Ain’t UTube Great? Listen Up Folks!!!

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
The creation of UTube has allowed the idiots out there to easily demonstrate to the entire world just how stupid they really are, some of it can be damn funny at times but unfortunately that’s not what I’m about to share. Instead, it is an example of how to shoot 55 million+ motorized recreational enthusiasts in the foot with one shot.

The following video has the negative attention of nearly the entire OHV Community and has become the poster child of a current campaign by Tread Lightly! who are attempting to educate people about the effects that this sort of behavior has on the future of our sport.

Forget the brand involved and the fact that it’s a UTV/SXS for now, but remember the ammunition this sort of $hit gives anti-access groups, the NFS, BLM and others! When your favorite play area finally closes, if it hasn’t already, you have folks like the one in the video below to thank.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9fbDRMvfg]RZR river fun! - YouTube[/ame]

This casts a REALLY BAD light on SXS/UTV folks and the entire OHV Community in general. Those among us who have fought for decades to preserves access for all motorized recreationists take personal offense to thoughtless actions like those depicted!!

If anyone knows who these losers are I’d suggest you report them to authorities or at least have a discussion with them personally about their actions before they and other 1% ‘ers like them screw it up even further for everyone!!!

Here’s a whole library of their UTube antics, take note of the “handles†they used to upload the videos, perhaps they will serve to help trigger somebody’s memory!

Google

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
We have a total lack of prospective and need to understand what is destructive and what isn't! On the Rubicon there is a section you travel in the stream bed for a long distance and well as many places in the south where your only course is in a stream bed! Hwy 39 OHV area has many such places and this might be as well or even private land! This is MUCH to do about NOTHING! Really do we want to waste or energy eating our own? Or tell the Tree Huggers and whacko's to take a hike by electing the RIGHT people to office! No tree was hurt or trail widened and I see no harm except I did hear some fun, OMG!
couldnt agree more!I'm glad you said it first.I was scared to.

steino411

American Pride
Jan 3, 2011
San Diego
I agree we need to protect our riding areas, but I did not see anything wrong with that video either. I was expecting a rollover and gas spilling out or something like that, by the description.

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Shooting the Messenger

I post items I think might be of interest or concern to our Community. I got this video from Tread Lightly! and thought I would share it.

Here is their official take on the matter . . .

“Short answer... No, it’s not okay.

Longer answer... Stream crossings should only be done at designated crossings, and travel through should be limited to just enough power to get across safely and effectively. Travel up and down a stream where the trail does not designate that as the route (yes, there are some) constitutes off-trail, and especially with a riparian environment, could lead to penalties or (hopefully not) closures. These guidelines apply for public and private lands, as even in a private lands setting, sediment can flow downstream and impact other users and areas, if not mitigated.â€

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Well, I can see everyone's points but it took less than this to get "Tellico" closed for good compliments of Trout Unlimited.

BLR

Dec 15, 2010
Florence, Oregon
I can see both sides and this particular one to me is not as bad as another video that I have seen where a few SxS's had totally destroyed a creek....turned it into a mud bath...

but I can also see where the enviro's would run with this and turn it all around and say see what they are doing to our great wilderness and a few stupid morons would believe them...so as ohver's we need to remember that if we post vids, make sure no fish were harmed...:D..and make sure that what we see as fun is not harming the enviroment...

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
I appreciate everybody’s thoughts on this matter!

Folks, using “Tellico†as an example, even with NFS approved legal stream crossings that were used as prescribed, and trails that were set up with NFS approved sedimentation mitigation measures in place, Trout Unlimited (fronted by The Wilderness Society) were able to permanently close the place using sedimentation issues.

Honestly, if you take a hard unemotional unbiased look at the video, it clearly shows well-used ingress and egress points for crossing the creek and someone in the group mentions a good place to camp that would likely indicate this is public land, either NFS or BLM controlled, where camping in unimproved areas is still legal.

I’m not saying it’s right but the EPA can even fine us up to $50,000 per violation for numerous things we might do on our own private property, it is a FACT!

Forewarned is better than looking back at a times spent in a favorite area now closed due to environmentalists influence and intervention!

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
In my opinion, it is necessary for us to police ourselves when needed, by passive means, as a way to ensure lasting meaningful access.

Thanks for all the input folks!

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks Papa!

Points well made and taken as such . . . we both see eye-to-eye 99.9% of the time and I am not handing down a verdict with this post nor have I ever contacted a LEO when I saw an obvious land access infraction or violation.

However, I have chosen the alternate route and engaged folks who were committing such acts FTF in discussion, usually with far less drama than has been pervasive here in this thread. :)

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I don't think it is a very good idea to run your SXS in water and mud like that. It mucks up your drive train and crap..... Polaris does not recommend extended water crossings or traveling in water more than 6" deep. Lets all take care of our rides people!!;)

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
With the current sediment issues being used against OHV motorized access I think the clip demonstrates poor judgement. I have no idea where this film was made, so I would give the benefit of the doubt, but sorry to say this is exactly the ammunition used against Motorized Recreation.( I also would guess the guy driving has no idea what the Rubicon struggle is like.)

With that being said I also agree we are pushed into a corner and it sucks. I personally know I can't change the past and this demonstrates something none of us can change(unless you know the guy who posted the film clip)

But I hope I can help change the future, and maybe others can help. Perhaps This is something the ISA can do when we get up and running. Imagine when you purchased your new SXS the manufacture gave you a training DVD that explained that your not supposed to drive up streams and why?

I am pretty sure that hikers screw up and do resource damage just as often if not more often than OHV users. Could we defuse the argument if we had our own training in place to help educate new users?

I am an advocate for education, and not closures. Closures of our public lands breed an attitude of not caring and potentially doing what ever we want regardless of what it means when we feel hopeless. I can say this because at times I have felt that way. Who has not?

The bigger question is what can we do to take away the argument that is being used against us(OHV users), and make a positive impact on our sport?

When I started 4 wheeling Cal 4 wheel stepped in and taught me responsible use. I hope the SXS industry will find a mentor for new owners in the ISA.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
You see it is like Global Warming, Ozone, and all the crap science the sell to the public! Are there unreasonable users? Yes, but I don't buy the premiss in the first place! A flood, a Hurricane, a fire, an earth quake do way more damage than we could ever do! The land is going into the ocean, you can't stop it! The Tree Huggers will always hate us for all time no matter what! So we have to appeal to the open minded guy in the middle of the road way more than the guys making the crossing! We need to approach the Fishing guys and educate them or infiltrate their ranks like the Sierra club has done for years! I just don't buy that "We are the problem" Golf courses look great and GC drive them all the time! Simplified example, but 12" of tire will not destroy anything! We are part of nature and we should be good stewards, but not to utilize our land and be in it is a crime! If there is a problem, build a bridge, its our land too! :eek:

I agree to a point. Here is the problem, OHV users are in the minority, and our government needs to represent the majority. The argument that other things do more damage does not really work with me, but maybe it does for you? Thats the best part of the USA we can debate our feelings and the majority wins.( or the bigger bank account and better lobby firm:D)

The fact remains we all have fallen in love with a sport that pisses a lot of people off. In some cases its loud, dusty, does a little more resource damage than say hiking, and is an easy target. Guess we need the bigger bank account and better lobby firm?

In the end when you strip away everything else, common sense goes a long way. We all have to live here together, and just because some one else tears something up we should not use that as an excuse to tear up stuff ourselves.
( I have done some pretty dumb stuff so I am checking my hypocritical baggage at the door here. Yes I too am a dumb a$$ at times.)

I totally agree with you regarding propaganda, and public perception. OHV users spend so much time on the defense we often forget about offense. I think in the end we just do the best we can with what we think works. I applaud L.K. for sharing the stuff he does, just as I think its cool you promote trail rides and get people excited about off-roading.

Our sport will always be a target now, thats just the way it is, we can adapt, change and overcome, or we can choose another hobby. I like offroading enough still to make an effort at it. Some day I may decide otherwise.

Edit: I just reread your post, and agree that there should be some sort of signs in place that say " Stay the hell out of the water dumb ass!" Maybe they are there and we don't see them, maybe this is someones back yard, maybe its in Baja where they don't give two shits about mother earth.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
If you have not already seen this web site, I suggest everyone take a look around it and see what we are up against.

Thrillcraft - The Environmental Consequences of Motorized Recreation

This shows up pretty regular in the land use circles.

He sure does like quoting people with not one refrence to any legitimate report or study. This guys a real snake oil salesman. I like the "An average two-hour "thrill" ride on a PWC can dump between 3 and 4 gallons of gas and oil into the water. The California Air Resources Board also reported that a day’s ride on a 100 horsepower jet ski emits the same amount of smog-forming air pollution as driving 100,000 miles in a modern passenger car."

That's the biggest line of BS I ever heard in my life!!!! Someone should educate this moron... But, as it usually goes, if you scare the hell out of people, there are no facts, only perceptions. If someone thinks it's true, than it is, period.

Sad.... But as Mr. Heston said, "when they pry my" UTV "from my cold dead hands", well he didn't say exactly those words, but you get the point. I'd like to find out where this moron lives and go do donuts on his lawn just to piss him off. Yeah that's childish and is juxtaposed to common sense, but when you're dealing with retarded con men, that's all they understand....

The other thing I was curious to know is how all of these tree huggers get to their beloved trails? Do they hang glide, or use a wingsuit, or by divine intervention they're transported by Mr. Sulu or Mr. Spock?

Wow, now I'm pi$$ed off, crap, and it was already going to be a $hitty day...

I think he's just jealous he can't afford one, the loser....

Dan ...:mad:

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
So we need to educate the public, encourage understanding, bring other groups together to fight, I have been Off-Road for 43 Years and we need to organize like the NRA and put out a Net Magazine to tell the truth, vote in packs, and back politicians who understand!

NO TRAIL SHOULD EVER ALLOW ONE CITIZEN WITHOUT ALLOWING ALL CITIZENS! ADA and the 14th Amendment apply!

[/B]

There is an effort to do just this currently under way, but it takes a lot of volunteers to make it happen, and lets face it, a large portion of OHV enthusiasts are too busy paying for the toys and trips to take time to join the fight to keep the land open to them.

More to follow, I have a Land use conference call in 15 minutes I need to prepare for.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000