2011-2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 "Known" Starter area failure issue

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
It appears we have become an added statistic to an ever growing group that is experiencing catastrophic XP motor failure due to a "Starter area failure" occurring in the 2011-2012 XP 900

Facing a $3k motor rebuild and having been subjected to a Polaris CS rep who in the span of our 20 minute call reiterated to me 11 times my XP was out of the warrantee period, I have done some research and as is normally the case have learned some very important things:

1. Failure is neither behavior or environment dependent. Failures from Big bore motors to stock 900 motors apparently have been catalogued.
2. Not hour or mileage dependent but rather influenced by starting frequency. My car has 87 hours and 1547 miles.
3. Starter pin, bearing and accompanying ensemble go south resulting in mild to moderate motor damage, with most damage considered significant requiring case replacement due to hallowed, broken or bent pin and subsequent gearing fracturing upon shifting. (Interestingly we heard a dealer had this failure of a new unit some time back based on in/outs of the unit from showroom to outside:))))
4. Supposedly there are now significant enough units with this condition that extended warrantees premiums may be going north quickly or said condition may become an exclusion on units resold.
5. Polaris redesign for 2013 motor and resulting changes interestingly enough appear to have eliminated what has been alleged to be the driving engineering issue. Hmmmmmmmmmm not a design issue?
6. Repair involves replacement of OEM parts but no technical improvements to safeguard from future or further issue not occurring again........

In spite of my call and conversation with the PCR we have had our car diagnosed at a local Polaris dealer and asked they submit a "fitness for use" claim to Polaris for what we believe is a failure associated with an inherent design flaw that has the potential to impact all 2011-2012 XP motors, but is intermittent in effect. Based on my call, some of what we have read and learned in the last few weeks and this past spring the loss of our Polaris dealer (really small shop who couldn't survive the "push" inventory games Polaris forces on their dealers) leaves me with little to no hope of securing traction from Polaris or getting them to acknowledge this is an issue and have some type of help/relief program for owners. In short we fear the starter pin that seems to be at the center of this issue will be roundly placed in my *&$%#.
Any experience, insight or information that anyone has and would be willing to share we would be grateful for.

Regards

Steve Nottoli
11 Polaris snow machines
2008 RZR 800
2010 RZR 800 LE
2011 RZR XP 900

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Polaris's remedy for their design flaws is for you to buy the next model year where they fixed the problem.

I bought the Gen 1 08 model and of course being the first year there were several issues that Polaris SHOULD have stepped up and addressed if not for anything else, customer good will.

The only thing they tried to address was the dirt ingestion problem by changing the air filter and adding some foam tape. Some will say they haven't solved that problem yet.

But things like the relocation of the voltage regulator, the rear differential seals, shock mount failures among other things were never addressed by Polaris except on later models.

I'm not planning on EVER buying another Polaris product.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Polaris thanks you for finding flaws so they can change future models. Sounds like can am and the clutch problem.

These sxs manufacturers are asking a lot if money for a product with a crappy 6 month warranty.

We as consumers need to stop buying them and demand a better product. Unfortunately this will never happen.

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Placing this thread in The Octagon cut down on the amount of people seeing it since it doesn't show up under "new posts".

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Michael & Tim,

My thanks for your posted response/comments. I do appreciate and share your thoughts......after posting I sent a note to Joey to request the thread be moved to mainstream........no answer so I replicated today. Will be interested to see what I get..........

After Polaris daily now for update and get same scripted response from CSR.....the problem is I cant break free general comment to let loose this one......

Anyway, I to share your thoughts and have shelved my fall purchase of a Polaris.

Thought: Since Polaris is trying to become a car company (based on pricing maybe they should provide held to a car based warrantee and quality model.......

Best Regards

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
Just got the call from the dealership. Another $1,000.00 in parts due to the issue of the post backing out. Polaris surprisingly is going to continue to cover the issue. :eek:

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Welcome to the world of 2011-2012 XP900 ownership........and the luck of the draw and who and how Polaris covers some or all of the cost of repair......but apparently this isn't a major issue, design flaw or of significance to justify a recall or major warrantee bulletin.........if the consequence of a vehicle issue does not cause physical harm to expose the manufacturer to either personal or environmental liability??????????

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Yea, I know. Polaris doesn't recall crap... they just keep pumping out volumes of units with known issues and if your lucky they'll change it a year or two down the road.

Where's honda or yamaha in sport SxS ? I'm sick of PoPo crap.

So what to do ?? I could buy another 2011 or 2012 engine and still have the same looming potential problem... every time I turn key with no preventative fix. 2013 900 engine wont fit to my knowledge without major mods and transmission matting problems. There's no fix, no solution.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
That is correct......to date we have not found a solution to this problem........a spare motor will set u back about the same as the repair........

It is a difficult and frustrating place to be......good luck

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
Well I got it back and was shown pics of the post. It had broken completely off. I loaded it on the trailer and went riding Saturday. It didnt make it off the trailer.......Started it and it died and tried again and a big clunk! Took it back to the dealer and found out today that the post actually backed out this time! It had only been started 5 times since the repair........Here we go again!!:mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000