Avid Racing Maverick Max Build

Strange one

Fabricator/Mad scientist
Dec 14, 2013
Tucson Az.
Well, I've been reading, and reading, and reading. The forum pirate has struck again. First things first. I'm not here to compare brains or balls. I had a customer come to me and ask me to build the best car for the class that I could. I studied the rules. Made my decision, as to which way to go. Build a light weight car that lasts a year, or a heavier car that is designed to last longer. ( not everyone has a 6 figured racing budget per year) Do to time, budget, and products available, I decided to build everything in house. I do not like the geometry of the products on the market, nor the quality. I did not design this car or parts of it to sell off a shelve somewhere. I looked at the problems Michael Lansky had with his Mavrick, and using common sense and a little vision, took this car to this level. As I said originally, I will tell you anything about the car that you want to hear, just not here. You are welcome to call me anytime. I have a family that I love, a lot more, than typing. I have a business that I love,a lot more than typing! And frankly, don't have the time, or want to waste my life, typing!! As for " ASSMAV" I apologize for making fun of your name. We first met at the Mint 400 last year. We, ( AVID RACING) had a rough day, bent the CRAP out of the front arms 10 miles into the race, rolled the car on the first lap, cause the arms were SO bent. Did I blame the builder of the arms? No. But I did analyze the reason they bent and designed mine to resist. Will mine bend? Hell ya, if the wrong combination of events happen. As will anybodies. After driving 90 miles with the front end whacked, Michael got the car to the me at the main pits. ( We have great volunteers helping us, not payed mechanics,techs,and the like.) We managed to pull the arms off, using a high lift jack, we straightened them out, enough to finish the race. (that's what I do, is try everything possible to finish) After the race, (we were pitted next to you and Mark) I came back to the pits from watching the "BIG BOYS" race, and found YOU, with the hood off of our car! ?? You had some of your "minions" with you and were, I guess giving another (long winded) lessons on geometry. When I came over you proceeded to throw down the gauntlet and start asking me why our cars " Scrub was off" ( Using stock risers, or "hubs" as you call the, have the S.A.I. already built into them for the stock tire diameter, and wheel offset) When I explained to you that it would be off with 30" tires, you changed the subject, and asked why the Caster was off, then started spouting off numbers like you could change them. HELLO? The arms that we had on the car where BENT!! Not to mention, fixed, IE.. no hems or other means to adjust ,camber, castor, from the manufacture. You were so intent on showing your "decipels" that you knew alot, you still didn't notice that the, ARMS WERE BENT!! Then you started to ask about the "MAJOR TOE IN" and how you would never run with so much toe. HELLO? ARMS BENT? After I mentioned AGAIN about the arms being bent I realized that you did not want to hear anything that you do not want to hear. So I asked you a simple question, which you would not or could not answer. At that point you and your followers departed. As you will do every time some one gets your goat. I'm not picking on you, I am standing my ground as I was taught to do growing up. I have tried to build the best designed car that I could. I use no solid works, no computer, nothing to do my figuring for me, just good common sense. This car has my name on it, I stand behind my ideas, and my ideals. Some good some bad. That is what's great about off road racing, is looking at the problems that can happen out there, and finding solutions. As far as your concern for my design of the rear steering arms. Take mine off, and the car still sits level and amber or caster don't change. Take them off of a Polaris and the wheels fall over. APPLES and ORANGES. Different designs.I would expect someone as wise as you could see it. You your self changed the location of the same steering links on your old car. Just because you used an existing hole in the frame, DOES NOT make it "in the factory location" You seem to be a very bright individual, I commend you on your passion for the sport.I hope that you, along with those others that are out there, will open their minds , to think of how we can make a better car. Not just a more lucrative business, by selling off the shelve cars. Put your mind to it. You might be surprised. THE WORLD MUST EVOLVE. I will be happy to talk face to face at the races. But don't expect much response here. Nothing personal, Joey. This site can be a great wealth of knowledge. I just don't have the time. Take care to all, have a safe and fun new year. Hope to be driving the new car at some races, and I'm sure I'll feel the"D10 Dozer" front bumper of Marks new car. Maybe not. (NEW CAR BLUES) We'll have a good time either way. "Never argue with a fool, some people listening won't know who's who."PS. I don't see anybody standing up and offering to help Cory with inspections. It's a tough job. Not always do things go "your way". Just be careful what you wish for, could be worse. PEACE OUT Y'ALL:cool:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
A few corrections. Just to clear any doubt that we used all stock pivots, here's a pic of our rear link bar, and where it attaches. The only pivot location on the Monster Mav that was moved (besides lengthening arms) was the front lower ball joint position, and it was mainly to bring the scrub radius back to where I wanted it, using 30" tires. Every other attachment location of arm, rods, or links remained in the stock location.I wont address your assessment of my character. I'll let people decide for themselves. I never laid a hand on your car at the Mint, so the hood must have been removed by someone other than myself. Don't recall being asked any questions I ran away from, nor having any "disciples" other than Marc there while we spoke. I dislike people, and, other than two dogs, have nobody I try to impress. I do remember 3 or 4 of your guys staring me down with their sunglasses and matching shirts while we were talking. It appears in this post,that you are attacking my character. I don't recall doing the same thing to you. You're making me look like an arrogant prick of some sorts, and that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Before I ever posted a word in this thread, You and Mike were already calling me out by name. Now, you post a reply with many inaccuracies, for reasons unknown to me. Confirms my outlook on society, and peoiple in general. Disciples?......funny dude.

Attachments

Strange one

Fabricator/Mad scientist
Dec 14, 2013
Tucson Az.
I'm a man of my word. You are correct on your steering link location. I apologize, must have been looking at your picture wrong. As for michael and I having anything against you… I don't know you enough to have anything against you. I'm new to the UTV world, not familiar with very many people at all in your world. Some day, maybe we'll have a beer, maybe we won't. Time will tell. Look me up at the next race I'd be happy to talk to ya, face to face. I'm not gonna hide on this computer, but I really hate typing. Best of wishes for all racers no matter what kind. Maybe somebody out there with a polaris will want me to build theirs, then we can start this all over.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
As we moved from Pro to run Unlimted for this season (yes we will be running a turbo'd powerplant hopefully soon) we gave up our 3rd place draw to start at the back of the unlimited class. We left the line I believe 5th or 6th and quickly passed a number of the unlimited cars in the long woops section right after the start...the car was very good in the woops. around RM 8 or 9 we experienced the first of the new car blues when we smelled smoke and pulled over. We quickly found that one of the tool bags was placed too close to the exhaust and had started melting and caught on fire. It took a few minutes to extinguish the bag, remove the remaining material and move the tools to the passenger compartment. We unfortunately had been re passed by everyone we had passed and or started behind us...

Around RM 20 we experienced a catastrophic failure of our hub/stubaxle assembly..that we couldnt repair. 2nd strike of our new car blues. The car has tremendous potential.. but we still have some major kinks to works out. Hopefully most if not all will be addressed and cured by the time the UTV WC are upon us... wish us luck!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Was the move to Unlimited strictly because you will be running a turbo or was part of the reason due to the possible issue with the rear suspension pivot point?

Because you can run a stock turbo in the Pro Production class. I'm assuming the move to the Unlimited Class is because you will be running an aftermarket Turbo with an aftermarket ECU? If so it will be interesting to see what untapped power there is and how it will fair in regards to the clutching & desert racing. Good Luck and cant wait to see what you guys come up with.

Also with moving to Unlimited you have to option to add a second shock per wheel. Would be cool to see a traditional coil / bypass combo on the rear.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Was the move to Unlimited strictly because you will be running a turbo or was part of the reason due to the possible issue with the rear suspension pivot point?

Because you can run a stock turbo in the Pro Production class. I'm assuming the move to the Unlimited Class is because you will be running an aftermarket Turbo with an aftermarket ECU? If so it will be interesting to see what untapped power there is and how it will fair in regards to the clutching & desert racing. Good Luck and cant wait to see what you guys come up with.

Also with moving to Unlimited you have to option to add a second shock per wheel. Would be cool to see a traditional coil / bypass combo on the rear.
The move to unlimited was for a couple of reason but nothing to do with the Pivot points..we had Cory's agreement that we were good on those. This is a 2014 Chasis and so was not eligible to run a turbo in the Pro Class (this car took a while to build). If we really wanted to run a turbo- we had to go to the unlimited class... this car has a huge amount of potential..the suspension and build quality are over the top...but being limited to 105-110 hp wasn't going to get us to be a competitive car in the Pro Class.. the competition and cars are just that good. I'm thinking we will run a stock Can Am turbo motor initially..get the car (and most importantly the suspension) dialed. We can look at adding larger turbo's etc down the road. Of course adding more HP/Torque is going to even further challenge an already challenged drive train. And yes shocks...I cant imagine how much better this car would take the woops with additional shock or external bypass shocks..taking a UTV to an unprecedented level. Yes we are taking on a whole a plethora of new challenges going this route...its going to be difficult, but if we can figure out the mechanical problems.. this should be a really fast and fun car to race. See where it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000