Suggestions On a New SxS

TheyCallMeB

Mar 9, 2013
Hey everyone. I have a question that I'm sure has been asked a 100 times on here but I figured I'd ask it one more time. I'm looking to purchase my first sxs. I've had my share of quads and bikes in the past but 3 knee surgeries has me thinking twice about going down that road again. I'm looking for a sport model that will be reliable and safe first and foremost since my little boy will be with me most of the time. Im on the east coast so most of my riding will be in the woods. I've looked at the xp900 and the maverick and the maverick looked like it was built more solidly. I haven't seen the wildcat yet. I figured I'd ask this question here in a forum that wasn't dedicated to one brand thinking I might get less biased feedback. Thanks in advanced for any opinions/feedback.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
All three are good...all three have their quirks. As long as you are fairly handy with tools and can do basic maintenance all three are about equal. They all require a good once over after rides for loose bolts or cracked welds and what not. The XP is much easier to find parts for if something breaks and you want it fixed that day or get custom items for as the market is saturated. That being said, I have owned a Rhino and it was a solid ride that needed more power and suspension which can cost easily 6k to get to perform as well as a stock RZR-S and they have issues with tie rods, fuel filters and throwing rods through the case... I also had a RZR-S and it was awesome...I would say in this market a used or even new RZR-S is the best bang for buck. I recently picked up a RZR-XP and can't give you much feedback yet. I would strongly look at a S model RZR unless you plan on racing.

Last edited:

T.Rhino

Mar 8, 2013
I would have to agree with Hot Rod on this one with just a little work you would be amazed what James can get out of this motors it's pretty amazing really you can go from mild to wild it's all in what you want.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I have a Maverick, and I love it! It's a fair amount faster than the xp. So far, the only weak spot is the primary sheave is two pieces, and might need to be replaced by an aftermarket one. It's definitely built better than the xp.

Hump

Mar 9, 2013
I had a rhino, then a 2010 rzr s. Sold the rzr and got a new rhino. With a few mods rhinos run really well on the trails around here. Nothing wrong with the machines you are looking at, but the rhinos hold up to these rough rocky trails like no other. Bushings, ball joints, etc last a really long time. I can't speak for the machines you listed, but I know the rzr s required alot of maintenance on the suspension parts to keep going. It was a fun machine though.

Brian lee Rhino450

Mar 7, 2013
Tuscola tx. BFE
My wife beats the hell out of our rhino and the only thing i have had to do is buy shocks for the front. They seem solid as hell to me. Its our first SXS and we r very happy with it

BENZITO

hi guys !
Jan 19, 2009
phx, az
get a maverick , spare belt, extra tie rod and your set ! ,

super fast super nimble fun as hell to drive , gives u a rush and a huge smile !

if your not looking for speed and want a 2 seater , rhino , if u want 4 seater t-rex !

yamaha is coming out with something in june !

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
I'm also on the east coast and you almost have to rule out the Maverick, XP and Wildcat due to the width. I'm at 55" wide and often times wish I was less. East coast woods riding can't be done with machines that are 64" wide. The guys suggesting these are most likely riding in the desert.

I rode with a guy we met at a gas station in a brand new Wildcat that he hauled up from Mass and we made it less than a mile before he had to turn around because he couldn't make it through a trailhead entrance.

The best bike for the riding I do is a Rhino or a Teryx. I personally like the Rhino better because it is 1000 times easier to work on. With that said, I would NEVER buy a brand new Rhino. They are listed at $12,500 but haven't changed since 2008. Go get yourself a nice clean used rhino for under $10,000. Then take the $10,000 you just saved from buying a XP, Maverick, or Wildcat and have someone build you a bad ass motor...you'll still have $7000 left. Now you have enough to go buy a second Rhino.

flimmy

Mar 8, 2013
TheyCallMeB , I'd say look at the Rhino's. Now I'm a little biased simce I have one but I have looked at the Wildcat and they seem WAY to long and wide to ride the woods here on the east coast. The 900 looked a little wide but I do see them on some of the trails. A good used (newer) Rhino with a JBS sheave and good shocks and you will be really happy. I can't see you using the higher top speed in the wood with your son with you. The reliabily of the Rhino is second to non. GET a WINICH lol its not fun getting stuck all alone. The Superwinch Terra 45 is a good winch and can be founs on Amazon cheap

Kenny G

Mar 7, 2013
Cowboy State / Wyoming
I've been rollin an old turd Rhino (2006). She's not the fastest bike on the mountain but head her down some bad-ars trails and she perform or out perform your BIG $$$$$ machines. I've never been left stranded and maintance is minimum. With the extra $$$ on purchase price you can buy something nice for the wife..lol...
Let-Em Buck!! :cool:

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
The maverick out of the box i believe is the best built. The cage looks like it would hold up as well.. Polaris is good but you need to sink some money in one to get rid of weak links and a good cage. Dont have any experience with the wildcat...

If you got the money go for the mav. if you want to build rather than buy get a old rhino and souper up

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
Not sure what's wrong with your Rhino but I keep up with an 800 with less than $300 invested in clutch and CDI....nothing else. Time to wake your Rhino up buddy.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Not sure what's wrong with your Rhino but I keep up with an 800 with less than $300 invested in clutch and CDI....nothing else. Time to wake your Rhino up buddy.
Nothing wrong with my Rhino, But would like to see some video of your Modified Rhino spanking a completely stock Rzr 570 in say a 100 yrd. drag race.:eek:

Got any??

Pokahpolice

Sep 4, 2011
Standish, Maine
Nothing wrong with my Rhino, But would like to see some video of your Modified Rhino spanking a completely stock Rzr 570 in say a 100 yrd. drag race.:eek:

Got any??
Nope, I don't have a video of a brown dog either but they exist.

I never claimed my Rhino would spank anything. I just stated that I keep up with a RZR 800. I have no experience with a RZR 570 but I have seen a video of a 570 drag a RZR 800 S and they were neck and neck. A guy I ride with regularly has a RZR 800 LE and I've dragged him countless times. I lose every time but keep up. His top speed is 62mph and mine is 60mph. When we hit the trails I smoke him....although he claims it's because he doesn't beat his machine and I do...I tend to agree, he drives like a pussy

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Nope, I don't have a video of a brown dog either but they exist.

I never claimed my Rhino would spank anything. I just stated that I keep up with a RZR 800. I have no experience with a RZR 570 but I have seen a video of a 570 drag a RZR 800 S and they were neck and neck. A guy I ride with regularly has a RZR 800 LE and I've dragged him countless times. I lose every time but keep up. His top speed is 62mph and mine is 60mph. When we hit the trails I smoke him....although he claims it's because he doesn't beat his machine and I do...I tend to agree, he drives like a pussy
LMAO! Simi Dude - you have been converted to a RZR guy through and through!

To the OP - The Rhino is still a very good machine in technical trail riding and regular trails as is the Teyrx. They will not be the fatested, but they will get you to where you want to go.

The newer machines offer better suspension and overall a better ride quality. If the trails you ride are wide enough for a 64" machine, then all the new SXSs will work. The Maverick, XP and Wildcat are good machines and all have their issues. Just have to pick one that will suit your riding style.

If you don't need the latest machine, then I would look for a good used Rhino or Teyrx or even a used RZR or RZR-S. Tons of aftermarket support.

Next time you go to your local riding spot look around and see what other people are driving. that will give you an idea of what works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000