Official: 2014 Mint 400 race thread

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
I will be discussing the issue of nerving with Casey next week. I will ask for a no touch rule for all pre runners in the sportsman class.
Jagged X team has been racing UTV's since the beginning of the sport I have never heard anything but compliments about their sportsmanship and integrity. I am great friends with the entire Schuler family and know for a fact they would never cheat or break the rules to win a race.
Badassmav I would ask you to follow the "Bambie" rule my mom taught me "If you can't say something nice say NOTHING" All the teams in the BITD UTV racing seen are a tight group. We all congratulate, cheer for and help each other. Now that you have joined our tribe please respect our customs. This will bring you the respect you seem to be desperately needing. "Patience grass hopper you will catch more bees with honey" It's ok to talk about all your fab stuff and how you built your UTV, but stick with that. I have worked very very hard to help build the BITD UTV class and It makes us all look bad when you talk bad about another team. This does not encourage new racers it drives them away. Lets all try to continue to lead by example. Cory S
Very well said

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I will be discussing the issue of nerving with Casey next week. I will ask for a no touch rule for all pre runners in the sportsman class.

Jagged X team has been racing UTV's since the beginning of the sport I have never heard anything but compliments about their sportsmanship and integrity. I am great friends with the entire Schuler family and know for a fact they would never cheat or break the rules to win a race.

Badassmav I would ask you to follow the "Bambie" rule my mom taught me "If you can't say something nice say NOTHING" All the teams in the BITD UTV racing seen are a tight group. We all congratulate, cheer for and help each other. Now that you have joined our tribe please respect our customs. This will bring you the respect you seem to be desperately needing. "Patience grass hopper you will catch more bees with honey" It's ok to talk about all your fab stuff and how you built your UTV, but stick with that. I have worked very very hard to help build the BITD UTV class and It makes us all look bad when you talk bad about another team. This does not encourage new racers it drives them away. Lets all try to continue to lead by example. Cory S

^^^^THIS^^^^

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Anyone know what the story is on starting position and draw order compared to how the cars left the line? Even trucks were mid pack the UTV class

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
I tracked the race all day and was getting play by play updates from the heli .. Without a doubt, these utv's impressed a lot of people.

At one point I thought that a tracker had went crazy (like when a TT is shown going 650mph) and I looked at Joey and said "haha that's funny it shows x car going 82" .. Sone cold Joey looked at me and said "that's legit, most likely over the dry lake bed.."

Who woulda thought! Good times!

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
The lake beds were crazy! First time through we were in a train of about 5 UTV's, dust was blinding! Funny thing was we topped out at 78mph you could back off the gas and maintain that speed. Another section of lake bed there was a stiff head wind we could only hit 68mph.

PickupTrucker

Dec 20, 2013
Duvall, Washington
Ok come on, everybody always gets excited for the winner!! And besides, this site is packed full of good content for all brands, and all aspects of the whole utv industry

Sent from a PRC-117 held together by boot bands and hopeful thinking

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
The blue rear facing light is SUPER bright Doug. In the dust I don't know that a whip LED is going to make a difference. The dust is pretty thick .
Yes, LEDs can be blinding...when standing directly behind (in front of) them but the problem with LED technology is its light pattern can be very directional and they require lots of trickery with lenses and housings to spread the light pattern and a lot of the time if you move to the edges of that pattern a majority of the light is lost.

I have over 100 fleet vehicles all outfitted with LED emergency lighting from multiple manufacturers (Whelen, Maxim, Code3, etc) for field staff that work in the street and on a perfect day LED's can sometimes be difficult to see until you're right on top of them, add dust, adrenaline, and racing conditions and Im suprised things like what happened to Brian don't happen more often.

The reason I mentioned a whip is sometimes a light or lighted stick in this case wildly waving about in a very non-random pattern 3 feet above a vehicle may be the ticket to help someone break out of their tunnel vision sooner and recognise a slower vehicle in front of them. See-Recognize-React, giving someone 1 additional second in blinding dust may be the difference between a 20mph impact (with an additional 4000lbs of force) vs. a 5mph nerf.

I dont know if it would work, I dont know if you could get an LED bright enough in that configuration and facing in the right direction to make a difference, I dont know it the promoter would even allow them, LED whips are pretty much a decoration at this point but if I were desert racing Id be curious to test it and see if it helps or not.

In the end Im just happy no one was seriously hurt.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
LONESTAR RACING

Mint 400 invasion

Las Vegas, NV

The Mint 400 has held the title of the toughest, most spectacular off-road race in North America since 1967 when it was first run. The race was created by Norm Johnson who was race director through 1974 and a participant from 69 to 82. Today the Mint 400 lives on through the vision of the new owners. The Martelli Brothers purchased the rights to the Mint 400 in 2011. The brothers are working hard to bring the Mint back to its glory days. Each the race grows in size and popularity. The Mint 400 is one of those must do events. Fans and racers from all over the world converge on Las Vegas to experience this amazing week in motorsports every March.

Friday morning in a town that never sleeps racers are up early to line up for contingency. 330 vehicles are pushed through a party that spans 10 city blocks in downtown Vegas. Vendors line Freemont Street selling beverages, food, shirts and parts. For many teams this is the last time to get the stuff they need to pass technical inspection that is performed by BITD staff. An estimated 100,000 people would attend contingency this year. The 6 car of Lonestar racing came through in the late afternoon and was the largest team to attempt the Mint 400.

The morning of the race driver Dan Fisher and co-driver Bobby Boyer were strapped into the 1910 XP1000 ready to tackle the grueling Mint 400 course. The addition to class 1000 to the limited race and the still air made the dust extra thick. Dan pushed his LSR suspension and Fox shocks trying to pick up spots and get into clear air. Around rm19 the dust was so thick Dan clipped a rock and suffered a flat. Bobby made quick work of the tire change and they were back up and running. Four miles later the car would coast to stop. Bobby jumped out preparing to replace a broken drive belt. To their surprise they found the belt to still be intact. They now knew it was something internally and was later found to be the secondary clutch had broken. Not having a spare clutch put an end to the day and after a long tow back to the pits their day was spent helping all of the other cars in the pits and cheering them on at the finish.

John Melvin spent the weeks leading up to the Mint building his race car. Many late nights and weekends were spent racing the clock. Finishing the build just hours before leaving for the Mint John did not get to test his machine. John would start the with GPS and radio problems. Starting before sunrise and navigating the heavy dust without a GPS was a huge challenge. As the sun started to rise John was able to start pushing his new car. He ended lap 1 and was 100 miles into his first race. He was feeling confident but the belt started to slip. John dialed the car back to save the belt and go for a finish. Just finishing this legendary race is a big deal. Finishing in 6th place John Melvin Jr. / Tim Jewett are very happy #1912 Polaris RZR.

Brian Bush is no rookie to racing. He is however a rookie in the Best In The Desert series. The Mint 400 has been on his radar for years. Recently he picked a new Polaris XP1000 and took it to the boys at UTV Inc and let go wild building it into a desert car. Bush pushed his car through contingency on Friday along with the 5 other cars backed by Lonestar Racing. Just being on Freemont with a new machine was enough to make Brian think he how lucky he was to be racing with great people supporting him.

Pulling into the start line at 4:00am did not ease Brian's nerves but his co-driver Brian Kozan who traveled all the way from Australia to race with the Mint assured Brian they had nothing to worry about. Brian was 10th off the line. He pushed his new car hard into the Nevada desert. He quickly picked off 20 or so cars. He was now sitting in 4th place physically in his class and ready to make a move. Brian punctured a tire while making a pass on a slower class. Kozan jumped out to change the tire only to find out the spare tire did not fit his new XP1000. They were forced to drive on the rim into the pits where we found Paul Hart of Team Jean who lent them one of their spares that would work with our lug nuts. Jagged X team would quickly go to work swapping out the wheels for Bush to push on. "To no surprise, The Jagged X teams generosity lead to them keeping both my good wheel, and good tire so that they could swap the tire and get it to me on lap 2. By the time I had reached pit 1 on lap two the team was still there waiting for me even though their cars had already passed through. My hats off to this professional team and their willingness to help other competitors". Bush pushed through lap two with no issues. He crossed the line in a respectable 8th place on his very first race and a new car.

Bush had this to say about his day. "Big thanks to UTV Inc for building the car and coming in support. Lonestar Racing suspension matched with Fox racing shocks made for a ride quality like I have never experienced before. My ITP tires performed flawlessly and the self-inflicted tire issue that we did have would have happened to any tire in my opinion."

Sims lined up in 4th off the line. He quickly caught third and was hot on the tail of second. Sims had to play it smart. His Lonestar suspension and Fox shocks were working great and he was flying. He knows you can't win a race in the first 25 miles but you can sure loose it. Catching the first place car around rm30 Sims dialed it back a little and raced for a while. Risk crashing both UTV's did not make sense at this point in the race. A risky pass in a wash that paid off and they assumed the 1st physical position. At rm90 it appeared Sims was running away with it. He had a 3 minute lead on the next car. Pitting after lap one Sims car was hitting the rev limiter at 58mph. They help first into the main pit where they changed a cracked wheel and tried to repair the clutch. The clutch had malfunctioned and they were forced to run 58mph for the rest of the race. After a looooong main pit they left in second physical position with JaggedX on their tail. Jagged passed them on a open section of the course. The 58mph top speed was not enough to hold onto the lead. The Can-Am of Burnett would also pass them in the later part of lap 2. Sims would hold onto a solid third place finish despite the setbacks.

On the podium Sims had this to say "I want to thank everyone that helps me get here and helps me make my dream a reality: My Friends and Family, Northern Arizona Auto & Off Road, Lonestar Racing, Itp Tires and Wheels, Team UTVUnderground, Rugged Radios, Factory Utv, Star Island Motorsports, Beard Seats, and Snap On Tools".

Cody Nygren ripping his XP900 at the 2014 Mint 400.

Kevin Shrive would push hard all day. A problem around rm115 caused him to drop out of the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Autowerx

Jul 22, 2011
Congratulations to Jagged X on a great win. They are good guys and hard racers. With that said and for the record- we had the fastest lap!:)
Autowerx 1926

Reactions: 1 person

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Wow the Lone Star team was thick and wide. Nice job amigos! 1926 if you had the fastest lap, then you are da mang. Does this get you the Oakley bomb award? If so jeolous! Murray's were fast. 1905 was fast. Many others too. Very fun racing the Mint! Congrats to ALL of the participants and particularly to the finishers. :) Next race is the SCORE Imperial Valley 250. Come out and race with the crew again! After that it is the SS300 then the FIVE HUNDRED. Woot...woot!

Reactions: 1 person

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
This shows the Brightside UTV that finished 17th had the fastest lap 1:57:58 on lap 2.

Autowerx

Jul 22, 2011
Did not see that time and if that is there time congratulations to them-that is awesome! Had no idea about the Bomb just happy our car was fast. See everyone at SS300.
Autowerx 1926

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Did not see that time and if that is there time congratulations to them-that is awesome! Had no idea about the Bomb just happy our car was fast. See everyone at SS300.

Autowerx 1926

Your car looked great. It's great to see all these fast cars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000