Best E-Rated AT Tire

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I'm preparing to line up some tires for the new 17 F350 and ideally would like to stick with BFG. I've learned that their site sucks for information. (At least from a mobile platform)

The truck came with 20" wheels and I like the look of a 20" wheel with a 35" tire. (47s look better but I don't want to change gearing) I've already acquired new 20" Walker Evans Wheels.

My question is, what's the best E-Rated AT tire out there? I will be towing some heavy loads but I'll also be chasing and doing some light off road driving without a load in the bed or on a trailer and plan to drive this truck quite a bit.

1. Durability / Longevity
2. Rated for towing
3. Off-Road Capable
4. Look good

I need some help here...

valco

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a BFG all terrain fan as well, I have been running them for the last 25 years with zero issues.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Tire rack.com is your friend.

BFG may make a great tire, but their specs are all over the board. They make 35" e rated tire that wont hold 80 psi or the load of other E rated tires. You gonna have to shop around for the size you truly want to run. The specs are all over the board.

Reactions: JoeyD23

bdk

Jul 28, 2016
I'm really happy with the 35" BFG KO2's on my Powerwagon and I think they would work great for you. The are silent on the road, track well and have good tread wear. They should work well in dry sandy environments and have a reputation for being very tough. My 2nd choice would be the Toyo Open Country AT II. I think they would perform a little better in mud but they are heavier and will probably have a greater affect on fuel economy. Both tires have a great reputation and I think you would be very pleased either way. As for looks, I like the sidewall on the BFG's better but the Toyos tread looks more aggressive.

Last edited:

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I really wanted to run the new KO2 when they came out but I wasn't happy with the sizes and load rating options. I ended up going with cooper discover ST MAXX and am pretty happy so far they are quiet and grippy. I got 295-70-18 which is 34.5-12-18. Load rating is 4K at 80. Toyo also makes the same size with similar rating. I almost went toyo at2 in the same size since they have a mileage rating and good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I run the Toyo Open Country AT 285/70-17 on my Chevy. First set got just over 50K, second set I'm right about 55K and hitting the tread bars. They have worn nice & even and have been by far the most quite tire I have run. I won't think about another tire. I plan on getting new ones after the holidays.

I've run BFG AT's on two different trucks and had the same results. Typically by 35K they are close to the tread bar, and as they wear I notice they get louder and I got feathering or cupping on the outside tread.

Learning what air pressures to run is a huge secret to getting even tire wear. I don't run what the Chevy or the tire says to run. Both are to much and crown the tire. What sucks is new cars & trucks all have tire pressure monitors. They don't let you have more then a few lbs of adjustments before the dash light comes on. From what I'm told the only real fix is to replace the wheel sensors with lower pressure sensors.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I've run Toyo AT II and Toyo MT and loved them both as well.
I used to run BFG since I was 16Years old and I stopped running them as the quality of them has gone to shit and customer service at Michelin who owns BFG sucks.
On big heavy Trailers in the heat they blow up. Junk.
I have been running Toyos. No problems at all .

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I have been running BFG since 1984 and never had an issue. I just put the 4th set on my 2000 F250 which is pretty much relegated to tow duty and I love them. They also work great in the sand which is nice when I am dragging my toyhauler in the washes at Glamis.
BTW I am pretty sure Ford TPMS monitor can be reprogrammed for the lower pressures of a bigger tire.

bdk

Jul 28, 2016
I know the original KO's had problems and personally I would not own another set but the KO2's are a completely different tire. They are better than the original KO's in every way and are now one of the best AT tires made. Warlock may have a point with BFG as a whole going down hill but they got the KO2 right. I have ran them in 275/70R18, 285/70R17 and now 315/70r17 and performance has been exceptional. I am not accusing anyone here of making this mistake but I spent weeks researching tires on every truck and jeep forum, Rzr forum and expedition portal. I found lots people telling horror stories about the KO2's and later in the thread it was discovered that they were in fact talking about the original KO's not realizing there was a difference. In all my research I found very few, if any, negative reviews of the KO2's.
I didn't say all that to sell anyone on the BFG, I'm a huge fan of the toyo AT2's and they are easily my 2nd choice. If I was shopping mud tires I'd recommend the Toyo Mt's, passenger car tires would be the general altimax, highway tires would likely be a Michelin and performance tires would be either Michelin or pirelli depending on application. I am far from brand loyal, but I hate seeing misinformation.

The tread design is similar but the tread compound and overall construction is completely different. This is a pretty good example of the improvement.

Last edited:

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
The biggest bummer about BFG is size options and load ratings . The selection for 18-20" wheels wasn't very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Toyo fan here..have run 3 sets of the 37" Open Country MT on my Dodge and could not be happier, getting about 30k miles out of a set...i know the AT's usually go around 50k miles for a set.

Have the original style BFG KO's on our hunting truck and they got really tore up on the snow and ice couple years back...more so then i thought they should have, still did not have any problems with them but will be going a different route next time it needs tires.

We tried the Nitto EXO Grapplers on our truck we use to tow to the dunes and back all year and i have not been impressed with them...they are quiet and handle well on the highway and in the sand but they are wearing horribly...already cupping on the inside and outside of the fronts and some of the tread blocks that have the sipping cut into them are blowing apart between the sipping only about 2000 miles on the tires...not a fan.

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
Toyo all the way.. at2 are awesome tires got 94k out of my last set (halfton)

Running toyo rt now and really like them so far.. good mix of m/t and a/t still ride and drive good with little noise. At 25k on them and wearing well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: warlock

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Just mounted up my 3rd set of the Toyo Open Country AT's. This is my first set of the AT2's. My last set had 53K at the wear bar. (Thought I was closer to 55K) I would have got 55K but all this rain made me get tires sooner.

285/70-17 10 ply E load rating

$900.16 out the door. That was $86 cheaper then the last set I bought in 2012.

Reactions: warlock

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Just mounted up my 3rd set of the Toyo Open Country AT's. This is my first set of the AT2's. My last set had 53K at the wear bar. (Thought I was closer to 55K) I would have got 55K but all this rain made me get tires sooner.

285/70-17 10 ply E load rating

$900.16 out the door. That was $86 cheaper then the last set I bought in 2012.
On what truck Nikal? I had the AT2s on my Ram diesel and I only got about 40k out of them? I have heard that Nitto and Toyo are owned by the same company but I have few buddies that have the Nitto G2s and they seem to last longer than my AT2s did.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
On what truck Nikal? I had the AT2s on my Ram diesel and I only got about 40k out of them? I have heard that Nitto and Toyo are owned by the same company but I have few buddies that have the Nitto G2s and they seem to last longer than my AT2s did.
Chevy Silverado 1500, 2 wheel drive with 4 inch CTS spindles. The two sets that I got 50K and 53K were the original Open Country AT. The set I just got is my first set of AT2's. Both Toyo and the shop I got them through said I should get even more miles out of the AT2's. Also note I run the 10 ply (E load rating) tire.

Yes Nitto is a sister company to Toyo and was formed in 2000. My understanding is Nitto is only available in North America.

Reactions: Rynomx785

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Toyo AT II on a 4wd F450 they last about 60k or so. And I stopped rotating them as much as my last set that went 70k. Rotating Duallies sucks balls. I also run 45 psi in my rears and 65psi up front.
Goodyear Rep taught us to air the tires so you have as much contact path as possible on the ground,so I drive through a little bit of water on the ground to see where the contact patch is and air down till it has the most contact. I also Tow 20k lbs Trailers at 45psi in the rear and never had issues. Rep said I wouldn't and he is right. Most dually Tires are aired up to 80 psi and they wear out the center tread fast lol. Not now they don't and truck rides nicer also.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
My neighbors KO2 on a 2014 Ram 2500 lasted about 15k miles, they are almost bald! I had General Grabbers that did about 35K miles and now have Toyo AT2 with 5k miles and they are wearing great (2014 Ram 2500).I used to swear by the BFGs but not the KO2s on a heavy rig, they do not last.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000