Kawasaki 08 teryx ignition issues

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
hey guys need some help ive got an 08 teryx with all the motor goodies and for some reason im not getting any spark on the rear cylinder. i thought plugs so i changed those and nothing. then i tried coils. i have the dynateck ones so i ordered a new set and same thing. does anyone have any ideas. thanks

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
I just stole the one out of my dads Teryx and got the same result. Still scratching my head on this one. Thank you for the idea though it was worth a shot.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Another you can check is the wires to the coils. Had a similar issue when i put the plastic panel on infront of the coils it would pop off the wire.

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
Checked all the wires. All connections are clean and solid. And I haven't reassembled the Teryx yet so I can see all the connections. Really getting frustrated now. Just want it to work so I can hang a good old for sale sign on her.

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
I looked at all the connections. Everything seems to line up. And I followed what dynatecks manual as for which wires go to which terminals on the coils. And as far as plug wires go the new coils came with new plug wires just had to use the stock boots.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
This is just way too freakin weird, I am having the exact same problem with an 08 with dynatek set-up, even went as far as replacing the flywheel pickup, still no resolve. I am going to replace the flywheel this weekend. might be a magnetizing issue on the rotor. Mine will give a weak spark on the rear for 3-4 sparks then nothing. I also tried a second box with no luck. I will let you know what i find. Its a very puzzling problem.

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
I am getting the same thing. 3 or 4 sparks and then nothing. That's why I changed plugs. Then since that didn't work I bought new coils. That didn't work so I took the cdi out of my dads car and still nothing. Please let me know what you find.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Just had a spark issue with a small engine the other day at work. Had spark but no fire. Ended up being a bad engine ground cable. Being that engine is rubber mounted you need the engine block grounds.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
There are multiple around the engine. Follow the battery negative. And just inspect all around the engine they are pretty easy to spot.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
The main ground cable comes off the stator cover on the drivers side of the engine.

I had both plug wires off the plugs and inserted 2 screw drivers and watched the spark externally. Front one is nice and crisp, rear was wimpy for 4-5 sparks, then nothing. Swapped coil outputs from the dynatek and the problem moved to the front cylinder and the rear was nice and strong, which tells me the coil and plug wire is good. Chased wires and check continuity from the dynatek to the coils and all is good. Next changed the pickup since I saw a post a while back at teryxforums.net with the same problem, still no resolve. I am down to changing the flywheel to see if some weird magnetizing problem makes the pickup sensor think there is one long tooth on the flywheel instead of 2 shorter teeth. I followed the manual on checking the sensor and both of mine seem to read what they are suppose to.

If that still doesn't work I know a guy who knows a guy with a stick of dynomite!

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
The main ground cable comes off the stator cover on the drivers side of the engine.

I had both plug wires off the plugs and inserted 2 screw drivers and watched the spark externally. Front one is nice and crisp, rear was wimpy for 4-5 sparks, then nothing. Swapped coil outputs from the dynatek and the problem moved to the front cylinder and the rear was nice and strong, which tells me the coil and plug wire is good. Chased wires and check continuity from the dynatek to the coils and all is good. Next changed the pickup since I saw a post a while back at teryxforums.net with the same problem, still no resolve. I am down to changing the flywheel to see if some weird magnetizing problem makes the pickup sensor think there is one long tooth on the flywheel instead of 2 shorter teeth. I followed the manual on checking the sensor and both of mine seem to read what they are suppose to.

If that still doesn't work I know a guy who knows a guy with a stick of dynomite!
If you swapped wires from the cdi to coils and it swapped cylinders it sounds like the cdi is the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000