Baja 1000 Bets and Bullshit

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Hopefully more like 22 hours for overall UTV. I think there are more teams doing it with two drivers than you think George. But no since in bragging about it, we are sitting down the whole time anyways.
I spoke with Marc last week and he was on the fence if he was even going to race because of his foot injury. If he does race I doubt that it would be solo given the injury he has.
I've done long distance on a bike but nothing like 840 miles. Still, time sitting or not in a Utv takes its toll both mentally and physically. For example the first half of Baja 500 was brutal. With 3,4,5 drivers you don't have that issue. Just saying it's another factor.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
For all the tough talk "this sport isn't for everyone" and "maybe you should find a local series" btw I thought was funny.....you know who you are. It appears no one is doing this race solo in a utv just bikes and quads. I know many of the winning motorcycle teams over the years were just two riders so why not the top utv teams?

We have just 2 drivers....one is the oldest guy in the class. So I don't wanna hear about how tough the sport is. You can tell each other that when your shopping together for new outfits before the race and having your toes done.....haha
! :)

Seriously, I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes to race in Baja regardless of what they run and that includes the chase teams etc. The challenges start before you cross the border and only intensify from there. Broken down in the middle of the night with no one around seeing another broken race car looted and then the looters patrolling around like their not too worried about it is a little spooky. Hassled by police, one bad taco, and no sleep now that isn't for everyone. Good Luck to all that are going and I hope whatever happens everyone comes home in one piece.
Haha! Good Stuff Right There!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Can it be done with 2 drivers? Sure.... Is it smart? Maybe...Maybe not.... Id rather keep the team in the car on point by not having them driving for a 10-12 hour shift.....or longer if you have problems.

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
We're doing the race with just 2 drivers. Seems like most teams are using 3-4 drivers....Anyone else with just 2 or possibly doing an ironman? Lets talk about that for a minute..........
We have never had more than 2 drivers, and 2 co-drivers. No chase crew, and no pit help... It can be done, but is one hell of a challenge... Hell in the 500 sur I had to buy gas off of a local mexican because we ran out and missed our pit... part of the challenge we enjoy though.

Nate
Alba Racing

Reactions: mearsman

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
We have never had more than 2 drivers, and 2 co-drivers. No chase crew, and no pit help... It can be done, but is one hell of a challenge... Hell in the 500 sur I had to buy gas off of a local mexican because we ran out and missed our pit... part of the challenge we enjoy though.

Nate
Alba Racing
Nate maybe we should get tattoos while these other guys get their toes done....:)

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
He would definitely be in a better race position if you were still helping his program....As last minute as you made yourself look on the forum you still got shit done...half the time I figured you were sand bagging us about being 80 hours behind and showing up to tech 1/2 hour before it closed...
Nope. Never once did I sandbag nor over-dramatize our last minute gremlins. Every last hour of that shit was all real. There wasn't one race we entered last year that after hammering out 100+ hours in the final week, that I didn't have to put in at least 1 all-niter the day(s) prior to the race, then, load the chase trucks and hope there was time for a quick shower and luggage-pack before pulling out. (Those who saw me in any of the contingencies last year could attest that the shower and bag pack never happened!) It easily consumed 4,000 hours of my life last year to provide Marc with championship-level equipment. Come race day, it was always just that frickin close. It was a one man show, and there wasn't one race we ran where the car only required freshening up. I believe we started 4 races last season on new motors and 3 new wraps.
I'm obsessive compulsive, as well as manic depressive, and can not allow other hands on the car during final prep, and assembly. I was really anal about that, but Marc never had issues with shit falling off, or over-torqued and yielded 3-race old hardware snapping in half. Man, I'm so glad that shit"s over.

I wont lie, the switch to Polaris was kicking my ass early on, but we were always moving in the right direction with what we were doing to the car. I was pretty confident we'd have seen the winners circle, or certainly a podium or two by years end. To think that I got fired shortly after the Mint for taking an hour and a half off of work on a Monday morning (after working until 11 p.m the Sunday night prior) just has to nauseate the shit out of Marc right about now. Hard to say what an hour and a half costs these days.

Thanks for the good words Jim, but now it's time for my beauty rest before my gravy union job tomorrow. Don't want to lose any sleep, you know. The transition from BADASSMAV to "Joe Lunchbucket" has been trying on this old frame.
Yeah, I'm still as facetious as ever!
He would definitely be in a better race position if you were still helping his program....As last minute as you made yourself look on the forum you still got shit done...half the time I figured you were sand bagging us about being 80 hours behind and showing up to tech 1/2 hour before it closed...

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hopefully more like 22 hours for overall UTV. I think there are more teams doing it with two drivers than you think George. But no since in bragging about it, we are sitting down the whole time anyways.
I spoke with Marc last week and he was on the fence if he was even going to race because of his foot injury. If he does race I doubt that it would be solo given the injury he has.
He shattered his heel and lower foot about as bad as one could. Being the manly fuck that Marc is, he didn't give adequate time for healing before getting back to business. He didn't have much of a choice. His FreestyleMX business was in full swing, and Marc's involvement is instrumental to the success of said business. I was told that he nearly lost his foot as a result. The aunt B's they were giving him to save his foot were too strong to be administered through a natural vein without risking irreversible damage to the vein, so they had to run a tube from his arm into his chest to administer the antibiotics. It's my guess that he won't be seeing any seat time soon, as he was told that if he raced the 1000, there was a good chance he would lose his foot, hence complicating his chances of ever kicking ass (pun intended) again in the future! Marc is family, and I feel bad for his struggles, regardless of how we parted ways. Although, karma is a bitch.

For the record, Marc did have an arrangement with a pretty reputable driver to co-drive this race with him. I'm not in the position to name-drop here, but suffice it to say that the arrangement was with a professional race car driver, and that it would have again focused the pre, AND most likely, post race attention to MB Motorsports.

Johnny, I can relate to sitting in the "Oh shit!" seat. It is unsettling at first, but pretty awesome once you recognize the increased capabilities of the vehicle in which you are shit, ahem, I mean sitting in. I had the same experience after finishing Mc M's class 8 way back when, during its maiden test session. I thought, "surely he sees those 30" deep rollers directly in our path, right?" Based on my racing experience up to that moment (which was challenger, 5-1600, and old school class 8), I was sure it was bucking bronco time. But before I could even brace for impact, the whoops were a non-issue. They were nothing more than a minor distraction at 80+ MPH. I could only imagine how much more impressive it would be with today's shock technology, and more favorable unsprung weight ratios. Even Scott, when driving the truck for the first time, would break out in random laughs of disbelief as the out of the box set up was doing its job. His only comparison was the truck before we rebuilt it, which we prepped and he raced in the '91 San Felipe 250. It was still the sucky Dave Shoppe design.
(On a side note, what was way cool about that race was that Scott had to race it in class 2 'cause Shoppe illegally moved the firewall back 3", and we didn't have time to change it before the race. When Scott finished just a few minutes behind Dave Shoppe, immediately in line behind him, Shoppe got out and was staring at awe, looking over his old machine as to say, "How the fuck could he be have finished right behind me in that piece of crap?" I snapped a timeless image with my camera of him gawking.)
Anyway, you da' man Johnny, you da' man! Any testing videos out there of the truck while under your ownership? I haven't even seen the thing yet. Good luck in Mexico.

And Matt, I don't know much about Wayne Matlock other than his early racing roots were similar to Marc's (i.e. Motorcycles and Mexico). What I do know, is that old man "Moneybags" would have:
- won in only his second race out,
- in a pro class,
- with no significant if any racing background to draw from,
- clutching victory from one of the most savvy drivers out there,
if it weren't for a refueling mis-step around RM 180 at last years Baja 500.
It taint half a bad story to tell the grand kids someday. I'm just sayin'!

Reactions: Johnny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000