What's next?

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
This is awesome!

I hope the 5 speed paddle system catches on with other manufactures!!

I bet these Pioneer 500s will blow Polaris Ace out of the water.

Not the coolest to look at though?!

They were an absolute BLAST to drive!!

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
i would think a 50" RZR with the 800 would still be more fun than this thing. Rzr has more power and suspension, and sitting lower in the rzr would probably feel more stable than the Pioneer....just some simple first impressions. I don't see a bed on the Pioneer either which kinda sucks for trail riding. I see the RZR being a top pick still

Ezecor

Dec 27, 2011
Central Cali
I think the next big step is going to be three or even four cylinder machines. Same 1000 displacement just smaller pistons which will make higher rpm engines and more potential hps. R1 engines are 1000cc and make 150-160hp stock. Make a good base, choke the engine down to 100hp so you won't get sued and wala. I don't believe there can be to much more to do to the suspensions. The cars today are pretty awesome either way.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
how is the horsepower on them? I actually think they look pretty cool, and I was thinking about getting a trail width UTV. Does it have lockers in the diffs?

HP is actually pretty good..

Although 475cc's the 5 speed really puts the power down and makes it super fun to drive. I does NOT lack in power one bit.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I read somewhere the new honda 500 was 25 or 26 HP. What a turd box. I do like the shift paddle idea... but this is not even close to being a sport SxS.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
I read somewhere the new honda 500 was 25 or 26 HP. What a turd box. I do like the shift paddle idea... but this is not even close to being a sport SxS.

You only say that because you haven't driven it. If you actually drove it your mind would change.

The intentions of this unit WASN'T the sport market. In fact, it the sport market wasn't even in mind when conceiving this Pioneer.

Not one UTV started from the top (even Polaris), these are steps in a positive direction and a sign of things that could potentially come...

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
You only say that because you haven't driven it. If you actually drove it your mind would change.

The intentions of this unit WASN'T the sport market. In fact, it the sport market wasn't even in mind when conceiving this Pioneer.

Not one UTV started from the top (even Polaris), these are steps in a positive direction and a sign of things that could potentially come...
So is it 5 forward gears plus P, N, R or is it the standard 5 gears

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
People are frustrated because we want solid brands like Honda and Yamaha to knock our socks off with a killer sport sxs. It's just taking too long. Polaris had the balls to break every ceiling in Sportiness up til this point, and they deserve a lot of credit for growing this sport more than any brand. Yamaha obviously got the craze going and that was good! C'mon kawi, Honda, yami! Let's see what ya got!

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
People are frustrated because we want solid brands like Honda and Yamaha to knock our socks off with a killer sport sxs. It's just taking too long. Polaris had the balls to break every ceiling in Sportiness up til this point, and they deserve a lot of credit for growing this sport more than any brand. Yamaha obviously got the craze going and that was good! C'mon kawi, Honda, yami! Let's see what ya got!

Some food for thought - Honda went to work on the Pioneer 700 after the flop of the Big Red (5 or so years ago) - in that time was one of the worst economies we have ever seen ... The automotive industry and Powersports industry has just started to bounce back from one of the hardest hits they have ever taken, not to mention the effects of the tsunami in Japan.

Take the Pioneer 500 and the Pioneer 700 and consider it a good building block for things to come - yes, Honda (Yamaha and Kawi too) are behind the game and I think they realize it. The UTV market is stronger than ever and in my opinion quads will be something of the past with the reliability and driveability of modern UTV's.

This is only the start for Honda ...

Hell... You can kinda say Honda started the whole movement back in the 80's with the Pilot and Odyssey. For those of us that are old enough to rip around in one of those bad boys, Honda's had a huge fun factor!

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Some food for thought - Honda went to work on the Pioneer 700 after the flop of the Big Red (5 or so years ago) - in that time was one of the worst economies we have ever seen ... The automotive industry and Powersports industry has just started to bounce back from one of the hardest hits they have ever taken, not to mention the effects of the tsunami in Japan.

Take the Pioneer 500 and the Pioneer 700 and consider it a good building block for things to come - yes, Honda (Yamaha and Kawi too) are behind the game and I think they realize it. The UTV market is stronger than ever and in my opinion quads will be something of the past with the reliability and driveability of modern UTV's.

This is only the start for Honda ...

Hell... You can kinda say Honda started the whole movement back in the 80's with the Pilot and Odyssey. For those of us that are old enough to rip around in one of those bad boys, Honda's had a huge fun factor!
TrukNDave nailed it.... believe me Gunnslinger, I'm a Honda and Yamaha fan, I sold raptor660 last year. I actually have this love/hate (mostly hate) with Polaris (subject for different thread)... but I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE for either Honda or Yamaha to enter the sport SxS. But its frustrating ... because literally since 2008 I've heard rumors about Yamaha and Honda's "next big thing." So yea, I'm skeptical... and with the turd box releases that continue (in my opinion based on current sport models available) don't do much to inspire my confidence.

I ACTUALLY owned both a pilot and odyssey back in the 90s (yes, I'm that old) .... YOU COULD NOT KILL THEM !!! *Unlike my polaris rzr ... every weekend we ride it's not IF something is breaking... but HOW MUCH is this going to cost me.

So again... any negative I have is due to frustration that I've got 3 players still to choose from here all the way in 2014 for sport SxS, Can Am, AC, & Polaris.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
The rhino only had 27hp and no paddle shifter and it provided a lot of fun for many years.

This is a good entry level SXS for Honda and hopefully just the start of things they will offer.

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
add long travel, a decent cage and a few power adders and these would be fun as hell to rip around the desert in.

Without a doubt!! I was talking with a couple of the product planning guys from Honda and kinda telling them this exact wish list. As we stood there and expressed all of our pipe dreams we all agreed that this unit would be a blast for someone on a budget or someone who just wants something different and super reliable. This thing would murder Southern California trails (like big bear or mammoth/high Sierra area .. A lot of possibilities here!

The rhino only had 27hp and no paddle shifter and it provided a lot of fun for many years.

This is a good entry level SXS for Honda and hopefully just the start of things they will offer.

That is exactly it .. For the price and reliability that Honda is known for, you really can't get a better bang for your buck

Gunnslinger

Jan 24, 2014
call me strange but i like this little honda. looks like a quad in the rear, seats two and is a very decent price.

On of the things that was very apparent when first driving the Pioneer 500 is that although it uses a motor (not the same motor) that is a derivative of the Forman, it is absolutely a Pioneer 700 scaled down instead of a ATV scaled up ... Compact, affordable and fun .. Lots of fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000