait to get out and enjoy the Viking out on the trails, we will also sit and wait patiently to see what else Yamaha has up their sleeve for us in the near future!!!
Words by: Joey DiGiovanni // UTVUnderground.com
The 2014 Yamaha Viking 4×4 EPS
The all-new Viking is ready to conquer whatever comes its way with our most powerful 686cc, liquid- cooled, fuel injected, SOHC power plant. This new engine delivers strong low-end acceleration and pulls hard through the rpm range to deliver excellent power delivery for getting the job done or when hitting the trails.
The Viking features a large-capacity air intake system that improves overall engine performance. The air cleaner box is accessible from inside the cabin for improved serviceability.
Ultramatic® transmission with dual-range (Hi/Lo) drive and reverse is the most advanced drive system available. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and uses a sprag clutch for all-wheel downhill engine braking in 4WD mode and reverse.
Industry-exclusive three-position On-Command® 4WD system lets you dial between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD.
This true 3-passenger machine achieves driver and passenger comfort with a handhold, padded head rests, and 3-point seat belts for all riders. The superior seating position, adjustable driver’s seat, and the middle seat set back 5 degrees, provide unmatched comfort that all riders will appreciate. Yamaha’s proven electric power steering technology further reduces fatigue and strain on the driver.
The chassis design includes a convenient pass-through floor for greater ease of on-board movement, making it possible to enter and exit the vehicle from either side. The rear cargo bed is made of steel and is designed for maximum load capacity.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
All new for 2014:
• The Viking is equipped with Yamaha’s most powerful 686cc engine with a broad, usable powerband. Four-valve head with 10.0:1 compression delivers optimum torque for virtually any workload, and up to a 30% gain in fuel efficiency.
• Electronic fuel injection ensures peak performance in nearly all conditions and elevations, along with instantaneous cold starts.
• Engine braking performance is provided across the entire speed range.
• Large-capacity air intake system contributes to the engine’s overall power development.
• New air injection system burns the un-combusted elements in the exhaust, resulting in even further reduced emissions.
• Specially designed drive system air intake helps prevent over- heating and assists in keeping water and debris from entering the drive case.
• Convenient dash-mounted gated shift lever (L/H/N/R) provides simple Ultramatic transmission operation.
• Yamaha’s proven electric power steering system is available on the Viking for excellent handling over all kinds of terrain.
• 11.8-inch ground clearance delivers maximum underbelly protec- tion while enhancing terrainability.
• Large diameter front and rear wheel disc brakes provide unsur- passed stopping power, and the dash-mounted parking brake is simple and convenient to use.
• Standard center-mounted, heavy-duty 2-inch receiver-style hitch can tow up to 1500 pounds.
• Tough, rotomolded doors help keep mud, water and dirt on the trail where they belong.
• Stamped steel dump bed is rated to haul 600 pounds of gear, with two simple, yet proven latching levers on the left and right for maximum durability. In the bed are four standard tie-down hooks to help make sure cargo is strapped down securely.
• Cargo bed can be unlatched and tilted from either side when needed for ease of unloading cargo.
• The engine is located under the cargo bed and can be easily accessed when the bed is lifted.
• The seat layout is comfortable and versatile for three people. Padded head rests are included and the middle seat is set back for both driver and passenger comfort. The pass-through floor provides on-board ease of movement for getting in and out of the vehicle from either side.
• Digital instrument panel boasts multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge.
• Steel skid plate under the frame provides protection from rocks and ruts and helps prevent the Viking from getting stuck.
• Center hood access for battery and other electrical components ease maintenance.
• Latching glove box is included to store smaller items such as cell phones, wallets, etc.
• Dash-mounted parking brake for driver convenience.
• The Viking width is sized to help minimize row crop damage.
• The driver’s seat and passenger handhold are adjustable to maximize comfort and to accommodate the widest range of appropriatedly sized operators and passengers.
• Equipped with four in-dash cup holders for passenger comfort.
• Large, 9.7-gallon fuel tank allows for long rides.
• Under-seat, tool-free air filter is a snap to service
• Proudly built Real World Tough and assembled in Newnan, GA, U.S.A.
MODEL – YXM700PEG; YXM700PER; YXM700PEL; YXM700PHEH
ENGINE TYPE – 686cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; SOHC, 4 valves
BORE & STROKE – 102.0 x 84.0mm
COMPRESSION RATIO – 10.0:1
FUEL DELIVERY – Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI)
IGNITION – TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
STARTING SYSTEM – Electric
TRANSMISSION – Yamaha Ultramatic V-belt with all-wheel engine braking; L, H, N, R
DRIVE TRAIN – Yamaha On-Command pushbutton; 3-way locking differential; 2WD, 4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
SUSPENSION/FRONT – Independent double wishbone; 8.1-in travel
SUSPENSION/REAR – Independent double wishbone;8.1-in travel
BRAKES FRONT/REAR – Dual hydraulic disc
TIRE/FRONT – AT25 x 8-12
TIRE/REAR – AT25 x 10-12
LxWxH – 122.0 x 61.8 x 74.1 in 84.1 in
TURNING RADIUS – 177.56 in
GROUND CLEARANCE – 11.8 in
FUEL CAPACITY – 9.7 gal
*WET WEIGHT – 1342 lb
BED CAPACITY – 600 lb
TOW CAPACITY – 1500 lb
INSTRUMENTATION – Digital instrument panel boasts multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odom- eter, dual tripmeter, hour meter, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge
COLOR – Hunter Green; Red; Steel Blue; Realtree® AP® HD
* Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
Always wear your seat belt, helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. N/A – Information not available at press time.
2014 Yamaha Viking
|Viking EPS Camo (with suntop)||
|Viking EPS Red and Hunter Green (with suntop)||
|Viking EPS Steel Blue||
|Viking Camo (with suntop)||
|Viking Red and Hunter Green (with suntop)||
|Viking Steel Blue||
READ OUR FULL RIDE REVIEW BY CLICKING HERE