What's next?

directdrive

For The Race
Dec 13, 2009
Would be nice to have some more get up and go,like to have the same performance love that the sled guys get.sure sucks to pull up to the hill in your new $20+ grand stock rzr xp1k and get smoked by a scrambler. LOL. A push past the 1000cc mark or ? ,especially with the extra weight these things are gaining. A single seat xp1k would also be lots O fun,lighter,no passenger to hurt or listen to whine, LOL.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
Curious to hear any rumors or predictions now that we are further into the year and companies have rolled out new models..

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
Heard through the grapevine that Yamaha will debut a sport model this year and they are getting all of the finishing touches together ..

FBT

Competition between the manufacturers can only be good for us. I would like to believe that inside the R&D shops of all the players are ideas that would knock our socks off.

I think it is a dang shame that Yamaha hasn't rebounded with something befitting it's heritage in the market, but perhaps something will happen.
If something does happen I don't think it will be aimed at the edge of the sport world, but more towards the Teryx market. If they get a foot in the door with something, and the Yamaha faithful come out, then it'll be game on.

Even though I own a XP1K 2 seater, I am no flag waver for Polaris. I am happy with my machine but it could have, and (should have) been a lot more refined.
I am also sure Polaris isn't resting on their laurels, either. I doubt we will see them break the 1000cc limit, but all that room on the exhaust side of the engine seems almost a no brainer for a turbo. Since they are selling both the XP1K2 and the 4 as fast as they can build them for $20k plus there is no reason to think that adding a 6-7 lb turbo package and a refined drive wouldn't add another 10k to it...I bet they'd sell those, too. Perhaps not like the normally aspirated versions, but they would sell.
And the bar would be raised again, which we all benefit from.

The only thing that would get my interest peaked again would be a third pedal on the drivers floor and a shifter that had a real shift pattern in it. I'd love to see a 5 or 6 speed trans in a XP1k Turbo...:D
I know all the arguments about a real trans, and how theoretically a CVT is "always" on the power band, I don't give a whit. I like to be in charge of the gear selection. Even when we had the Turbo-325's in the old rails we modded the valve body to full manual. :D

98GP

Apr 25, 2012
I think a gear box would be so much more durable and better than a cvt. I would love to drive one. I think the Honda Pioneer transmission seems like a good idea too.

Has anybody seen the Oreion Sand Reeper? It has a 5spd and they say it is street legal too. IDK...
http://http://oreionmotors.com

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Some of the rumors I have been reading is that the Polaris XP900 platform is going away. The 800 engine is going away and the 900 engine will end up in the RZRS style platform. And new trail sport model will be released.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
I think a gear box would be so much more durable and better than a cvt. I would love to drive one. I think the Honda Pioneer transmission seems like a good idea too.

I beat the piss out of the pioneer and I was very impressed with the 3 speed gear box with a shaft drive ..

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
You put a gearbox in these things and people would find a way to break them. I rather replace a $200 belt versus a $2,500 transmission.

Plus I did not get a SXS to shift gears - I am lazy.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
You put a gearbox in these things and people would find a way to break them. I rather replace a $200 belt versus a $2,500 transmission.

Plus I did not get a SXS to shift gears - I am lazy.
Yep. Especially when Duning the Auto belt drives are way faster rides. A friends shop used to make 2 seater snowmobile engine long travel cars and some customers would have to have the Hyabusa motor installed cause they wanted to shift gears like it was gonna be faster. LOL. Jay would leave them in the Dust sucking sand so fast in a naturally aspirated R1 Sled motored auto that its not funny. He would lose them in no time. Lmfao . Automatic = full throttle all the time and no guessing on gears or missing a gear.
Start replacing clutches and tell me how cheap that is. Hehehe. I will stick with the rubber Band Drive.

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Sorry to jump in here but I always thought it would be cool to see the Honda Pioneer 3 speed style belt driven clutch, but have an internal wet clutch on the primary pulley, along with keeping the belt CVT. The internal clutch would be like the "Spider" automatic style dirtbike clutches. Then you could drive it in automatic when you're lazy and cruising or get the RPM's up when in turns racing or even trail riding and trying to make it up a hill, just like you would on your dirtbike, and use the clutch to keep high RPM's and crawl up hills with ease... what do you guys think? LOL pipe dreams....?

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Yep. Especially when Duning the Auto belt drives are way faster rides. A friends shop used to make 2 seater snowmobile engine long travel cars and some customers would have to have the Hyabusa motor installed cause they wanted to shift gears like it was gonna be faster. LOL. Jay would leave them in the Dust sucking sand so fast in a naturally aspirated R1 Sled motored auto that its not funny. He would lose them in no time. Lmfao . Automatic = full throttle all the time and no guessing on gears or missing a gear.

Start replacing clutches and tell me how cheap that is. Hehehe. I will stick with the rubber Band Drive.

So true!!!! I could only imagine it would be a pain on the trails too.

The only good thing about a gearbox would be 95% of the teenagers today could not drive it. They all learn how to drive with automatics.

madviking

Mar 15, 2014
Yamaha has been using a "spider" style automatic centrifugal clutch on other cvt applications for many years now, most notably the tmax 500 scooter. It is a possibility we'll see something like that on a higher hp Yamaha. I might use one on my Viking build.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
They brought back the Honda single seat Odyssey with 92 hp PP

98GP

Apr 25, 2012
This is awesome!

I hope the 5 speed paddle system catches on with other manufactures!!

I bet these Pioneer 500s will blow Polaris Ace out of the water.

Not the coolest to look at though?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000