4,800 Hard dune riding miles on my Teryx

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
I have an 09' Teryx with 4,800 hard, dune riding miles on it. I've never opened the motor. I check the oil every ride. Sometimes it burns a little oil. I never run it low. I use mobil1 synthetic.. I clean the air filter every trip. I've only changed the belt twice. It just runs and runs! In the back of my mind, I wonder when will this motor say enough is enough? What kind of miles do you have on your sxs? Have you rebuilt?

aaronjuarez

Aug 2, 2010
I only have 12 on mine but I like to sit around camp a lot. j/k 1200 dune miles most but I have a few trips to mammoth on this thing and it still rocks

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
12 miles and 328 hours.... Aaron, you need to slow down! You drive way to fast! :D

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Only 2200 miles on my Teryx with only one belt change, just because. I also check my oil often and change it regularly and keep my air filter clean. I'm saving my pennies for a standard bore kit next season.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
I'm back and forth about the std bore kit. On one hand I would love more power on the other hand I'm kinda done spending money on this thing. I think if I fork out more cash, it will be for a new toy with more hp out of the box. Gotta love the reliability of the kawi though!

Brayla

Oct 4, 2013
Southern AZ
I'm back and forth about the std bore kit. On one hand I would love more power on the other hand I'm kinda done spending money on this thing. I think if I fork out more cash, it will be for a new toy with more hp out of the box. Gotta love the reliability of the kawi though!
Well worth it if you plan to hang on to the car, I ran a BKP std bore kit from Todd at HW in my 08 Teryx and it was awesome. Theres a lot of bickering on the trex forums about who's is best but Todd is always just a phone call away if you run into problems with install/tuning.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
If you plan on keeping it, the 840 kit is a monster in these rides. My friend had Dasa build his motor last year and it is night and day difference in over all performance.

He can climb China Wall in Glamis - and it is a heavier SDR built 4 seater. He was hitting 70mph on Sand Highway and would have gone faster, but there is a speed limiter put in with the kit.

It would be pretty easy for Kawi to be competitive in the sport SXS market as their motor has great potential. Could you imagine a stock 900cc+ motor from Kawi?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
4800 miles is alot!! i only have put on about 3800 miles in 8 years on 5 different sxs's that i have owned. I guess i need to get out more often.

Timberdog

Aug 23, 2010
There was a guy on the Rhino forums that had over 10000 miles on his Rhino. I'd say your good for awhile yet. When you do regular maintenance it definitely helps.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Had just under 2000 on my 08 rex when I sold it with 0 enging issues and one belt. The 09 we have in havasu just had its first belt at 2000 miles and just the normal maintaince

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
The thing I like about going with an 840 is that you get all new crank, bearings, rods, pistons, etc. it's like a whole new motor. The downside is that many guys run into cooling issues. On a std bore you don't replace the crank and rods and it's just a matter of time when those bearings say enough. The big question is, how much money do I want to sink into it. :D

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Yes, the all important question of put more money into what you have or sell and get a new one.

My friend already had an after market radiator on his 2009. He was having heating issues with the stock motor. His current motor is not running hot at all.

Brayla

Oct 4, 2013
Southern AZ
The thing I like about going with an 840 is that you get all new crank, bearings, rods, pistons, etc. it's like a whole new motor. The downside is that many guys run into cooling issues. On a std bore you don't replace the crank and rods and it's just a matter of time when those bearings say enough. The big question is, how much money do I want to sink into it. :D
You can always pull the motor and break the case then do the bearings and whatever else you can.

If you plan to do the work yourself it's much easier to pull the motor to do the top end anyway.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
8,000 on my RZR 800

Sometimes I check the oil (it burns a little) :cool:
Sometimes I clean the air filter (when it runs bad) :cool:
Somtimes I check the tire air pressure (when they look flat) :cool:
I checked the water level once. :cool:
Need some new bearings in the front according to my friends :cool:
A few belt changes - 2 in last 4 years. (Just because it was time) belt was still working.
Had to replace front Diff.

Car still runs good though.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
8,000 on my RZR 800

A few belt changes - 2 in last 4 years. (Just because it was time) belt was still working.

Just drive it, huh? :)

tomcav

Let ride ,bitches
Feb 6, 2011
the oc
8,000 on my RZR 800

you must have great friends......:D sometimes

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
There is no such thing as saving money with these things. If I go standard bore that is gonna be about $1000 to $1500 or so (I haven't priced it yet). A big bore would be about $2000 to $3000 or so installed. Either option is still thousands cheaper than selling our old rides and then buying a new $20k ride. If I never got the long travel then I might have considered selling and upgrading, but unless I hit the Mega Millions or Power Ball I'm gonna keep my 'ol Teryx.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
There is no such thing as saving money with these things. If I go standard bore that is gonna be about $1000 to $1500 or so (I haven't priced it yet). A big bore would be about $2000 to $3000 or so installed. Either option is still thousands cheaper than selling our old rides and then buying a new $20k ride. If I never got the long travel then I might have considered selling and upgrading, but unless I hit the Mega Millions or Power Ball I'm gonna keep my 'ol Teryx.
I hear ya... I think I'll dump my money into a sandcar next time and keep the Teryx for the dirt...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000