Polaris 900 xp cam problems

Randy McManus

Mar 12, 2016
Ok where do I start and keep this short..
ok to start with with my son locked up the engine in a 2011 900 xp rzr.. so he has a friend whos whole family races dirt bikes, his friend has a 1000 rzr and he wanted to rebuild my engine..so we bought all the parts from the crank up,, except the head..
so Auston my sons friend takes it out for a break in period ride and 10 min into it hears a squeel coming from the engine and shuts it down..
They trailer it back to the shop and and pull the head cover and find out the cam have scared the cam housing.. no oil.. going into it deeper he finds the head gasket has a tiny hole in the gasket over the oil port. so no oil to the cams.. after looking at this I cant believe there are no bearings in the housings.. so now instead of replacing $20.00 worth of bearings i am looking at $800.00 in head and cams.. has anyone done a mod to put bearings in the housings????

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Most overhead cam motors from automobiles to dirt bikes are like this. There is no fix that I know of.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
You have to tear down complete motor plus remove all oil lines and oil tank to. Clean everything out of all shavings. Yes there is a tiny hole in head gasket you can only make it 2or 3 drill bit sizes bigger to get a little bit more volume. If you go to big it will starve lower end. Sounds like oil pump wasn't working or oil gallery was clogged.

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
The hole size in the head gasket should stay the same and the volume should be gained in the cam cap and cutting it around the bolt holes. Like stated, you have an issue in the oil pump, pressure valve, oil galley that runs up the cylinder, or in the cams themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000