BITD Class Vote on turbos

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This is the argument I have been making for a year...mostly to deaf ears...including yours to an extent Joey... sounds like there might be some consensus in moving that direction. Guess we'll see.
It didn't fall on deaf ears to me. I've been saying put turbos in Unlimited since they were released last year and there is a thread on here to prove it.

What I was hesitant about with the Unlimited class was considering it a Pro class in its current state. When only a couple of the vehicles consistently competing in it are truly factory based Sxs and the car counts linger on average at about 5 vehicles. I didn't think it was smart for our sport to be promoting what could be a frankenstein vehicle class as a Pro Unlimited UTV class. That was my argument and fear when we discussed it. If the unlimited class begins to consist of factory platform UTVs with evolved suspension and power then I am ok with it. I'm just protective of not ruining what's growing our class is all.

Reactions: MMM1912

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
14. Turbo's provide inexpensive HP a lot less than a 8,500.00 motor build and they are more reliable. Question would be can I put a turbo on a stock NA motor then.
This is the biggest question for people with NA builds in progress. If they make the top PRO class allow turbos, can I put a turbo motor in my car. Either aftermarket turbo with ECU from BITD or a factory sealed motor and factory ECU. Either way is fine with me, I just want to know. When do the rules come out? We keep speculating, but is there a drop dead date? Let's see the rules and then figure out if it is the best thing for the sport... Sorry, NEW GUY, but I have a build and racers and don't know how to finish the car... Anyone know when rules come out?

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
supposedly at start of next season, you can swap powerplants to the OEM turbo engine. In my opinion this is not feasable. On the polaris, the turbo engine is completely different than the 1000 engine. you would need an engine, transmission, clutches, clutch inner and outer covers, intake, throttle body, exhaust, turbo, brackets, plumbing, water pump, intercooler, radiators, wiring harness, sensors, etc etc etc... Probly cost $12-15k buying all those parts

Reactions: JoeyD23

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
supposedly at start of next season, you can swap powerplants to the OEM turbo engine. In my opinion this is not feasable. On the polaris, the turbo engine is completely different than the 1000 engine. you would need an engine, transmission, clutches, clutch inner and outer covers, intake, throttle body, exhaust, turbo, brackets, plumbing, water pump, intercooler, radiators, wiring harness, sensors, etc etc etc... Probly cost $12-15k buying all those parts
So I guess the factory guys are going to get new cars and do ground up builds. This is already happening... Non factory guys are going to buy cars ASAP and do ground up builds or be outclassed by the turbos. The guys that cannot afford new builds are screwed. Guys that are mid build on a NA car are screwed. My head hurts... Anyone want to buy a bag of parts...? Can anyone see a way this is not going to happen?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
So I guess the factory guys are going to get new cars and do ground up builds. This is already happening... Non factory guys are going to buy cars ASAP and do ground up builds or be outclassed by the turbos. The guys that cannot afford new builds are screwed. Guys that are mid build on a NA car are screwed. My head hurts... Anyone want to buy a bag of parts...? Can anyone see a way this is not going to happen?
This is the exact demise of our current participants and class.

Reactions: JoeyD23

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
If another class doesn't emerge and I've heard Casey said out of the question then I see a move to another series like SNORE. There isn't any guarantee that SCORE will not respond in some way to attract NA cars.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Someone from SCORE was in attendance of some sort at V2R to determine what to do about their 2016 rules.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Cognito is factory Polaris, and I am against the turbo in the current class. I would prefer to race against more guys, which would be na, no turbo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Cognito is factory Polaris, and I am against the turbo in the current class. I would prefer to race against more guys, which would be na, no turbo

But you guys are building a Turbo car. I totally get being against it, but it seems like there is no way to stop it. One of my racers was saying this exact thing happened in Class 10. They had all these crazy motors coming in from TRD and FORD Racing and the like. Class 10 got out of control on costs. It really hurt the class and killed the small teams that weren't factory backed. They then locked into the 2.4 stock and it is now stabilized. Cars can run for 5 years and be competitive with low turn around. UTV should be like that... Spend $80K on a build and race it for 5 years. Sell it for 40% and then do another build. How can this happen in UTV? That is what creates stable growth...

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
You are assuming I am building a turbo race car. I am not, we are building a turbo recreation car. I am not sure at this point if we are going turbo next year or not

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
For everyone's info, there were 7 turbo cars in the pro class. At over 10% of the class in half a season I think we can say it is here to stay.
I agree.

Sims is building a Turbo RZR.

LSR Dan is building a Turbo RZR.

I am guessing 2 or 3 are in the works right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnny

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I agree.

Sims is building a Turbo RZR.

LSR Dan is building a Turbo RZR.

I am guessing 2 or 3 are in the works right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There goes the argument about racing against the best. You can't say you beat the best when your racing against under powered machines that creates an unlevel playing field. It's definitely an advantage and makes for an awkward situation.

I hope Score will have a NA class there seems to be a void that needs to be filled.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
That makes no sense George. These are the best. Sims, Johnny, S3, Murreys. Just a few of the guys that will be running turbos that have proven they can win at any race. Just because some people are running "under powered machines" doesn't take away anyone's well earned victory over the likes of those listed above. Not to mention that soon there will be even more turbos out there. Competition is still stiff so don't go saying anyone sandbagged a race because others haven't stepped up to the latest machine.

Yes, allowing the turbo opened a can of worms but its here. Time for everyone to deal with it. No one complained when manufactures stepped up the game to 800cc, then 900cc, then 1000cc. Maybe the rules should have had a cap of 660cc and never changed so we could all be racing on a level playing field with spec rhinos. :rolleyes:

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
There goes the argument about racing against the best. You can't say you beat the best when your racing against under powered machines that creates an unlevel playing field. It's definitely an advantage and makes for an awkward situation.

I hope Score will have a NA class there seems to be a void that needs to be filled.
No offense, but I am building a Turbo Rzr to continue to race against the "Best". The big names in BITD have all gone to Turbo so my argument stands. I want to race against Johnny, Dustin, Murrays, LSR Dan, and all the other elite teams that have gone to the Turbo cars. At this point i hope we are in a different class that way there are no issues with the N/A class and they can continue to race competitively with each other. The N/A class may as well be called the Polaris Xp1000 class because thats the only machine that will be racing in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000