Best sidewall tire

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Will give you a weak general answer, I have 5 UTV's each one has different tires, ITP Baja's, GBC Mongrels, BFG KM-2s, General Grabber AT's.
Sidewalls on the ITPs, General Grabbers have taken punctures to the sidewalls, and tread much more than the Mongrels and KM-2s.
The KM 2s have a thick sidewall, I have put a metal piece through the KM2's sidewall but it was a driver problem.
No sidewall issues with the GBC Mongrels, do have a few tread punctures, but that goes with what and how much they get used.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Who has the most ply's in sidewall? I've ran three different brands and having problems with all I have owned.
Have you run the original Maxxis BigHorns? Not the 2.0's.....I never had a sidewall issue with the BigHorns, and I want to say they are a six-ply sidewall.

Apr 10, 2011
Memphis,TN
... Mongrels haven't had good luck. Dirt Commanders no luck. Itp Baja cross no luck. Never been a fan of big horns. I wonder if it could be the tire size I'm running? I'm running 27x9x14 all the way around. Mack 90 is running 26x9x12 and having the same problems.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
... Mongrels haven't had good luck. Dirt Commanders no luck. Itp Baja cross no luck. Never been a fan of big horns. I wonder if it could be the tire size I'm running? I'm running 27x9x14 all the way around. Mack 90 is running 26x9x12 and having the same problems.
Might need to try the KM2 on a 15" wheel, the tire is thick and great in rocks and desert, not so much in any sand.:cool:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Is it possible it is an air pressure issue? I know if your running low air pressure you will end up with Pinch Flats.

Apr 10, 2011
Memphis,TN
Those km2's look heavy you know what they weigh? I race not ride so weight is a factor
Pressures I've been running are 14 front 15 rear and sometimes what the recommended tire pressure on the tire. I learned early on not to run low pressures. The heat the tires develop delaminates the rubber from the inside.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
What is a good air pressure for dezert? I have my 1st race is cal city April 20th 200 miles hoping to make my tires last.
15 pounds is probably fine, I have just seen people trying to run low pressure and end up with pinch flats

TIRE BALLS = NO FLATS
Thats not necessarly true, we had tire balls, they sucked. we took them out and threw them in the trash

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
First I have good luck with Tusk tires very good side wall protection.
I do mostly trail ridding air psi. 10 in front 15 in rear.
Hope this helped some of you. :rolleyes:
I just got a tusk hd tire 26x9-12 for a spare. Looks really nice but it's smaller then a 26 it's measures like 24 1/2-25 why is that if the side wall says 26?

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
Dirt commander and mongrels are 8ply. Were the side wall issues front or rear tires? We have seen issues when running 9" tires on the rear and too low of pressure that it leaves the sidewall exposed if you slide the car.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Thought of this thread when I saw this this morning!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHMb0Roc3v8&feature=em-subs_digest"]Maxxis SxS Tire Lineup - YouTube[/ame]

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I have run Bighorn 2.0 on my Rhino forever with zero issues.The only flat I ever got was when I rolled the bead off before I had bead locks. Most of my racing was GP style but I do a lot of desert riding as well and they are a tough tire.

When racing in Baja we have always run ITP and we would usually break the wheel before we would flat a tire.They can be flattened but so can all tires with the right hit.We ran the new 30 inch ITP tire in San Felipe and I really liked them and we had zero issues in the 165 miles that we went.

I have to disagree with Jim on the tire balls as they really do work but must be installed correctly.You have to build a manifold and air up all of the tire balls at the same time while they are in the tire.I never carry a spare in my Teryx when out desert riding if I have tire balls in and we do 40-50 mile loops.I ripped a hole in the sidewall you could put 2 fingers through and went another 30 miles on the tire balls and I couldnt tell a difference.

My .02

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000