2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Take it as an opinion and not offensive, but....

1. Who cares about the "love" were out there to race!
2. opening doors required, really?! Count out any legit utv...

Nothing over 1000cc's (make it sop money can't buy a win)
(basically same as SCORE and BITD rules, they work!)

I think Opening doors is not saying they HAVE to open, just they CAN open.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
I will probably have at least 1 seat open. I'd love a swap for beer! Heard cops are atrocious out there?

they werent too bad. KOH is an older crowd, not like the old days of glamis. we didnt get harassed for fireworks. but the black powder campfire bombs were alittle risky :eek:

3 years ago we camped at the m.o.r.e. 500 and we had a fire permit, no bottles, no pallets, and they still found a way to harrass us. they made me change the color on my flagpole light. they said no blue or red allowed. so i changed it to green with the remote:cool:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
hey, did anybody else from koh 2013 notice on friday night the flare that went into hammertown? we were up by LCQ course, and seen a flare gun flare go up, and then come down in the middle of hammertown still lit:eek: that was nuts.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
That was no flare gun, that was me letting go of the jalapenos I ate earlier in the day. And yes, they were still flamin' coming out!!! LOL!!!:D

Brandonatv

Aug 12, 2013
Ok... Coming form Illinois to race koh. I got a lot of questions. I don't want to drive 2000 miles to be not able to race!

Can I have a turbo?
What kinda GPS
Is co driver required?
What do I need for a pit crew? ( 1 person or 20 spread across the desert)
The must haves and have nots ect

And a lot of other questions. I've read a lot but would like to talk to someone that has experience out there. Email or text

[email protected]
618-223-3232

yield2me

May 17, 2011
Most of these guys are in Baja, so I answer these questions.

Are you entered yet ? Prices go up 12/1.

If the rules are the same as years passed, you are good with the turbo in the Unlimited class ( I wouldn't run one, and I bet you will be the only one.....what does that tell ya ??)

Can't go wrong with Lowrance. Buy the biggest you can afford.

Co driver is required if you car has 2 seats. No way I wouldn't have one.

Pitting depends. We will have 2 trucks and a UTV. Their location will depend on where the rock sections are.

Bring lots of spare parts and a group of guys that are willing to work hard for you, and plan to stay the entire week.

Rob

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Most of these guys are in Baja, so I answer these questions.

Are you entered yet ? Prices go up 12/1.

If the rules are the same as years passed, you are good with the turbo in the Unlimited class ( I wouldn't run one, and I bet you will be the only one.....what does that tell ya ??)

Can't go wrong with Lowrance. Buy the biggest you can afford.

Co driver is required if you car has 2 seats. No way I wouldn't have one.

Pitting depends. We will have 2 trucks and a UTV. Their location will depend on where the rock sections are.

Bring lots of spare parts and a group of guys that are willing to work hard for you, and plan to stay the entire week.

Rob
I don't think the rules are the same as years passed. Only two classes, Sportsman and Pro. Pro is limited to 1000cc and I thought it has to be NA.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
I haven't seen anything "official " for 2014 yet, so had to base it on years past.

Still wouldn't run a turbo, legal or not!!

Rob

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Ok... Coming form Illinois to race koh. I got a lot of questions. I don't want to drive 2000 miles to be not able to race!

Can I have a turbo?
What kinda GPS
Is co driver required?
What do I need for a pit crew? ( 1 person or 20 spread across the desert)
The must haves and have nots ect

And a lot of other questions. I've read a lot but would like to talk to someone that has experience out there. Email or text

[email protected]
618-223-3232
Turbo? I don't know. I wouldn't run with one. This isn't a race of horsepower, except for maybe the two to five minutes of flat out racing on the lakebed(s). Plus, hours and hours of beating on a turbo car is just asking for engine and belt problems.

GPS? Anything works, even google maps on an iphone. In 2012, one team in EMC didn't use GPS, just a paper map. GPS course downloads are only available for Lowrance and Garmin GPS. Lowrance is hands down the best, and go as big as possible. Keep in mind the touch screen ones will not work with racing gloves, so don't waste the money. Most of us have a 5" or 7". I did see several people using a Garmin last year, so don't count that out. Whatever you are most comfortable with or can afford.

Codriver? I don't know that one is required. My understanding is you can have 1 to 3, but no set minimum. Racing without one is a BAD idea in this class. If you don't have one, finding one wouldn't be too hard.

Pit wise, you could in theory have zero pit people and do the stops yourself. Either get another team to take your stuff to the pits the morning of, or set up your pits the night before and hope everything is still there on raceday.

Most people bring friends and have them either haul ass between pits, or split them up amongst the pits, all depending on course layout Plus, other teams will generally help out. I know last year our purely volunteer pit crew handled 6 or 7 cars.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
this is good info, but we need more...... where do we find the rule book and when would qualifying take place? We only have 10 days before the price goes up and it would help to know this info before....

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Heard that Blake Van Da Crazy is driving this year! Look out girls!:D

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Most recent update
11 Pro & 5 Sportsman Registered
9 Pro & 3 Sportsman Verified (paid)

Those numbers are off, we registered an 800 for sportsman today, and paid for it immediately. So we are 3 of at least 13 cars.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
3 questions

1. Mon. 2/3 – Pre-running day, does UTV get to participate in this?
2. If yes to number 1, full course or modified course?
3. If yes to number 1, do you have to do it on four wheels or can you use a bike?

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
3 questions

1. Mon. 2/3 – Pre-running day, does UTV get to participate in this?
2. If yes to number 1, full course or modified course?
3. If yes to number 1, do you have to do it on four wheels or can you use a bike?
Monday, anyone can prerun. Even spectators and locals.

However, the qualifying course will be marked off, and is open only to those who already have access to Hammertown(aka us).

If part of the race course overlaps with or crosses the qualifying course, then you won't be able to make a 100% prerun loop of the race course. 99.9% of it, sure.

My recommendation is to show up Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Less people on the obstacles and whatnot, plus it gives you more time to prerun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000