Can Am Monster Maveric Wins Baja 500

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Who cares about all of this? Let's compare apples and apples huh? Take a "stock" Maverick and a "stock" XP-1000 and run them next to each other. Who wins then? That's all that matters, period.

Anyone can fab up an awesome machine that is halfway decent at it. Get the LT right, get the tires right, get the drivers right, get the team/pit crew right and you have a winning combination.

Out of the box Polaris dominates without a question. In a full blown race program they're all Frankenstein's and it comes down to the elements I've stated above.

I for one am glad to see the competition, it's REALLY healthy for the sport, but.... Just like Karting was "supposed" to be, it boils down to who has the $$$$$. I take my boy to race a "spec" class and these assholes pull in with a $300K trailer and $10K 2 stroke kart motors, yeah I can compete with that, NOT!!!

So if we want to continue the discussion on equal grounds, lets start comparing "bone stock" machines, not full blown race vehicles.

Let's also start collecting more than a couple of data points before we try to compile a statistic, it will be more representative of the distribution of what is really going on.

Congrats and great job to all of the winners/finishers, it is well deserved 'cause it ain't freakin easy!

Flame on!!!!!!:D

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
What about the fact that Polaris sponsors a pro-lite truck.... The ace looks like a 4wd wheelchair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a Pro-2 truck, not a Pro-Lite that they sponsor for RJ Anderson.

What does that have anything to do with this thread though? lol I guess Warlock can tell us how they use that truck to test the new 2015 parts on the XP1K!? hahahahaha

I kid I kid

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Who cares about all of this? Let's compare apples and apples huh? Take a "stock" Maverick and a "stock" XP-1000 and run them next to each other. Who wins then? That's all that matters, period.

Anyone can fab up an awesome machine that is halfway decent at it. Get the LT right, get the tires right, get the drivers right, get the team/pit crew right and you have a winning combination.

Out of the box Polaris dominates without a question. In a full blown race program they're all Frankenstein's and it comes down to the elements I've stated above.

I for one am glad to see the competition, it's REALLY healthy for the sport, but.... Just like Karting was "supposed" to be, it boils down to who has the $$$$$. I take my boy to race a "spec" class and these assholes pull in with a $300K trailer and $10K 2 stroke kart motors, yeah I can compete with that, NOT!!!

So if we want to continue the discussion on equal grounds, lets start comparing "bone stock" machines, not full blown race vehicles.

Let's also start collecting more than a couple of data points before we try to compile a statistic, it will be more representative of the distribution of what is really going on.

Congrats and great job to all of the winners/finishers, it is well deserved 'cause it ain't freakin easy!

No using logic in the thread. Lol

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com

What does that have anything to do with this thread though? lol I guess Warlock can tell us how they use that truck to test the new 2015 parts on the XP1K!? hahahahaha

I kid I kid
Haha I saw those top secret XP2k shocks getting tested on his Pro-2... ;-)

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul

Talk about Polaris love!:D Fact is, nobody races bone stock machines off of the showroom floor, so your point is kind of mute, no? And say there was a class that mandated bone stock, OEM parts(with the exception of fuel cells, seats, and other necessary safety equipment), who'd want to see a bunch of broken down cars in the way of real racing action? Even with the 10k 2-stroke motor teams, it requires that some one with the passion to excel, puts in the hours to make it all work together. If it were that easy, everyone would have their share of wins.

I also think that in side by side comparisons, not one UTV manufacturer has "domination"over the other (except for sales!). A "numbers comparison" advantage, maybe. Domination is what Geyser is to the TT class!

Also, based on what I see at the races, not just anyone who is halfway descent at fabricating can build awesome machines. Every car out there is built by at least a half-way decent fabricator, but few have the passion to tackle their own spindles, or a arms, or trailing links. It takes a seasoned fab man to asses the dynamics of, and effectively change the geometry of OEM design. Most are running over the counter upgrades and kits designed to improve performance and reliability in a multitude of environments, and over a broad range of conditions.

Put a stock Maverick next to a stock XP and who wins? Most likely the one with the best driver that's who, because the numbers are really not all that far apart!

I get it though. Polaris love! There's nothing wrong with that!

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
my T4 would be like that one dude who finished the KOH couple years ago in an old Toyota truck with stock drivetrain but larger tires, EMC class......slow, but finished! LOL....awesome stuff

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Badassmav - I hope Marc appreciates what a tremendous job you have done on his car. Between you fab/prep skills and his driving you are a great combination. A guess you can say a winning combination in Baja! :D

I hope Can Am is taking notes on what you have done to the car. As well, as what the other Can Am race teams have done.

Now start the tear down and preparing for the next race. The other teams are going to be gunning for you.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az

I kid I kid
Not Sure where Ive ever said anything about secret testing for any XP!K :rolleyes:
There should be a Stock class for the UTV guys to keep cost down and make it affordable. Just have a little slower run times, LOL.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
There should be a Stock class for the UTV guys to keep cost down and make it affordable. Just have a little slower run times, LOL.
The flip side to that coin is the cost to race in Score & BITD is not cheap and the chance of finishing with stock parts decreases immensely. If you dont have good finishing numbers the classes typically dont survive. Plus running slower in those two series will only bring more arguments on why the UTV's dont belong there. And the big factor; the long term cost to replacing the stock components after every race or two will add up, and cost you more in the long run.

This has been tried before. BITD had two Stock Production Truck classes. A Mini & Full size truck class. This class was a huge class and Ford paid out very well. This class helped develop & launched the Ford Raptor program as it was developed from the success of this class. But the two classes died off as only the teams with Manufacture support were winning, and the cost to be replacing all the stock suspension every other race was costing more then if you stepped up to faster true race truck class. Also as soon as Ford got there ROI they pulled the plug on supporting the class and that put the last nail in the coffin so to speak.

IMO there are series like PURE or MORE that are great stepping stones for a guy with a much smaller budget, who might not have the money to build & campaign a full Pro Race UTV. This is a much better option then developing another class.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
PURE AVE series that Lou runs is where you go for affordable and fairly stock UTV desert racing. SCORE Baja and BITD can be done affordably but "stock" is not what saves you in terms of cost. If anything, that costs you more in the long run. You need to strengthen these machines to hold up.

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
There will also be some D38 races coming up for SxS's that Wayne Matlock is helping coordinate. Very gentle on the rules and reasonable entry fees. Just an FYI...

Nate
Alba Racing

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley

I'll be the first to say it DOES NOT boil down to who has the most money, because that is deff not me. I work a normal 8-5:30 job at my dads auto shop and I live pay check to pay check. What it boils down to is the amount of hard work, determination, and my ability to drive that has got me to where I am now.... Money would sure help but it isn't the deal breaker IMO

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I love all this debate it keeps the title of Can Am Monster Mav Wins Baja 500 on the top. :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I'll be the first to say it DOES NOT boil down to who has the most money, because that is deff not me. I work a normal 8-5:30 job at my dads auto shop and I live pay check to pay check. What it boils down to is the amount of hard work, determination, and my ability to drive that has got me to where I am now.... Money would sure help but it isn't the deal breaker IMO[/QUO

100% correct Brandon. Racing is expensive but there is way more to it than the size of your wallet. Great job out there driving and keeping the car in one piece. I have known you can drive for a while and cant wait to see you whoop the Monster Mav.

Lol, I kid Reid and had a good time BS'n with you in contingency.

P.S. Brandon, you need to get yourself a prerunner.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I just love the sport, and happy its growing. :)

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I'll be the first to say it DOES NOT boil down to who has the most money, because that is deff not me. I work a normal 8-5:30 job at my dads auto shop and I live pay check to pay check. What it boils down to is the amount of hard work, determination, and my ability to drive that has got me to where I am now.... Money would sure help but it isn't the deal breaker IMO
Your ability to drive is scary. You're young, and you are hungry. Marc was, and frankly still is the same way (but he's an old man now!!:D:D He's gonna kick my ass when he reads this!). He is bored to death driving 100 h.p. UTV's. Maybe we'll jump back into trucks next year and step aside! Your time will come, just wait until me and Marc get out of your way!!

Oh, and so not to change the topic, money is not as important in our class as a teams desire and ability to refine and dial in their race car. I've worked for Marc for virtually nothing, mostly because he's family and I don't have any financial obligations. It feels good for a couple of old beatnicks like us to know that we still have what it takes. I was hoping to see you catch up with Marc earlier in the race. It would have been the most difficult pass you ever made if you got by him! My guess is it would have been detrimental to both cars. V2R4U? We'll be using that race to test in preparation for the 1000. God, I hate going to Mexico! Be sure to bone up on all-out cornering! It looks like your car would have a lot of body roll there as a trade off for how it absorbs the rough.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
So folks think it doesn't boil down to who has the most $$$, I get that. That is one reason I loved IROC when they were running, it's the drivers.

But that said, just how much does it cost to go Baja'ing in a UTV for the car only? I know there's associated crew logistics etc... but you'll have that with any race program.

I bet there isn't one car that was in contention under $30-$50K. Am I right? Just curious. This is still a considerable chunk of change and much more than I think a Class 9 car is to run. Lou definitely is filling a huge niche for those of us poor paupers...:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000