Tonka Gas Tank

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
So my rear plastic gas tank has a leak ;-(

Need a new steel one or if some one know how to fix the plastic one for good ;-)

Remember it a 1975 Ford 4x4 HighBoy the frame rail are only around 27" clear
any regular F series 1975 Truck gas tank will NOT fit ;-(

Don't know where this one came from as it came with the Truck

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
Is it a hole or a small crack? A good plastic epoxy should work just fine:D
It is leaking in two places on side at seam and at top cant see the top one but it look like pin holes or bigger ;-)

Tank is made of some type of plastic wax type of material, I guess the best think to do is to remove it 1st and see what we are working with ;-)

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I'm with George (not that way), there are some awesome plastic epoxies out there. You can get some good ones as easily as at Home Depot. I'd bet there is something that will stand up to gasoline.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
I'm with George (not that way), there are some awesome plastic epoxies out there. You can get some good ones as easily as at Home Depot. I'd bet there is something that will stand up to gasoline.
I have used a gas tank repair compound first time it lasted a year and now it,s been 3 yrs and holding strong . Mt repair was 3/8 drill bite size :eek:. It's all in the prepping and Im pretty sure I didn't do a good job the first time . Good luck Papie

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
And hope it doesn't spring another leak...anyone down there that could build you a nice big 40+ gallon tank?

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Ummmm, you're going to have to fab a little something...:D I think they also sell sending units, but for the fill, well you'll probably have to do something special. You should give them a call,maybe they can do something for you?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
That fuel tank sort of looks like a Ford Bronco fuel tank. I know several people who had done conversions like that for their prerunners. The Bronco tank mounts in the rear of the frame vs the side like a truck and they hold way more fuel. Are there any part markings or identification marks on the tank? That would give you a good start as to what it was made for and you could narrow your search from there.

Check LCM Truck Parts. Their site is pretty good with pictures. They dont show dimensions, but if you were to call them I would think they could get you that info.

Here is an example of a Bronco tank for the 1978-79 model.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/full.aspx?Page=42

Cisco Kid

Apr 17, 2009
That fuel tank sort of looks like a Ford Bronco fuel tank. I know several people who had done conversions like that for their prerunners. The Bronco tank mounts in the rear of the frame vs the side like a truck and they hold way more fuel. Are there any part markings or identification marks on the tank? That would give you a good start as to what it was made for and you could narrow your search from there.

Check LCM Truck Parts. Their site is pretty good with pictures. They dont show dimensions, but if you were to call them I would think they could get you that info.

Here is an example of a Bronco tank for the 1978-79 model.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/full.aspx?Page=42
Thank You and I did try that one but the dim's are:
Fuel Tank
NEW 1978 78 FORD BRONCO FUEL TANK GAS TANK ON SALE
Notes: Description--Fuel Tank
Height--22.750 IN
Length--32.380 IN
Weight--25.000 LBS
Width--16.250 IN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1978-78-FORD-BRONCO-FUEL-TANK-GAS-TANK-ON-SALE-/380829585457

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000