Advice on UTV for racing SCORE (attempt 2)

rustyb

Sep 12, 2013
For some reason my post below is unreadable. so I'll try again. My name is Rusty Batza and for the last couple years I've raced the Baja 500 and 1000 in sportsman quad. I want to get a cage around me and I'm thinking very seriously about a UTV, and am looking for advice on what to get. I like the look of the new Rzr XP but am a little concerned about first-year problems. I'm also thinking of the Maverick, especially since Cory did so well on a near-stock one in the 500. I don't know much about other brands.

I'm 6'5" so need some room. I'm a decent mechanic but not a gearhead and only want to do whatever mods are necessary for safety and to finish races. I'm not rich so the lower price of the Can-Am is appealing.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading as much as I can find but would like to hear from people who are out there doing what I want to do. Thanks.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Thats better.

I wouldnt worry about the XP1000 on its first year as its fundamentally no different that the XP900. Same powertrain, better frame, better ergonomics, better seating, bigger package.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
As tall as you are you should probably go sit in some of them.XP 1000 has limted room for your left leg but you might fit in the Jagged XP4.The Wildcat and Maverick are also an option.

aaronjuarez

Aug 2, 2010
We race a can am in the pure series and this series by all means is no comparison to Baja but our car has done very well and knock on wood has not had any issues. I think the can am is a very well built car and with a few modifications it will survive Baja. Just my experience and opinion but good luck in whatever you buy and race.

rustyb

Sep 12, 2013
Thanks Aaron, going to check one out tomorrow. I have a Can-Am DS650 quad and it's been bulletproof, so I already have some Can-Am bias.

aaronjuarez

Aug 2, 2010
Rusty, good luck man. The SxS racing is insane and has some great competitors in pret much all of the circuits. Hope to see you down in Baja.

rustyb

Sep 12, 2013
Aaron, any thoughts on 2013 vs 2014? I can get a 2013 for $13k. Also, any thoughts on issues that need to be addressed? I know about seats, harnesses, cage, fuel cell, and such; I mean mechanical issues. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000