Polaris 2013 Polaris RZR XP900 Jagged X Edition REVIEW

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

So you want the truth? You want it strait from the horses mouth, from a guy who logged over 200 miles on one of these new Jagged X edition XP900's in the dunes in a single weekend? Well here you go..

Do I like it? NO - I love it. Why? Because I love the stability and predictability of the XP4. The longer wheels base instills confidence when bombing through large or small whoops. The wheel base remains planted and gives you the ultimate ride when powering through these large bumps at speed. So I get all the benefits of the XP4 chassis, wheelbase and suspension yet instead of 4 seats I get 2 massive big boy friendly seats and 2 kick ass storage boxes! So if you're like me and you love jamming through the desert in an XP4 and a standard XP then this is your dream machine from the standpoint that you do get the best of both worlds.

So let me break it down like this...

Suspension - Same as the XP4, I mean EXACTLY the same. Same shocks, same arms, same everything. Would I want to change anything? YES, I would want to, and will play with the shocks some more. I found myself bottoming out quite a bit with it right out of the box. To Polaris credit the dunes were chewed up and I wasn't exactly driving it like Miss Daisy was with me. I added multiple compression clicks to all 4 corners and it did improve the ride but after feeling what Walker Evans Racing was able to do to my other XP4 by changing the shocks to their aftermarket "needle" shocks I would totally want to do that. Necessary? NO, you could work with these existing shocks but I do see room for some improvement here by way of some more tuning on the consumer end.

Ergonomics - Same RZR interior in terms of the dash layout. Still leaves me wanting something new, something fresh, and yes, a center console of some sort. However, the new PRP seats are amazingly comfortable. They have a sweet mesh cutout that allows water and sand to sift through the seat and they are 5 point harness ready. No more shoulder harnesses falling off your shoulders like the standard XP900 models. These seats allow them to run through the head rest and to keep them tight and narrow on your shoulders and chest. The fit and finish of the PRP seats is the best I have ever seen from them, they did a great job getting these seats just right! The driver seat is on a slider so you can push way back, I am 5'10 and in a standard XP900 I tend to tap my knee on the dash on occasion, with this car that is all GONE! I can push way back and with the seat position you really feel like you are sitting deep in the car. I loved the seating position and I will go as far as saying as this IS the MOST COMFORTABLE UTV on the market now! I let my 6'4 300lb + friend drive it and even he said he loves the seats and the comfort of the machine. The rear storage boxes ROCK! They lock-in with the use of standard XP seat bases which means they are easily removable for servicing your engine. I did not look to see if it was possible to put 2 additional seats in the back in replacement of the boxes. The boxes themselves are big and are lockable allowing for storage of all your essential items such as tools, coolers, and whatever else you wish to include in them. No babies please..

Cage / Chassis - Our units are pre-production so I am always easy on launching an attack on any of the OEM's units they get us before the general public. Our doors were a little out of alignement and wanted to open up on our first test ride, but the awesome Polaris engineers quickly adjusted them and got them working well. The doors themselves look great and the nets never got in the way of my driving like the standard XP's can tend to do. The cage looks awesome for a factory cage and I love the blue powder coat. Pro Armor manufacturers the Pure Polaris aluminum roof that they had on display and it looked great.

Wheels / Tires - Well its got Big Horns, nuff said. Only the most popular, well working tire in UTV history so no complaints there. At 10lbs in the sand this thing hucks roost as you can tell by our photos. I had no problem launching a roost and powering up hills as fast as any other XP with its paddles on. The Wheels are NEW Walker Evans Racing 12" bead locks. The wheels do not come bead-locked however, Polaris installs them on the inner bead like a standard rim. It is up to you the consumer to dismount and mount the bead in between the ring. I was told it was a liability thing? Either way not a big deal. They look bad ass and worked awesome.

POWER - OK, so everyone wants to know, how is the POWER in the H.O. motor? Well, its SICK! or in the case of Polaris' inside joke with me, its GRIP. (I can tell that story another day..) You know you are in a bigger machine then the standard XP, you know it shouldn't be as quick as an XP because you are heavier yet you will run with a standard 2 seat XP ALL DAY! Its quick and right away I could feel the extra grunt when on those long dune runs up a soft hill or bowl. There is something about the power-band in a Pro Star 900 that I just love. It winds out amazingly well and the way it accelerates and puts you back in your seat is phenomenal. Best part is, its still quiet. The slip on SLP exhaust system sounds good, adds power yet still is quiet. The head is painted blue like the roll cage and arms and it just looks bad ass! For you guys who already own an XP900, you can buy this H.O. motor upgrade to put on your XP900 to take it to the H.O. level! Kudos to Polaris for giving their consumers that option to increase the power on their existing 900's. Is it faster than a Maverick? I honestly don't know. I have yet to drive one so I cant say either way, but I am confident in saying that I don't expect a Maverick to flat out outrun it. Once we get our Maverick we will compare honestly and see how they stack up against one another.

Handling - IT HANDLES, just about anything you throw at it. I ran this thing at 60 mph + through the BIG whoops for a good mile long stretch and it charged hard without missing a step. I powered through turns like I was in a car on rails (see our video for proof). I LAUNCHED this beast a good 40ft pancaking the suspension, landing off camber on one wheel, and planting the car rear wheels first and never once felt like I was doing something the car couldn't handle. Rallying through the dunes was a pure riot in this thing and sliding the tight wash trails was nothing short of exciting. The POWER STEERING is sweet! I mean lets call it what it is, its a mini fricken sand rail with a mom thats a RZR and a dad thats a rally car. The thing gets it on!

Looks / Exterior - Blue + Black = WINNING! The flat / matte finish is perfect and just my style. Polaris did their homework here and listened to Jagged X well. agged X has some of the best looking UTVs in the world, Polaris done good with this one!

So in closing... Is it worth $21,000 + to be put into your stable? Well, that depends. It depends on if this machine that comes with 94hp, custom / adjustable seats, Walker Evans bead-lock wheels and shocks, the best tires money can buy, huge storage boxes, opening full aluminum panel doors, clean and aggressive styling, and a warranty is something you want from the dealership. Sure many of us may look and say, you know I like to mod my own machines. In that case, drop $17K +, buy a base model XP4 and go to town modding it out, in which case you and I both know you will still spend more than $21K. But one thing I do know is there are a LOT of enthusiasts who want to finance all these goodies. They don't want to spend time searching online for parts and installing them. They want a turn key machine with all the goodies and thats what Polaris has provided here.

Want to know how many people want this machine? Enough to SELL OUT all the units Polaris made OVERNIGHT! So sure, there may be a lot of people who will knock this machine for not have beat the competitor on paper. They will knock it for not having a 1200cc 3 speed sequential like the rumor mongers spew on other sites. But at the end of the day what we have here is a sweet OEM machine that has clearly been birthed due in part to what consumers and racers alike have done to their machines to make them better. You know what else Polaris has done? LEFT US WANTING MORE and more they shall give....

Now watch this video and try to tell me you don't want to go ride a Jagged X Edition RZR XP900....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w465BCfuXMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

then watch this video and try to tell me that this isn't the sickest video ever made in glamis with UTVs! lol

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gICHVt-B49o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

then watch this video to learn more about Jagged X...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/haZ2MRoVmdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

then go to these links to see and learn more...

http://www.utvunderground.com/new-jagged-x-edition-xp900-3219.html
http://www.utvunderground.com/utvunderground-presents-polaris-camp-rzr-glamis-new-years-3310.html
http://www.utvunderground.com/polar...utv-to-date-jagged-x-edition-xp-900-3255.html
http://www.utvunderground.com/polaris-camp-rzr-day-2-photos-3316.html
http://www.utvunderground.com/utv-underground-presents-polaris-camp-rzr-day-2-3392.html

sandaddict13

Jan 25, 2010
Glendale,AZ
Nicely done. I saw a lot of these cars running around Glamis this weekend, were they all media and Polaris guys driving them or were some of them sold to the public before and during the CampRZR event?

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
Very nice passionate writeup Joey! It truly sounds you are impressed! Right on Polaris!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Thans Scott. I just get tired of reading other people on other sites bash the machine because people start rumors of some outlandish machine that gets their hopes up. The rumors and false release dates that people of importance spew is really unfortunate and really does hurt the REAL release due to the fact that peoples expectations begin to swell. We get that people in the industry want to show they are "in the know" but these people need to understand that what they think they know and what is actually the REAL DEAL probably is different. We don't even always know the real deal and we like to think we are in pretty well with the OEM's.

At any rate, my response is passionate and honest. There is a lot of room for improvement but the same could be said for all machines. At the end of the day what Polaris introduced here was a phenomenal and unique machine that just gives more people in thi sport more options!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I wanted to drive one but I never got to. I took this photo using the light from Joeys whips.

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
I think its sick...great write up. How does it compare against your xp4 joey? Is there room to add seats in the rear?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Thanks guys! It will remain a 2 seater. Some of the features:

Custom Blue LED's from Rigid Industries
Seats and Harnesses from Pro Armor
5 Speaker SSV Works Kicker Stereo System
Rugged Radio Communications
ProLineWraps.com Graphics
New Dragonfire Steering wheel and quick disconnect
New Dragonfire passenger grab handles
Custom Wally World Dash w/ Polaris Lowrance 5" GPS

Much more...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Stopped by SDR today and the boys are cranking! Tins are being completed and we finalized some minor details that are going to set this car off

The center tubes of the rear cage will be removed and make way for complete tin work with perf cut outs. Back up lights from rigid will be hidden inside!

Flushed in rear tail lights are going to look sick.

We will modify the factory storage boxes and encase then with a sick aluminum enclosure that will be sealed with custom aluminum trunk doors.

UTV Inc. made is these sick custom switches that we will use in all out builds from here out. These are available for purchase at utvinc.com

Just like the stormtrooper we opted to have a large open windshield with no intrusion bars for maximum visibility. SDR also made an aluminum scoop for the roof that will encase our 30" SR Rigid LED Bar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000