Baja 500

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Does the turbo mav share the same tranny as the prior ones? I know that up to the end of last year, the only available mod that brp had gear ratio wise was a 37 tooth replacement pinion gear for the stock 36 tooth gear in the transmission. Marc wanted to try it out, I believe it was in the baja 500, and it was a slug. We couldn't even pull the stock shorter gear, so I wasn't sure what he was thinking. Point is, that the tranny labored a lot more with that extra tooth on the pinion. Perhaps they ran that set up.
Regarding the rpm of the tranny output shaft, it is way below what you were thinking. On the BAM, with 30" tires, stock tranny gear, and stock 1.36:1 diff ratios, our driveshaft rpm at 75 mph was only 3,300 (3,300 rpm/3.6 gear ratio x 7.27 tire rolling radius/5,280 feet per mile x 60 minutes in an hour = 75 mph. This data was crucial for me as we ran the alternator off of the driveshaft, and I needed to know at what speed the alternator would kick in. I believe it was at 16 mph the alternator began producing at 25 amps, and by 40 mph, it was pumping out nearly 80 amps. We were at about 100 amps at 75 mph, if my sloshy memory serves me correctly.
I am sold however, on fresh Trans and diff oil each race with well placed breather vent tubes. Lucas oil, synthetic racing, straight 140 wt. in the trans, and straight and gooey 250 wt. in the diffs. The new turbos have a more effective clutch than we had in the BAM, so youd know more than I whether that helps or hurts the situation. Thanks to the sabatuers at BRP, we never got to try one. Those knuckleheads just didn't like me, and our equipment was inferior as a res
ult. Hell, they may as well have teamed up with Wiley Coyote and changed the course markings just before we went by!
Man, I'm really turning into a whiner in my old age. Last year's winner, this year's whiner!

Reid, I've always been supporter of you here. I've missed your posts... but I've said all that before on other threads.

You could always come back to mav forum... I blew my turbo mav belt at 150 miles on machine last weekend (captured on video), so I'm not sure how good the turbo clutches really are. Looking for any advice / info. Got some great tips and solid info from Adam and Nate, but no real solutions just yet.

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum...analysis-150-mile-turbo-belt-failure-vid.html

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Well Jim we will start last or close to it but I think we'll take our chances. So what do you think ds of finishing might be in your opinion? Now don't get all bashful on me.....jus sayn!
You may start at the back of th UTV's....but what about the 5, PT, 7SX,5-1600, 2,3,3700,1700,4400, SF,SM,9,11, and sportsman classes that start behind you? Hopefully your buddy in 1700 isnt racing. Odds of you finishing? Ehhh, its a good goal. If you can finish the baja500 we will talk odds at V2R.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
maybe start small George with like odds of making to Ojos Negros down La Rumorosa Hill on the race course not the quick way down ?

so Ill say Ojos 100%
La Rumorosa 50%
Race Mile 270 not gona happen first 270 is going to take out half the field

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
But congrats for showing up just wish you where a little more confidant and by the sounds a lot better prepared ..

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Reid, I've always been supporter of you here. I've missed your posts... but I've said all that before on other threads.

You could always come back to mav forum... I blew my turbo mav belt at 150 miles on machine last weekend (captured on video), so I'm not sure how good the turbo clutches really are. Looking for any advice / info. Got some great tips and solid info from Adam and Nate, but no real solutions just yet.

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum...analysis-150-mile-turbo-belt-failure-vid.html
It sounds like a contributing factor to the problem can be found in driving style disciplines. When Marc started racing trucks after a lifetime racing motorcycles, he had a problem in the beginning breaking rear axles. I'm talking 40 spline, gun-drilled 300m floating axles. The "keep the throttle pinned" approach to negotiating whoop sections does not carry over well from bikes to trucks. I know nothing about the new clutches in the turbo car, but it sounds like they have a belt saver feature built into them that you removed for some reason. Is this correct, and if so, for what purpose was it removed? The locking sheave feature in the new clutches is a good move in my opinion, but it surely allows for more immediate loading on the belt than the slipping sheave design from the old style clutches did. Most of our broken belts on the Monster Mav came out in a yarn - looking shrapnel, indicating delamination, most likely influenced by the heat generated by slipping sheaves. My guess is if you worked the throttle a bit more while negotiating whoop sections, or anytime the vehicle leaves the ground for that matter, you will minimize the shock that the locking sheave design introduces to the drive belt, therefore minimizing the broken belt blues.
Just my .40 cents worth (2 oz's of Stout!)

Reactions: mearsman

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
It sounds like a contributing factor to the problem can be found in driving style disciplines. When Marc started racing trucks after a lifetime racing motorcycles, he had a problem in the beginning breaking rear axles. I'm talking 40 spline, gun-drilled 300m floating axles. The "keep the throttle pinned" approach to negotiating whoop sections does not carry over well from bikes to trucks. I know nothing about the new clutches in the turbo car, but it sounds like they have a belt saver feature built into them that you removed for some reason. Is this correct, and if so, for what purpose was it removed? The locking sheave feature in the new clutches is a good move in my opinion, but it surely allows for more immediate loading on the belt than the slipping sheave design from the old style clutches did. Most of our broken belts on the Monster Mav came out in a yarn - looking shrapnel, indicating delamination, most likely influenced by the heat generated by slipping sheaves. My guess is if you worked the throttle a bit more while negotiating whoop sections, or anytime the vehicle leaves the ground for that matter, you will minimize the shock that the locking sheave design introduces to the drive belt, therefore minimizing the broken belt blues.
Just my .40 cents worth (2 oz's of Stout!)
Thanks Reid... it could be the shaft saver partially, I got the ECU reflashed for addition 25hp and elimination of that safety feature was just a part of reflash, I didn't think much of it at the time... I'll definitely be testing more and see if I can save belt with throttle and other suggestions I've learned from. THANKS

Good luck to everyone racing Baja 500.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
You may start at the back of th UTV's....but what about the 5, PT, 7SX,5-1600, 2,3,3700,1700,4400, SF,SM,9,11, and sportsman classes that start behind you? Hopefully your buddy in 1700 isnt racing. Odds of you finishing? Ehhh, its a good goal. If you can finish the baja500 we will talk odds at V2R.
I think you have it backwards. V2R is much less challenging. Who cares who starts behind us anyway that was only a factor at the Mint when the 1700 car shattered our transmission. I have news for you anyone "in" a race car isn't scared and least of all me. All I can say is I hope you like crow......:)

Johnny I'll take your odds to Rumorosa....would that be 2 to 1? How about $500 we make it assuming we can get this piece out of our motor we just found. Btw, a good reason to buy super strong magnetized plugs. We have a new driver for the second half so first 270 is up to me....never going to happen sounds to me in a field with over 20 cars has to be like 10 to 1 odds. I'll take $500 of that too.....your right need to show a little more confidence in ourselves like you said. We're just a poor underfunded team from the South......should be easy money....:)

Just let me know who's going to hold the money.......Oh I should tell u we have new black PVC from Home Depot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Sorry thats not really a bet I would be interested in as I want all my fellow racers to FINISH the race and all of them to come home safe and crew to come home safe

Good Luck

I was more saying how tuff this course would be for everybody from the few days I was down prerunning

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Sorry thats not really a bet I would be interested in as I want all my fellow racers to FINISH the race and all of them to come home safe and crew to come home safe

Good Luck

I was more saying how tuff this course would be for everybody from the few days I was down prerunning
Ok I was just trying to make it more interesting but for sure will be interesting enough. All those TT and others in front will make it even harder. If it was easy I wouldn't be interested. Good Luck to you and all the others racing next weekend.

In the meantime, it's already off to a slow start for us.......high ground wasn't high enough.

Attachments

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I think you have it backwards. V2R is much less challenging. Who cares who starts behind us anyway that was only a factor at the Mint when the 1700 car shattered our transmission. I have news for you anyone "in" a race car isn't scared and least of all me. All I can say is I hope you like crow......:)

Johnny I'll take your odds to Rumorosa....would that be 2 to 1? How about $500 we make it assuming we can get this piece out of our motor we just found. Btw, a good reason to buy super strong magnetized plugs. We have a new driver for the second half so first 270 is up to me....never going to happen sounds to me in a field with over 20 cars has to be like 10 to 1 odds. I'll take $500 of that too.....your right need to show a little more confidence in ourselves like you said. We're just a poor underfunded team from the South......should be easy money....:)

Just let me know who's going to hold the money.......Oh I should tell u we have new black PVC from Home Depot.
Good luck...you're going to need it.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Well you were right we didn't finish but if you were tracking you see we weren't doing so bad. I got lazy in the smooth sand just past the long whoop section at Rm 181. I was trying to make up time I thought we lost in the whoop section. Had I known we were in 4th I probably would have backed off some. Rookie mistake I hope I won't repeat. Just a foot note....the 1915 Alba car was the hardest car we passed. I was surprised how fast that car is when they rabbited on us.... I haven't seem any results but congratulations to the winners and finishers!

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
^ How bad is the back of your car from getting punted after you broke?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
^ How bad is the back of your car from getting punted after you broke?
It's a little more than a flesh wound. Someone said we should have moved off the course but we had just broke and couldn't move.....video shows still in our own dust that's why the other car didn't see us. What's really scary is I'm just finding out now we got hit after seeing the video. I have zero memory of any of it. I'm not sure but I'm told they talked to us. I've got about a 30-40 min gap I can't recall like anesthesia.

Funny the one thing I do remember is we got stuck in 40-60 min worth of bottlenecks early and I was told were only a mile from catching Johnny Angal and the leader was only 25 mi when we broke. If that's correct I'm guessing we were closing the gap some? This was the first race the car was doing well. I let the car down at rm 181......sorry pink car with horns!

Reactions: JoeyD23

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
Just a foot note....the 1915 Alba car was the hardest car we passed. I was surprised how fast that car is when they rabbited on us.... I haven't seem any results but congratulations to the winners and finishers!
Thanks! our little 900 can still rip! We worked out way back up to 4th before we had to call it due to a broken tranny mount that kept eating all our axles...

Nate
Alba Racing

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
It's a little more than a flesh wound. Someone said we should have moved off the course but we had just broke and couldn't move.....video shows still in our own dust that's why the other car didn't see us. What's really scary is I'm just finding out now we got hit after seeing the video. I have zero memory of any of it. I'm not sure but I'm told they talked to us. I've got about a 30-40 min gap I can't recall like anesthesia.

Funny the one thing I do remember is we got stuck in 40-60 min worth of bottlenecks early and I was told were only a mile from catching Johnny Angal and the leader was only 25 mi when we broke. If that's correct I'm guessing we were closing the gap some? This was the first race the car was doing well. I let the car down at rm 181......sorry pink car with horns!

you where right behind us George when we heard about it we turned around and raced back to make sure you guys where ok you where out cold so we gave your co driver 50 pesos and had our way with you for about 15 Minutes befor you started to come to ..

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Johnny you said zero chance we make el Chinero and that section would take out half the field.......you were right about both.......might have jinxed yourself though.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
If it was baja that beat me I might agree but I guess we overlooked something on the car prep and it took us out ! 6 Baja Races 5 Finishes and 4 Podiums so it had to happen sooner or later

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
If it was baja that beat me I might agree but I guess we overlooked something on the car prep and it took us out ! 6 Baja Races 5 Finishes and 4 Podiums so it had to happen sooner or later
Sorry your season is done points wise but hope you still do the 1000. Maybe it's just my perspective but your one of the top guys to beat. He'll I would have been happy just to pass you......whatever else didn't happen it's best I was knocked out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000