Polaris 2011-2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 "Known" Starter Area Failure Issue

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
It appears we have become an added statistic to an ever growing group that is experiencing catastrophic XP motor failure due to a "Starter Area Failure" occurring in the 2011-2012 XP 900

Facing a $3k motor rebuild and having been subjected to a Polaris CS rep who in the span of our 20 minute call reiterated to me 11 times my XP was out of the warrantee period, (she was very nice but kept reading the same thing from the queue card:) I have done some research and as is normally the case have learned some very important things:

1. Failure does not seem to be either behavior or environment dependent. Failures from Big bore motors to stock 900 motors apparently have been catalogued. We understand this condition has effected Racers to Sunday drivers.

2. This condition does not appear to be hour or mileage dependent but rather influenced by starting frequency possibly?? My car has 87 hours and 1547 miles.
At his weekends WORCS race we spoke with no less than 3 XP owners who strangely had experienced the very same type of failure on their 2011-2012 XP units...........coincidence?

3. Starter pin, bearing and accompanying ensemble go south resulting in mild to moderate motor damage, with most damage considered significant requiring case replacement due to hallowed, broken or bent pin and subsequent gear fracturing upon shifting. (Interestingly we heard a dealer had this failure of a new unit some time back based on in/outs of the unit from showroom to outside
)))

4. Supposedly there are now significant enough units with this condition that extended warrantees premiums may be going north quickly or said condition may become an exclusion on units resold.

5. Polaris redesign for 2013 motor and resulting changes interestingly enough appear to have systemically changed the area(s) that appears to correspond with our issue. We do recognize that OEM's endeavor to refresh their products occasionally to satisfy consumer feedback but major mechanical overhauls tend to be engineering expensive and are usually reserved for Major Model redesigns or launches.

6. Repair involves replacement of OEM parts but no technical improvements to safeguard from future or further issue not occurring again.......

In spite of my call and conversation with the PCR we have had our car diagnosed at a local Polaris dealer and asked they submit a "fitness for use" claim to Polaris for what we believe is a failure associated with an inherent design flaw that has the potential to impact all 2011-2012 XP motors, but is intermittent in effect.

Based on my call, some of what we have read and learned in the last few weeks, and this past spring the loss of our Polaris dealer (really small shop who couldn't survive the "push" inventory games Polaris forces on their dealers) leaves me with little to fading hope of securing traction from Polaris or getting them to acknowledge this is an issue and have some type of help/relief/fix program for owners.

We are following the Polaris designed process by asking our local dealership to submit some sort of on-line claim request to Polaris direct, but at this point have nothing concrete beyond that. Less the $3k estimate for repair.
We do recognize that even well engineered systems will have imperfections but am struggling with what seems to be a fairly prevalent issue or at least well known to so many......

We are holding out hope that Polaris will review this issue and weigh in and offer some help, or that others may be willing to share how they possibly were able to address this issue to some degree of mutual satisfaction with Polaris?

Any experience with this same type of matter, insight or information that anyone has and would be willing to share we would be grateful for. To date we are not aware of any mechanical patch or safeguard, but given the resourcefulness of the Off Road community if you have and would share I am all ears.

Regards

Steve Nottoli
11 Polaris snow machines
2008 RZR 800
2010 RZR 800 LE
2011 RZR XP 900
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Wanted to post a short thank you to all those who took the time to contact us about our posting. A number of folks took the time to reach out and for that we are grateful.

We received a two (2) line item response to our submission. Vehicle is beyond the warrantee period and it appears the vehicle has been modified for racing, and as such no support will be offered.

There was no technical element that spoke to our expressed concern or any technical response regarding our assertion that the condition exhibited was design related and largely if not entirely induced by "starting the vehicle".

We have been told at the start of this issue Polaris has been a solid supporter of long standing loyal customers and racers. While that may have been the case in the past our experience tells us different.

With the launch of the XP 1000 and a price tag now matching that of a small passenger highway vehicle we should require, rather demand OEM companies like Polaris offer greater warrantee support, increased quality standards with fewer off-shore sourced content.

To the Polaris folks who may be reading this please note: This was not a "Tin Cup" exercise on our part......we simply wanted to be treated honestly and fairly.

B/R

Steve

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
My 2011 when was brand new completely stock had under 20 miles on it when the starter clutch seized and destroyed the cases and other parts. It was a fight to get it warranted because Polaris thought that I had done something to it. Fact was, I never got the time to start building it when it happened.

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I have seen atleast three with this issue, atleast one Polaris covered.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Mark and Wayne.....what you described has been the most frustrating element of our ordeal.....while it seems the basis for the failures remains largely if not exactly same across units (regardless of hours, mileage or time) the response and/or Polaris support seems to be inconsistent, rather unevenly applied....from what we can tell the closer (in terms of time) to the warrantee period the failure occurred the more likely, or as some might assert obligated Polaris felt to offer remedy.

Hey Big Pasta.....we remain convinced that this issue has/will effect many more than Polaris may know of or maybe willing to admit to, the average cost for repair will run into the thousands and as we get further from 2011-2012 we are certain it will be even harder to get Polaris support. Since you have the ear of the giant maybe you can help get this type of issue presented to the newly minted VP of Customer Excellence.....given he is not Polaris home grown he may look at this more objectively and/or he may be able to influence at the least the process of evaluation and response.

Mark..given your expensive experience if you have any ideas on what we might be able to do once rebuilt to reduce possibility of reoccurrence please let us know........this is the most maddening part.....rebuild to same design with same OEM parts to same configuration......?

B/R

Steve

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
I have fixed prob 15 of these broken cases in the past 3 years on 900 motors, stock and modified. We had the same issues in our jetskis, the thing I started finding the most common was when using synthetic oil. The oil is so slippery that the sprauge rollers have a hard time grabbing the bearing. We use oils that are designed for flat tappet engines and have loads of zinc. Also I have found that the pin that hold the idler wheel in usually becomes loose, then they bend. This creates a side torque load on the sprague. When the sprague seizes, ti starts to spin the starter motor backwards, after a short time the starter will seize up from heat and the center idler wheel is the weak link and gets ripped out of the cases.. I cant say I have a fix, it is just a weak link in design.

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
My stock 2012 900xp with 500 trail miles on it is in the shop now for the intermediate starter gear post failure. Basically the left handed threaded post backs out and wedges against the flywheel and in some instances cracks the case. I am the second owner of the unit and after doing some research found out that it had the same issue when it was rolled off the truck at the dealership. So in short it had already been fixed once under warranty. I called my local shop and he submitted it to Polaris but said he didn't think they would cover as the unit was 2 months out of the factory warranty period and I was not the original owner. For some reason the agreed to cover under warranty as I guess it was the same problem that was previously fixed under warranty. So here I sit waiting on it to get out of the shop. Seriously considering selling it as I don't think they will warranty it for a third go round. And I really don't want to 70 miles out again and get towed in! That sucked! Im not out of the woods yet as I have not been called to pick it up. My question to anyone out there....Any way to use parts from a 2013 to delete this issue on the 2011-12's?

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Brent

To answer your first question: There is no known "fix" using aftermarket or later model year parts as we now it.....and yes we looked for any avenue to remedy this is such a way as to not live in fear of a reoccurrence.

Press the dealership hard as it appears Polaris doe not appear to evenly and consistently support warrantee. Based on what we have seen Polaris appears to be covering this condition as a warrantable item on some but not all units that remain close to their original warrantee period. This would make sense and help them avoid what has long been a discussion they don't want to have about design flaw and mechanical integrity. Newer owners are far more inclined to complain and raise a stink then older unit owners.....

If you by chance get Polaris to cover this ensure you document their doing so..this will be key should this condition occur again.....and they deny your claim, this would be helpful information to be given to an attorney who will most likely need to represent your interests...and since the repair only puts back the same parts that fail vs the design change found in the 2013 and newer models it could happen again. And yes as you have found the repair cost associated with this design flaw averages around $3500.

V/R

Steve

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
Just a quick note. Got to see some pictures of the parts and the inside of the case yesterday. The post did not back out it had broke in half just past the threads. :eek:

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
Broke again before leaving the dealership. Post backed out this time. Dealer stated going to fix under warranty and now saying Polaris will only cover parts and I'm responsible for the labor. Keep in mind this is after it has been fixed and I was never told about covering the labor. Getting old has been in the shop longer than it was in my garage. 2012 RZR 900xp for sale $12,500.00 with 700 miles on it! wtf MAN
:mad:

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Brent

We are sorry to hear you continue to go through this......that being said you are not alone. A few things to think about:
1. Ensure you have kept good records and documentation.
2. Press the dealership to resubmit the warrantee request as full warrantee consistent with last/most recent repair. Request this be done through the Polaris on-line system and request copy of submission.
3. File a complaint with your local BBB against Polaris Industries (make sure the BBB understands it is against Polaris Industries and not the dealership.
4. Get your hands on your states Lemon law language.......read it, understand it and how it can/may protect you.

5.Require Polaris to repair again the vehicle in the same manner they repaired is previously.

If you are left with no option and must incur some or all repair costs, keep good records and then consider filing a small claim suit.....not against the dealer but against Polaris Industries.....(key will be to find a Polaris office or address in your state to have the notice sent to.)

If you have access to an attorney, an aggressive letter of remedy might get you increased support......

this will not be easy, but you do have rights as a consumer......you are not alone...this has and is happening to many more folks than just you.

Ask for fair treatment......and remind those in this process the failure appears to be related to starting the vehicle. In order to enjoy your purchase given it does have an internal combustion engine and starting system it would seem important that starter system and engine integrity is somewhat important.....

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Well after having the transmission fail because of a bad bearing at 1475 miles 2012 xp4 the transmission is costing me $2000 and is a defect I have seen several times now. The engine has me real scared I'm going to also have to buy a new engine. What are the options? My motor is good as of now. Should I replace the transmission and sell it at a big loss. Replace the engine and transmission with a 1000? I see a few engines for sale with almost no miles. Now would be the time I'm getting ready to order a transmission and ever year and model is a different trans.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

brent0812

Nov 4, 2013
North Carolina
Polaris as a whole is pissing me off. From the quality of the product to not standing behind it. Mine will be SOLD it has 700 miles on it and has been in the shop for a total of 90 plus days. Motor has been completely torn down and rebuilt in a new case and the problem I have is the starter post issue could happen again as they have not changed the design in all of this. 2012 900XP for sale $12,500.00.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000