Pure sport guys, you can click off if all you want to read about is Kawasaki’s new RZR killer because you are not going to read about it here. Now that we got that out of the way, we are stoked to introduce everyone to the all new 2015 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT utility SXS. Why a new Mule? Well because Kawasaki, much like Yamaha, Honda, and even Polaris recognize the large consumer base wanting and buying newer, more advanced work vehicles that can double as fun, smooth riding trail vehicles. The Mule Pro-FXT is not your grandpas 1988 Mule. This sucker is as much of a modern UTV as anything else on the market and we can say that with a strait face and with confidence. Now don’t get us wrong, we aren’t saying that you may like it more than a Ranger Crew or a Honda Pioneer, but I will tell you this, if you are in the market for a true dual usage utility UTV then you owe it to yourself to check out the new 2015 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT.
Upon seeing the Mule, and probably like majority of you seeing it here today for the first time, I was skeptical as to how different it really is then the traditional Kawasaki Mule of old. Of course the new doors and tires caught my attention but then as I was able to get my hands on the machine and really start inspecting I began to find features that really stood out. The first and most obvious is the collapsing back seat which can take this machine from being a true 6 seater with a good size bed to a 3 seater with a massive bed! After a quick demonstration of how to retract and expand the rear seating area it was easy to do by myself and within a matter of seconds. From there we lifted the strong steel constructed bed and exposed the all new 812cc 3-Cylinder engine that puts out a strong 48 ft-lbs of torque. Its a similar engine that to what you will find in the John Deere Gator 825i RSX. You aren’t going to win any drag races but you sure as heck can haul and tow, matter of fact this Mule will pull up to 2000 lbs!
Driving the new Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT was surprisingly enjoyable. While I would prefer to ditch the front bench and center seat area all together and instead have 2 true buckets, the bench in the Mule is not bad and the new adjustable steering column made getting comfortable in the Mule ergonomically enjoyable. Acceleration is smooth, the peddle and CVT trans have no jerky-ness to it and braking even under load was really good. You’re going to have to work at spinning the tires in the corner, and “flicking” it like a Pro-2 truck racer just isn’t going to happen without some help from an icy road. But what this machine lacks in quickness it makes up for in strength and durability.
I was fortunate enough to see the Mule Pro-FXT rolling through the assembly line and one thing you can’t deny is that Kawasaki quality is definitely ranking amongst the highest. The chassis just looks beefy and weighing in at over 1900 lbs wet this thing better be strong! Kawasaki Strong is what they call their lineup and it certainly holds up to that marketing term which graces all of their UTVs brochures. The machines are built from scratch right here in the good ol’ USA and Kawasaki utilizes some of the most highly advanced manufacturing tools and techniques to build these products into long lasting and reliable off-road capable vehicles.
While I like most want and would love to see a Kawasaki sport Teryx for 2015, after seeing and driving the new Mule I am content for the time being. I understand their approach and the market they are trying to serve. Another thing I picked up on while roaming the massive 2.2 Million Sq.Ft. plant in Nebraska was that if Kawasaki wanted to play ball in the sport markets court, they could do so with ease. They have the facility, staff and knowledge to do and build anything they want! Did you know that Kawasaki builds train cars? Massive cargo ships? Bullet trains? Front Loaders? Supply steel wheels in massive quantity to Polaris and Yamaha? Kawasaki is so much more than the Teryx or Mule or Jet-Ski. They are an iconic brand that has been building amazing machines for 40 years right here in the USA!
It was a pleasure to learn about the new Mule Pro-FXT, the history of Kawasaki and meet some of the great people in the Lincoln, NE plant. I know there are going to be a lot of happy customers who buy and use this new Mule platform for many years to come.
2015 KAWASAKI MULE™ PRO-FXT™
The new Kawasaki Side x Side is capable and comfortable, ready for adventure or your toughest jobs
The all-new “King of Mules” is the 2015 Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT™. This highly capable unit mixes Side x Side versatility with class-leading torque, making it the fastest and most powerful MULE ever. It also has new configurable Trans Cab seating for three or six passengers and a standard Kawasaki STRONG three-year warranty, along with more comfort and convenience features than ever before.
The Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT is a leader in torque with a new 812cc, three-cylinder engine that produces a stump-pulling 48 ft-lb(2) and is mated to a specially tuned Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). In addition, the MULE PRO-FXT has a short overall length and wheelbase, making it more maneuverable than the competition. This new chassis delivers a tight turning radius, large bed capacity and outstanding towing ability. With its roomy interior and Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS), the MULE PRO-FXT will keep passengers secure and comfortable on the farm, worksite or trail.
SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE 2015 KAWASAKI MULE™ PRO-FXT™
- Class-leading 48 ft-lb(2) of torque from new 812cc three-cylinder fuel injected engine
- Independent front and rear suspension, disc brakes, CVT, Electric Power Steering
- Short wheelbase and overall length
- Haul up to 1000 lb (where permitted by state law) in steel cargo bed
- Tow up to 2000 lb (where permitted by state law) with 2” receiver hitch (using optional draw bar)
- Trans Cab allows one person to quickly convert from three- to six-seat capacity
- Cockpit features tilt steering (except non-EPS model), bench seat, multi-function LCD display and multiple 12V outlets powered by high-output alternator
- ROPS-certified Roll Over Protective Structure and full doors
- Non-EPS, EPS, EPS LE and CAMO models available
- A vast range of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories available from launch
- Kawasaki STRONG Three-Year Warranty
The MULE PRO-FXT is the first to lead the charge as Kawasaki continues to develop its existing and future models in the Side x Side market and grow its US manufacturing plant in Lincoln, Nebraska. The company is also celebrating 40 years of history and the very first
Side x Side on the market. These latest developments ensure the MULE continues to be Kawasaki STRONG and recognized as the market leader.
ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
The strength of the Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT starts with 48 ft-lb(2) of torque from its new 812cc, three-cylinder engine that has been tuned to deliver optimum performance throughout the rev range. What’s more, this is the most powerful and fastest MULE ever!
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) helps ensure the motor receives crisp and clean fuel delivery from its large 7.9-gallon fuel tank. This gives the new MULE PRO-FXT extended range for all-day adventures or a full day at work.
Transferring the engine’s performance to the ground is a specially tuned CVT transmission that was designed for the impressive 48 ft-lb(2) of torque and also provides natural engine braking to help when descending slopes. It delivers the low-range pulling power Side x Side owners expect.
The new CVT is combined with an electrically selectable 2WD/4WD system that has a dual-mode rear differential. Convenient dash-mounted switches allow the driver to instantly engage the systems giving full control over the 4WD and the locking rear differential.
The dual mode on the differential allows it to be fully locked for maximum traction, but it will minimize its impact on the terrain when unlocked.
Equipped with this system, your work can be completed quickly and efficiently, no matter the type of terrain or type of job you tackle.
This strength and versatility could only be put to use by a vehicle with the handling and maneuverability to match. The MULE PRO-FXT delivers in all the key areas with a shorter overall length (133.3”) and wheelbase (92.3”) when compared to the competition.
The EPS, EPS LE and EPS CAMO models of the MULE PRO-FXT Side x Side take full advantage of speed-sensitive Electric Power Steering (EPS), which helps the driver enjoy a tight turning radius of just 16ft. In addition, less steering effort is felt whether you are creeping along or throttling down the trail.
Extra ground clearance (10.2”) gives the driver confidence that the lower chassis will clear rocks and large obstacles, while the EPS has been calibrated to reduce kickback when traversing rough terrain.
The front and rear independent suspension travel is a generous 8.7” (left rear is 8.5”) thanks, in part, to the twin-tube, preload-adjustable shocks found at each corner.
The MULE’s durable A-arm design utilizes large diameter tubing, with rubber bushings at the attachment points. This helps to further isolate some of the steering kickback while providing fewer parts to wear out. As a result, the Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT will outlast and outperform the competition, just as the rest of the MULE lineup has consistently done over the years.
It also exploits the certified Roll Over Protective Structure that increases the stiffness of the entire chassis, giving the driver superior handling and driving characteristics, while also ensuring long-lasting durability and occupant security.
The new comfort and convenience features of the MULE PRO-FXT give the interior a premium feel. The cockpit was designed for drivers who need to travel efficiently with passengers, along with all their necessary gear and accessories. Owners will appreciate the thoughtful design, which is apparent as soon as you sit on the new front and rear bench seats that each seat three people and provide plenty of comfort for all the occupants. The seating also allows the passengers to easily move around the spacious cabin.
All passengers are secured in the MULE PRO-FXT Side x Side by three-point harnesses and four automotive-style doors as standard. These increase protection for the occupants both in terms of safety and from the outdoor elements. The doors are also far easier to use than nets, making the occupants’ experience significantly more enjoyable with the MULE PRO-FXT.
For the driver’s convenience there is a tilt-adjustable (except Non-EPS models), thick grip steering wheel, which provides up to 40-degrees of adjustment. Or it can be tilted out of the way to facilitate access to the cabin. All passengers have secure handholds throughout.
Occupants will appreciate the new storage space under the front seat. This space allows users to store their equipment and gear in the optional Kawasaki Genuine Accessories bins. In addition, there is a handy glovebox as well as three dashboard pockets – with the center pocket large enough to accommodate the Kawasaki Genuine Accessories audio system – and two cupholders built into the bodywork in front of the dashboard.
The final interior feature is an all-new multi-function LCD instrument cluster. It provides a large, intuitive, easy-to-read display that includes an array of information from speedometer, odometer and hour meter to fuel gauge, dual trip meters, 2WD/4WD indicators, clock and much more to keep the driver fully informed at a glance.
TRANS CAB FEATURE
One of the standout features of the new Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT has to be its all-new Trans Cab seating arrangement. It is a 1:1:1 system that allows one person to convert the seating with one trip around the vehicle in less than one minute. In fact, one person can easily convert the comfortable three-passenger machine into a spacious six-passenger workhorse quickly and without tools.
To convert from 6-passenger to 3-passenger mode, you simply unlatch the rear seat and fold it away, slide the cargo wall forward, lower the cargo wall struts and re-attach the seat latches.
With this Trans Cab feature, the cargo bed length is easily increased from 22” in the six-passenger configuration, to a whopping 42.7” in the three-passenger layout. That’s significantly more storage space and a greater cargo load capacity for the times when it is more important to haul equipment than your closest friends.
Of course, the width of the steel bed does not change in either configuration. It measures a cavernous 53.7”, which should accommodate everything from the largest loads to items like hay bales. And, furthermore, there are integrated steel cargo bed rails and plenty of Kawasaki Genuine Accessories to ensure your load is firmly secured. So whether you’re on the work site and need extra cargo capacity, or heading to the campsite with five friends and family, the flexible seating and storage options of the Trans Cab on the MULE PRO-FXT means you will get the job done, no matter what the day brings.
The Trans Cab system further reinforces the versatility of the MULE PRO-FXT, confirming it is the most practical vehicle in its class.
Passengers can power their accessories during all-day adventures thanks to a multitude of built-in 12-volt outlets. These are powered by the high-output alternator, which delivers an incredible 60.8 amps at 2,000rpm (with the headlights on).
Each passenger can take advantage of the additional outlets to power everything from phones and tablets to GPS devices and other technology you can’t be without.
All MULE PRO-FXT models include two 12V power outlets up front that will supply up to 120 watts, while the LE and CAMO models provide an additional two outlets in the rear of the vehicle. This should give occupants the opportunity to charge their favorite devices.
The same high-power alternator is also responsible for providing excellent visibility after dark and in poor weather conditions by powering the Hi/Low halogen headlights that come as standard equipment to match the performance of the “King of Mules.” Additionally, the LE and CAMO models in the MULE PRO-FXT range get high-intensity, auxiliary LED headlights for even greater illumination (available as accessories on other models).
LED lights are specified on most high-end machinery for their extremely bright output, although Kawasaki’s engineers were also interested in the extended durability and low current draw that LEDs offer. So for the brand new MULE PRO-FXT, it was only natural that top-of-the-line LED products would be used for this top-of-the-line application.
MULE: A WORK HORSE
With a maximum load capacity of 1000 lb (in three-passenger mode, where permissible according to state law), the ultra-durable steel cargo bed on the MULE PRO-FXT can accommodate all your equipment, personal gear and essential items. The tilt bed features a hydraulic assist and incorporates integrated steel cargo bed rails to allow tie-downs and genuine Kawasaki-specific accessories to be quickly deployed. Furthermore, integrated cargo dividers mean you can quickly separate your tools and personal gear.
Enhancing the carrying capacity of the MULE PRO-FXT is an integrated 2” hitch receiver. When equipped with an optional draw bar, it is able to tow a substantial 2000 lb load (where permissible according to state law) with the pickup truck-style receiver, giving the new Kawasaki the ultimate crossover capability.
In order to successfully haul such large loads, hydraulic disc brakes use 212mm rotors on all four corners. They combine with a dependable engine braking system to produce effective stopping power anytime, anywhere.
Dual-piston calipers in the front, and single-piston calipers in the rear, give the driver strong yet progressive stopping power. An integrated mechanical rear parking brake was also included. Utilizing the braking system, it keeps the MULE PRO-FXT securely in place when stopped.
ONE MULE, FOUR MODELS
The MULE PRO-FXT comes in four models, each one packed with a host of Kawasaki STRONG features.
The Non-EPS model comes standard with steel wheels and two DC outlets in the cab. It is available in the Super Black finish.
The second variation in the PRO-FXT lineup is the EPS model. This comes standard with the same amenities as the Non-EPS but with the addition of Electric Power Steering (EPS) and a tilt steering wheel. This model is available in Timberline Green and Super Black with a contrasting graphic along the doors and cargo bed.
Next in the range is the desirable EPS LE. This variation comes standard with a host of additional upgrades over the EPS model, including LED headlights, aluminum wheels, a composite sun top and two additional DC outlets for rear-seat passengers. Color options are Timberline Green and Dark Royal Red with a contrasting graphic along the doors and cargo bed.
Last, but certainly not least, the MULE PRO-FXT is available with Realtree Xtra Green Camo, which gives the avid hunter the ultimate color scheme for any adventure. The Camo model includes EPS and tilt steering function. In addition, LED headlights and four DC outlets round out the Camo package.
Owners of the new Kawasaki MULE PRO-FXT will enjoy the opportunity to accessorize, colorize, and specialize the vehicle to accentuate their individual style.
Owners wishing to accessorize their vehicle can take advantage of more than 60 Kawasaki Genuine Accessories, including three special packages that will be available for the MULE PRO-FXT. Owners might like to obtain a Kawasaki-certified WARN® winch package, for example. Or you could opt for a WARN® ProVantage™ Plow System to tackle winter storms. In that case, you might also choose to provide extra protection for the vehicle, equipping it with both skid plates and brush guards.
To protect the occupants from the elements, Kawasaki offers everything from hard and soft roofs, to full and half windshields as well as hard or soft cabin enclosures and doors. And all these Kawasaki Genuine Accessories were developed alongside the vehicle, for the perfect installation, fit and finish.
MULE PRO-FXT owners can also choose from accessories such as a half windshield, audio system, heater, bed extender, cargo divider, dual battery kit and so much more.
As an added bonus, the industry-leading Kawasaki STRONG Three-Year Warranty remains intact after the purchase and installation of any of these accessories, which were all developed and tested along with the machine itself.
Consumers interested to see how their new MULE PRO-FXT will look with Kawasaki Genuine Accessories in place will now be able to build their vehicle online, adding their favorite accessories and seeing them in place. They then have the opportunity to print their custom build list and take it to their local Kawasaki dealer to purchase the exact vehicle specification they designed. Visit www.kawasaki.com for full details.
KAWASAKI STRONG THREE-YEAR WARRANTY
Customers can take pride in the knowledge that the new MULE PRO-FXT is assembled from foreign and domestic components right here in America at Kawasaki’s manufacturing facility in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Completing the appeal of the MULE PRO-FXT is Kawasaki’s promise to keep you running Strong with our standard Kawasaki STRONG Three-Year Warranty. We don’t just want you to enjoy the “King of Mules,” we want you to live the MULE lifestyle and be inspired by its heritage: a heritage of powerful, durable, fun-to-drive vehicles.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and Jet Ski® watercraft through a network of almost 1,200 independent retailers, with close to an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with approximately 300 of them located at KMC’s Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. The Kawasaki brand is synonymous with powerful, stylish and category-leading vehicles. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of powersports products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
2015 Kawasaki MULE™ PRO-FXT™
Features and Benefits
At a glance
- New three-cylinder engine provides double the power and higher top-speed over other MULE Side x Side vehicles
- Easy 1:1:1 Trans Cab mechanism (1 person, 1 round trip, less than 1 minute) changes from 3- to 6-person seating configuration in one minute or less
- Electric Power Steering (EPS) with tilt steering wheel fitted to most models
- Four standard doors and three-point seatbelts
- Four-wheel disc brakes
- Fully automatic transmission with selectable two- or four-wheel drive
- Legendary Kawasaki MULE durability and dependability
- Standard Kawasaki STRONG 3-Year Warranty
Trans Cab Mechanism is industry exclusive
- Easily transform the MULE PRO-FXT from three- to six-passenger configuration
- 1:1:1 ratio; 1 person, 1 round trip, and 1 minute to convert from three- to six- passenger mode
- Can be transformed from a six-passenger vehicle to a three-passenger off-road
- Side x Side with an expanded cargo bed to carry larger payloads – carrying 350 lb with six passengers, or up to 1000 lb with three passengers, where permissible by state law
- Rear bench seat has elevated stadium position for an improved view, retractable seatbelts and grab handles
- Steel cargo bed tilts for convenient engine access
- The tailgate and secure latch locking mechanism reduce vibration and noise, adding durability
Liquid Cooled, Three-cylinder Engine
- Industrial-strength four-stroke, 812cc engine produces exceptional torque from three-cylinder layout
- Modern four-stroke design for efficient running and fuel economy
- Large-capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
- Rubber engine mounts reduce vibration, noise and wear, to maximize operational comfort and minimize fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®)
- Computer-controlled Digital Fuel Injection (DFI) system automatically compensates for temperature and altitude, to ensure the engine runs smoothly in any environment
- Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a manual choke, allowing the operator to drive away immediately after a cold engine start
- Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth, efficient operation
- Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
- DFI precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
- Positive crankcase ventilation system sends blow-by gases to the intake tract to be burned in the engine
- Muffler features a US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
- Fully automatic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) features forward high and low as well as reverse. It keeps the engine in the right operating RPM at a variety of vehicle speeds, loads or terrain
- The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
- Tuned to accommodate higher loads
- Tuned to provide engine braking for driver reassurance when descending slopes
- N7-grade CVT belt adds durability
Four-Wheel Drive with Two-Speed Transfer Case
- Selectable four-wheel drive gives the operator traction options
- Shift to four-wheel drive and low-range for maximum traction in adverse conditions, or select two-wheel drive and high-range for increased fuel economy
Dual Mode Differential
- Dual-mode rear differential can be locked for extra pulling power and maximum traction, or unlocked when negotiating delicate terrain
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- The EPS system reduces steering effort, especially at low speeds when turning effort is greatest
- The electric motor’s inertia significantly reduces bump steer and kickback to the steering wheel caused by shocks to the wheels for a more comfortable and controlled ride
- Input from vehicle speed and torque sensors determines the amount of steering assistance required
- No power steering pump means no power loss from the engine
- EPS only operates when the engine is running to prevent battery drain
Front and Rear Independent Suspension
- Front and rear suspension offers up 8.7” of travel for smooth operation and optimum work efficiency
- A-arm design gives the vehicle ample ground clearance (10.2”)
Four-Wheel Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Four-Wheel hydraulic disc brakes provide confident stopping power
- 212mm disc brakes front and rear give the driver confidence in a variety of terrains
- Towing and hauling can also be undertaken with more confidence in the PRO-FXT because the hydraulic disc brakes provide confidence-inspiring stopping power
Wheels and Tires
- 26” Duro tires provide great traction and extra ground clearance in a variety of terrain
- Duro tires offer significant puncture resistance when tackling the toughest tasks
- Steel wheels are standard
- 12” six-spoke cast aluminum wheels are standard on the PRO-FXT LE model
Rugged and Capable
- Rugged, modern styling is available in four different color schemes
- 2” receiver hitch allows towing of up to 2000 lb with optional draw bar
- Durable bodywork features modern, bold styling
- Strong tubular steel front guard improves durability and helps protect the nose from brush, trail debris and minor impacts
- Certified Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS)
- Durable chassis can be enhanced with up to 60 Kawasaki Genuine Accessories
- Digital Instrument cluster allows the driver to keep an eye on the most important information – speedometer, odometer, hour meter, fuel gauge, dual trip meters, 2WD/4WD indicators, clock and much more
- High-capacity generator gives passengers in the PRO-FXT superior charging output when on the trail. 60.8 amps at 2,000rpm is enough power to charge most popular portable devices. And the LE and Camo models include an additional two power outlets for rear passengers
- Four automotive-style doors provide extra protection for the occupants from the outdoor elements
- Storage space under the front seat allows user to store equipment and gear in the optional Kawasaki Genuine Accessory storage bin
- Handy glovebox and three dashboard pockets give users ample storage space
- Three-point seatbelts are standard for all six passengers
- Front and rear bench seats have thick cushions to provide all occupants with support and comfort when traversing trails or working on an important project
60 Kawasaki Genuine Accessories available
- Customers can choose from up to 60 Kawasaki Genuine Accessories from launch
- The accessories were made specifically for the PRO-FXT, ensuring the very best fit and finish
- All 60 accessories maintain the Kawasaki STRONG 3-Year Warranty
Kawasaki STRONG 3-Year Warranty
- The MULE PRO-FXT comes standard with the Kawasaki STRONG 3-Year Warranty for total peace of mind