Can Am Monster Maveric Wins Baja 500

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So folks think it doesn't boil down to who has the most $$$, I get that. That is one reason I loved IROC when they were running, it's the drivers.

But that said, just how much does it cost to go Baja'ing in a UTV for the car only? I know there's associated crew logistics etc... but you'll have that with any race program.

I bet there isn't one car that was in contention under $30-$50K. Am I right? Just curious. This is still a considerable chunk of change and much more than I think a Class 9 car is to run. Lou definitely is filling a huge niche for those of us poor paupers...:cool:
Again, it's all relative. We got the cars for free from Can-am, and it costed Marc less than 5,000.00 over the last year to pay me to build it. Fox gave him the shocks for free, etc...The real costs for our racing is in the race by race logistics and expenses. Marc estimates that the 1000 will cost over 30,000 for us to race competitively.

I have over 3,000 hours designing and building the Monster Mav. That is mostly due to every chassis component being hand built or heavily modified. I think the majority of the teams will tell you they have just hundreds of hours in their builds, not thousands, due to the fact that they purchase over the counter suspension components, etc.
There is in excess of 20,000 worth of parts, and the car costs 20,000 retail.

Any racing program relies on good driving in order to find success. I feel that there are 3 tiers of driving abilitires within our class. 4 or 5 pros who want to, and can win at any given event, the bulk of the drivers somewhere below them and some drivers who really just want to have fun, and a win would be a welcomed bonus. At the risk of eating my shoes, Ill end it with that!:D

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
So folks think it doesn't boil down to who has the most $$$, I get that. That is one reason I loved IROC when they were running, it's the drivers.

But that said, just how much does it cost to go Baja'ing in a UTV for the car only? I know there's associated crew logistics etc... but you'll have that with any race program.

I bet there isn't one car that was in contention under $30-$50K. Am I right? Just curious. This is still a considerable chunk of change and much more than I think a Class 9 car is to run. Lou definitely is filling a huge niche for those of us poor paupers...:cool:
After registration, Score tagging, food, fuel, parts, housing, cervesa, ect..... I'm guessing most teams spent around 10K running the 500.

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
For the record I race a Maverick with 95% of the stock parts and all of the safety modifications required. I race the marked course, no short cutting. I saw many places on the beach section to short cut. I wish we all would race the same course at the SCORE events. This is not directed at any 1 team this is a general statement intended to keep the class professional and growing. SCORE rule book does state that we must all pass within a certain distance of the VCP's. It does not have any rule referring to the marked course. I wish that it did. To be on a level racing field we should all race the same course and distance.

Last edited:

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I don't race (wish but can't) ... a stock machine wouldn't even pass the safety certs, right??

Oh yes... FREE bump for Mav Wins thread. lol

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
Ok to clarifi I race a Maverick with safety modifications and 95% of the stock parts; suspension, engine, clutch, drive train, axels, cv's, knuckles, electronics, and transmission. Modifications are roll cage, seats, seat belts, body panels, air cleaner, exhaust, wheels, tires, clutch springs and rollers

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Definately no stock UTVs racing in Baja, let alone about every Pro UTV class. Especially if they still plan on being competitive. Most racing sanctions would not even allow a stock unit to race...

Winning races or championships takes money, a crew, and dedication, it is up to you what that ratio might be...?

Markflexes

Tear It Up 2011 RZR XP
Feb 28, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Re: Can Am Monster Maverick Wins Baja 500

Too bad a good intentioned thread got hijacked. And, a guy like Joey who has done so much PR for the UTV community has to defend himself. A real shame IMHO. :mad:

Hapa

Ricky Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Oc
www.glamisdunesstorage.com
Awesome! good old fashioned which make is faster argument. And desert UTv's are pretty ugly in a Frankenstein kinda way. But the great thing about this site and why it is still doing well is racing settles the argument. This year Can Am can tell ya all to piss off. They Won The Tecate Score 500 and sounds like they deserved it. And they are the best until someone beats em.

And if Can Am keeps winning everyone will have to recognize and give them more attention in the media

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Awesome! good old fashioned which make is faster argument. And desert UTv's are pretty ugly in a Frankenstein kinda way. But the great thing about this site and why it is still doing well is racing settles the argument. This year Can Am can tell ya all to piss off. They Won The Tecate Score 500 and sounds like they deserved it. And they are the best until someone beats em.

And if Can Am keeps winning everyone will have to recognize and give them more attention in the media
Yep.

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
I love all this debate it keeps the title of Can Am Monster Mav Wins Baja 500 on the top. :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Agree:)

Any-way it certainly does make a-lot of us sxs guys

Think Can-am a lot more

Heck we use to make fun of the Cow

or like why Race Farm Eqipment:eek:

Them winning Races sure gets my Attention and Respect

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Agree:)

Any-way it certainly does make a-lot of us sxs guys

Think Can-am a lot more

Heck we use to make fun of the Cow

or like why Race Farm Eqipment:eek:

Them winning Races sure gets my Attention and Respect
I don't think anybody around here actually knows how competitive Can Am and the Bombardier guys are. They love speed and having the Fastest machines out there that really perform and Kick Ass. Look at there Seadoos. there super fast to. We have a 265 hp Sea Doo and it Pulls our 300 hp Yamahaha.
Believe this they will take this and run with it which is great for all of us. Bad for Polaris cause its going to cut into there Market share.

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
I don't think anybody around here actually knows how competitive Can Am and the Bombardier guys are. They love speed and having the Fastest machines out there that really perform and Kick Ass. Look at there Seadoos. there super fast to. We have a 265 hp Sea Doo and it Pulls our 300 hp Yamahaha.
Believe this they will take this and run with it which is great for all of us. Bad for Polaris cause its going to cut into there Market share.
Yep drove a Bombardier Ski...That thing just effen hauled ass...Drove Maverick and Commander as well...I sure like the engines in-em...I believe if not for Can-Am the bar would not be raised as high as it is...These golf-cart have came so far
since the rhino... its truly amazing to watch...we owe that to all the manufactures that are in the game now...po-po has such a large market share...
they can afford to share...At this rate I believe Can-Am will take a far share of the market

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
After registration, Score tagging, food, fuel, parts, housing, cervesa, ect..... I'm guessing most teams spent around 10K running the 500.
A team owner of a Trophy Truck team said the Baja 1000 Logistics fuel, food lodging for all involved in chasing and staging., misc crap cost him 140k . Damn Lotta jack. Ouuuuch.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

Anyone that follows wartercraft or atv racing knows Can Am likes to race and win.

The question is will Can Am learn from their SXS race teams and come up with a whole new sport SXS platform? They have the motor now it is time to surround it with a better set up.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Congrats on the win Mark!! you were rocking it down there. We wanted to be right there and keep the 1,2 finished going, the 1917 was running good till one speed truck parked for a few hours with no other options. Yup these Can Ams can run. Can Am has taken 6 of 9 total podium spots in SCORE this year with only 3 Can Ams running in a field of other competitors. Pretty solid in the roughest of courses!! Currently Can Am is 1, 2 and 4 in SCORE.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Not Sure where Ive ever said anything about secret testing for any XP!K :rolleyes:
There should be a Stock class for the UTV guys to keep cost down and make it affordable. Just have a little slower run times, LOL.
I don't agree with that at all !!

a stock rzr would weigh in probably 400 to 500 pds less making it faster not slower

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000